Is there a Gap Wedge to match my Mizuno MP4's?

BluesManDan

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey all you Mizzy lovers. I've got a set of MP4's and want a gap wedge that is similar to the MP4's in design, you know, classic muscleback... is there anything out there?

I'm using Cleveland and Vokey wedges right now, and really prefer the design of my MP4's over the way these wedges are shaped and weighted... Any options out there? Not even the Mizuno wedges seem to be similar to the MP4's in design. As a LAST option I would consider buying an extra MP4 wedge and bending the loft, but I don't think that would be best because of what it would do regarding the bounce... (the PW is a 46/6, so I could bend it to to a 50/10)

4 degrees is a lot to bend it and 10 degrees bounce may be a little much for a GW. I personally have never gone more than 2 degrees of loft.

4 degrees is a lot to bend it and 10 degrees bounce may be a little much for a GW. I personally have never gone more than 2 degrees of loft.

Yes, I DON"T want to do that, but I would give it a try if there were no other options. Do you know of any muscleback Gap Wedges?

Wouldn't the mp t5 fit nicely?

Yes, I DON"T want to do that, but I would give it a try if there were no other options. Do you know of any muscleback Gap Wedges?

I'd think the Mizuno T-5 in 50* is probably the closest you'll get in Mizuno's line.

I haven't looked around for a while. Use a Cleveland RTX 2.0 CB (50 bent to 49) which works pretty well with my set. Still have a Mizzy JPX-800 Pro GW that I take out from time to time. Didn't sell it with the iron set because I like the club.

Wouldn't the mp t5 fit nicely?

From what I see they aren't musclebacks, but heavy bottomed blades just like a Vokey or Cleveland. Very different design with very different feel. Musclebacks have a higher CoG. But I could give it a try. They do make a 50/07. But I'm hoping there's a muscleback option.

What about an OLDER model mizuno pitching wedge? 49* used to be standard for wedges, so maybe an older muscleback PW would fit the bill... just bend it one or two degrees, maybe? But again, i'm hoping someone actually MAKES one.

I think the old Mizuno R12 wedges are closer to a blade look than just about anything else out there. I am not sure that you can find one though.

Back