Titleist 2019 ProV1 and ProV1x Golf Balls

Titleist did say they went to a thinner, softer cover ... ruh, roh.

That's interesting

Titleist did say they went to a thinner, softer cover ... ruh, roh.

They did. But they have said that even though it's thinner that there should be no drop off in durability.

That ball should of had some spin!!!!!

I gave 3 of the PV1x to the course today with craptastic drives, but my overall feeling is if I had to choose between the PV1x and the Bstone Tour Bx for the ball to use for the rest of the year the bridgestone would win.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I gave 3 of the PV1x to the course today with craptastic drives, but my overall feeling is if I had to choose between the PV1x and the Bstone Tour Bx for the ball to use for the rest of the year the bridgestone would win.

Care to add just a bit? Are we talking better spin from B-stone? Did it feel better off putter?
Was there something that really jumped out between the 2 to steer you one way?

I feel like I get better flight off the tee with the driver and more control.
Off the irons it's a wash and to me the tour Bx gets the edge with spin around the green.
Off the putter the PV1x feels better but it is so close with the eyes closed it might be a wash.

To me it is a day to day thing, have a good day all around and I love the ball.
It might be foolish but I think for me the PV1x can compound a bad swing more than the tour b

Just finished a round playing the new Pro V1x ball. I've go to say I'm very impressed with this ball. Been playing the 2018 Pro V1x ball and today with the 2019 version was eye opening.

I would think at this point in Titleist golf balls, it would be hard to make a change in a ball that is immediately noticeable. It's a softer feel at impact off ALL clubs in the bag, it fly's a little higher and goes farther, 10 yds with the driver and half a club with the irons, and checks up very well on the greens. I just can't believe how much better this Pro V1x is compared to last years.

After this dozen, or if I can find a sleeve, I want to play the Pro V1.

So, I have a round on the new V1 as well as a round on the new V1x which took place last Friday.

I did record some early data on the course I'll share later for the V1x vs the 2017 version, but I couldn't get more than that due to the senior men's league being out on the course as well and not ever getting any real breathing room to camp out for a bit on a hole as that is where I prefer to do my data collection.

Anyway, for reference, the homepage article WILL be a full review, but for data I have elected to select shots from 50 yards, 100 yards, full swing 7i or 8i, and driver. Additionally, no I will not put up data next to other brands in the review, against the prior version ProV1's? Absolutely, but not other brands. Will I share some thoughts against other brands in here? Yes, but I'm not actively going out and recording head to head data right now vs those golf balls.

I urge you all to jump in and participate with whatever Q's or thoughts you have as we go, that is what makes threads and reviews like this fun and engaging.

Now, I'm going to hop back in here in a bit and share my initial thoughts off of both balls (spoiler: they play like ProV1's and ProV1x's, meaning, they're good golf balls!) because there were some interesting happenings, like me cutting the first 1x I put into play...

As a fellow low spin player I'll be curious to see what your numbers show for the spin differences between the V1 and the V1x. I seem to find more of the ProV1's on the course and play them til I lose them instead of the ProV1x which would better suit me

Well hello there people!

The weather has been kicking my testing tail sadly, but I have two days out with these so far so despite not having the chance to really get any firm data captures yet, I do have some experience to talk on.

Personally, I am very much a ProV1x player as I want the added height more than anything else, so its where I started first and thus, its where I will start here:

2019 ProV1x:

• The move back to the grey arrows outside the ProV1x on the ball is my favorite look, its inconsequential to anything review related, but I wanted to mention it, haha
  • Off the tee with the previous version of the 1x I felt like I was leaving something on the table compared to a couple of other golf balls out there, so the talk about thinning the cover on these and making the casing layer thicker, and core alteration to increase distance performance was of immediate attention for me. Now, testing in the 40's makes distance judgment hard, but, after buying a sleeve of previous generations to hit against these I do believe I'm seeing slight increase thus far. Data will tell the real story there, I know, but to the eye the distance looks to be at least on par with other balls for me right now.
  • Off the long and short irons I have enjoyed the trajectory I'm getting, I've also seen a lot of drop and minimal hop/roll out, which in this weather is a good sign.
  • From the wedges, it plays like the last 1x for me, but I actually do think we will see an increase in peak and descent on the 2019 when I get another full data session in, I feel like here, it was just easier to hit those high little touch shots that sat down like you would expect the 1x to do.

2019 ProV1:
  • Same comment as the 1x on looks. Haha
  • Definitely a flatter flight here off the tee for me than the 2019 1x, and actually visually pretty identical to the 2017 model ProV1 for me, again, data needed there. I do think like I saw int he 1x comparison though there will be a distance increase and that with this one it is purely going to come from spin, I feel like off the tee its definitely spinning less for me, but, I could be crazy.
  • From the long and short irons the ProV1 I got some legit action into the greens with it which is a nice comfort for me to see despite the thinner cover, interestingly I actually backed some up with the ProV1 with full 7/8i's into greens.
  • Off the wedges, the flight with the 2019 ProV1 vs the ProV1x is definitely flatter, as it has been the last couple iterations. But, spin has been good, have even less data on the 1 vs the 1x though, so I really am dying to get out and get some legit numbers.

General Thoughts:
  • I don't have the Yellow, so I can't comment on those, but I'm glad they made the choice.
  • I also don't have the retail boxes with these, so I can't directly comment on seeing them in hand, but I don't think they are bad at all, can still ID easily on a shelf the 1 vs the 1x and that is all that matters.
  • Its looking like they made good on the distance increases, and if so, that is IMO a bigger deal than most will make of it because IMO the last iteration was flat out passed by Callaway and TaylorMade for distance while keeping short-game precision.
  • Durability, I know I put the pic of the cut ProV1x up, since then I have put a full round on a single ProV1x and a single ProV1 and both have held up with no cutting, so there is that.

More soon, even if it means me getting out in 32 degree weather to do it.

Questions? Thoughts? Anyone else put them into play yet?

Is there a noticeable feel coming off the putter? If someone just handed you one with out looking could you tell the sound difference off the tee? (1X always seemed clickier off driver to me) Anymore noticeable durability issues?

Is there a noticeable feel coming off the putter? If someone just handed you one with out looking could you tell the sound difference off the tee? (1X always seemed clickier off driver to me) Anymore noticeable durability issues?

Not for me, but, I rarely notice a difference off of the putter for any premium golf ball. Only time it stands out to me is super low compression like Duo's or something like a Rock Flight.

I know that is has been like this for awhile, but usually when I think X ball, I think lower spin higher compression.

Even though I know the X designation has changed throughout the market and is no longer consistent. Callaway X is higher spin, MTB Red is higher spin while Taylormade and Srixon the X ball is lower spin. Bridgestone I think with their 4 urethane balls has each portion of the segement covered, but I still don't know why I associate with prov1x with higher swing speeds/low spin and prov1 with higher spin.

So then the prov1x is lower spin compared to the prov1? Or the 1x is higher spin?

So then the prov1x is lower spin compared to the prov1? Or the 1x is higher spin?
For titleist:

ProV1x is the higher launch, higher spin ball.
ProV1 is the mid launch, mid spin ball
AVX is the lower launch, lower spin ball

Well hello there people!

The weather has been kicking my testing tail sadly, but I have two days out with these so far so despite not having the chance to really get any firm data captures yet, I do have some experience to talk on.

Personally, I am very much a ProV1x player as I want the added height more than anything else, so its where I started first and thus, its where I will start here:

2019 ProV1x:

• The move back to the grey arrows outside the ProV1x on the ball is my favorite look, its inconsequential to anything review related, but I wanted to mention it, haha
  • Off the tee with the previous version of the 1x I felt like I was leaving something on the table compared to a couple of other golf balls out there, so the talk about thinning the cover on these and making the casing layer thicker, and core alteration to increase distance performance was of immediate attention for me. Now, testing in the 40's makes distance judgment hard, but, after buying a sleeve of previous generations to hit against these I do believe I'm seeing slight increase thus far. Data will tell the real story there, I know, but to the eye the distance looks to be at least on par with other balls for me right now.
  • Off the long and short irons I have enjoyed the trajectory I'm getting, I've also seen a lot of drop and minimal hop/roll out, which in this weather is a good sign.
  • From the wedges, it plays like the last 1x for me, but I actually do think we will see an increase in peak and descent on the 2019 when I get another full data session in, I feel like here, it was just easier to hit those high little touch shots that sat down like you would expect the 1x to do.

2019 ProV1:
  • Definitely a flatter flight here off the tee for me than the 2019 1x, and actually visually pretty identical to the 2017 model ProV1 for me, again, data needed there. I do think like I saw int he 1x comparison though there will be a distance increase and that with this one it is purely going to come from spin, I feel like off the tee its definitely spinning less for me, but, I could be crazy.
  • From the long and short irons the ProV1 I got some legit action into the greens with it which is a nice comfort for me to see despite the thinner cover, interestingly I actually backed some up with the ProV1 with full 7/8i's into greens.
  • Off the wedges, the flight with the 2019 ProV1 vs the ProV1x is definitely flatter, as it has been the last couple iterations. But, spin has been good, have even less data on the 1 vs the 1x though, so I really am dying to get out and get some legit numbers.

General Thoughts:
  • I don't have the Yellow, so I can't comment on those, but I'm glad they made the choice.
  • I also don't have the retail boxes with these, so I can't directly comment on seeing them in hand, but I don't think they are bad at all, can still ID easily on a shelf the 1 vs the 1x and that is all that matters.
  • Its looking like they made good on the distance increases, and if so, that is IMO a bigger deal than most will make of it because IMO the last iteration was flat out passed by Callaway and TaylorMade for distance while keeping short-game precision.
  • Durability, I know I put the pic of the cut ProV1x up, since then I have put a full round on a single ProV1x and a single ProV1 and both have held up with no cutting, so there is that.

Wanted to bump the above for those who missed it and to add I'll be getting out FINALLY the next couple days to get my data on these, will be going 50y wedge, full PW, 7i, and Driver.

Well hello there people!

2019 ProV1x:

2019 ProV1:

General Thoughts:

so...for your game The ProV1x would be the early favorite of the 2? I definitely want to try them out at some point s Im definitely intrifued

so...for your game The ProV1x would be the early favorite of the 2? I definitely want to try them out at some point s Im definitely intrifued

Yeah, which is what I expected going in as its always been the ball I have gotten along with more.

Yeah, which is what I expected going in as its always been the ball I have gotten along with more.

Is that mainly because of the higher launch and spin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still have my protos that I got at the Titleist event but haven't been able to get them out and try them yet.

Is that mainly because of the higher launch and spin?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, for me, the flight off the tee has always benefitted me more. I'm the same in a lot of golf ball lines.

I've putted with both, and hit some chips and short pitches with the ProV1x. I have an older White Hot TriHot putter, and the V1x felt softer to me off the putter face (which I prefer). But honestly, I think they both felt fine. The V1 may have been minimally "firmer", I just preferred how the V1x felt and sounded.

With the chips and pitches the V1x seemed to have a little bit more roll out when compared to the other ball I was using (Callaway) but was not as clicky sounding as the other ball. On what I felt were similar swings/shots it maybe rolled out another foot or two.

It will be interesting to see how the V1 does on chips and pitches, as well as how both balls do with irons, driver and on the course.

after having some fun with the Z-Star review, I'm really looking forward to seeing what @jman has in store for us with this one.

after having some fun with the Z-Star review, I'm really looking forward to seeing what @jman has in store for us with this one.

Thanks buddy, I'm excited for people to read it all.

Played the new pro v1x ball and noticed the softer impact feel off all the clubs and great check on the greens. Playing the pro v1 ball tomorrow and looking forward to the results.

Got an email this morning that the Loyalty promotion is back on for this year. National rollout is March 22, but select accounts can place orders as early as March 1. You buy 3 dozen personalized balls and get one dozen free. They are adding AVX to the promotion this year as well.

Back