The House Searching / Buying/ Building Thread

realtor plus price drop =winning

We have went back and forth on that. Another person in our neighborhood (who has a realtor) just asked us last night how FSBO was. Stated they've only had 2 people come in with their agent the last two weeks. They are listed lower than us too.

We have went back and forth on that. Another person in our neighborhood (who has a realtor) just asked us last night how FSBO was. Stated they've only had 2 people come in with their agent the last two weeks. They are listed lower than us too.
Is the house updated on the inside?

I know that's a huge selling point where I'm at.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Is the house updated on the inside?

I know that's a huge selling point where I'm at.

I would think so. Mike has seen the inside and could probably weigh in.

Honestly I think it is our backyard situation. It's like a damn fishbowl.

Dang you guys are selling houses left and right. Still no offers yet on ours. Looking at the other homes in the area that are listed and have sold and we are in the ball park. Getting frustrated and I know it's been only three weeks, but I've got a timeline here. Need to get an address in Florida to get the kids enrolled in school.

I'll give you $50 and a shag bag full of Warbird golf balls. There, you received your first offer. :alien: I'll hire 441 as my agent to make sure you don't try anything shady on me. :alien:

Sucks to hear things aren't going that great. I've known a few people that have done the FSBO and it's worked out decently for all parties. But it was more of word of mouth that they wanted to sell and told the right people that wanted the house. You've got it listed at a good time. Maybe give it a little bit longer once the warmer weather really arrives and you might get a few bites. If nothing else, you can stay here in beautiful Ohio with the rest of us. :act-up:

Put in my bid for the townhouse today. Fingers are crossed.

The House Searching / Buying/ Building Thread

Man met with a realtor last night and just don't know. Looking at close to 23k-20k in commission based on our selling price. Just can't see giving that much money away. I know we would make money based on equity, but damn!!!

Man met with a realtor last night and just don't know. Looking at close to 23k-20k in commission based on our selling price. Just can't see giving that much money away. I know we would make money based on equity, but damn!!!
Yep that's brutal.

We are being aske if we are willing to split the back taxes on the houses, our half would be an additional $23k lol, otherwise the seller may have to back out.

Not a chance gohstrider, pay your own effing taxes, I paid mine! Where do people get the balls to ask that?

We are being aske if we are willing to split the back taxes on the houses, our half would be an additional $23k lol, otherwise the seller may have to back out.

Not a chance gohstrider, pay your own effing taxes, I paid mine! Where do people get the balls to ask that?

"No interest, and I'm not sure many other buyers would be interested in that either, especially at the same sales price. It would also be a shame if the property was seized due to back taxes.."

"No interest, and I'm not sure many other buyers would be interested in that either, especially at the same sales price. It would also be a shame if the property was seized due to back taxes.."

That's what they're trying to avoid Mike, a seizure. It would be one thing if it appraised much higher than the asking price and the equity was there but this one was just appraised at a little over the financing price. Thank God for title searches and a good realtor covering our butts

When doing new construction... what does everyone recommend as far as upgrades done at the time of build vs. down the road? Is it based on cost that would sway an opinion?

We are leaning new construction and want to do some upgrades (hardwood in additional areas, recessed lighting in additional rooms, upgraded fixtures, etc..), but I am wondering if I would be better off doing the majority of it down the road and not through the actual home builder.

I feel like the easier way is to have the builder do the majority of it so that it is the way you want it when you move in.

We just built a house, so I'll try and touch on a couple of questions you had.

First the loan, we didn't get a construction loan, with our builder(#1 builder in Michigan) we put so much down on the lot and got a pre approval from our bank. Then once the house was done we went through the closing process. It kinda sucks that way as you can't have any hiccups in credit/money while they are building the house. My buddy went the opposite way and got a construction loan and used a buddy that builds houses to build his, they pretty much told him we will tell you when you're about out of money. So in that aspect that's nice.

As for the upgrades, I will say this. If you can do it yourself then don't pay to have it done. Labor is the most expensive cost in a project. When we went in I had a set budget to spend on extras, we ended up doubling that number and I had to ask the bank for more money. I'd say do your kitchen exactly how you want it, it's one of rooms people spend the most time in, and it's the hardest/most expensive to upgrade. We probably spent half our upgrade budget on the kitchen. Also get what you want, if it's granite get it, the cost difference really isn't that much, compared to paying someone to come in and redo it. We also went with laminate floors through the whole downstairs, if you have kids it's the best thing you can do. Saves money over hardwood but looks just as good.

Things I didn't do thru the builder was my basement, they wanted 20k to finish it, which is right on pace with what the contractors wanted, but I'm pretty handy and I've priced out material and it's under 5k for what I want done. Also we contracts our landscaping out. The builder landscaping was suspect at best. But you are able to have money set aside in your escrow account to cover that, which is what I wish I would have done. The price I thought landscaping would cost was not even close, it was double if not triple what I was going to spend and it all came out of my pocket.

If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what they're trying to avoid Mike, a seizure. It would be one thing if it appraised much higher than the asking price and the equity was there but this one was just appraised at a little over the financing price. Thank God for title searches and a good realtor covering our butts

Just wait for it to go up on tax sale and buy it super cheap. Haha

Looking to upgrade our counter tops, and I know a guy who is a brick mason. He showed me some pictures of brick counter tops and they look pretty awesome. Anyone have experience with them? Only questions I have concern durability.

Looking to upgrade our counter tops, and I know a guy who is a brick mason. He showed me some pictures of brick counter tops and they look pretty awesome. Anyone have experience with them? Only questions I have concern durability.

Brick? I'm listening... Any photos you can share? I've never heard of brick countertops. I like some of the concrete I've seen, but idk about brick.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Brick? I'm listening... Any photos you can share? I've never heard of brick countertops. I like some of the concrete I've seen, but idk about brick.
There are a couple that he sent me ... one finished, one unfinished. Was also thinking about having him do either the kitchen floor and/or the sitting room floor in our next house if it needs reflooring.

brick1.jpg brick2.jpg

Wow. Those look good! I assume they're sealed somehow to keep from getting funky. Those really are impressive looking.

There are a couple that he sent me ... one finished, one unfinished. Was also thinking about having him do either the kitchen floor and/or the sitting room floor in our next house if it needs reflooring.

View attachment 23957 View attachment 23958

I I like the concept but how do you keep the mortar joints free and clean of food and bacteria? Seems like it would be tough to clean

View attachment 23957 View attachment 23958
Tom how long do you plan on being in your current house? The reason I ask is if it is only a short period of time (which i think from our conversations it is) when doing upgrades it may be best to do something that hits as many people as possible when selling the house. While I think the brick looks pretty cool I think it is so different some may be turned away or the house may be worth less in their mind (even though it is an upgrade). It is a tough thing with upgrades if you go to personal (depending on taste) you risk diminishing the market but of course we all want something we like looking at while there. Also on the flip side many may love it and make it a selling point for the house so always tough to gauge

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I I like the concept but how do you keep the mortar joints free and clean of food and bacteria? Seems like it would be tough to clean
I'm assuming polyurethane or some other sealant. Similar to concrete counter tops in that regard I assume.

Tom how long do you plan on being in your current house?
We don't plan on staying in this house much beyond six more months, but the counter tops were the originals, so they're 30 year old laminate. I could go really on the cheap and just replace them with new laminate ... or just sell it with the kitchen "as is".

I'm assuming polyurethane or some other sealant. Similar to concrete counter tops in that regard I assume.

We don't plan on staying in this house much beyond six more months, but the counter tops were the originals, so they're 30 year old laminate. I could go really on the cheap and just replace them with new laminate ... or just sell it with the kitchen "as is".

Might be worth the time to ask a realtor what their thoughts are. They see a lot of unfiltered reactions from people so they might have an idea of how something like that would be received.

Might be worth the time to ask a realtor what their thoughts are. They see a lot of unfiltered reactions from people so they might have an idea of how something like that would be received.
Yeah, probably will. It's something I'm going to keep in my back pocket, at the very least, for the next house. We've seen close to a couple dozen houses at this point, and only two had what I could call "renovated" kitchens. I know it's probably the last part of a house you'd renovate because it's the most expensive ... but honestly, the houses we're looking at now all have kitchens smaller than the one in my house and they're double the total square footage.

I guess it shows that I'm Italian. The main selling point for my house was the kitchen. It also annoys me that none of the houses I've seen have gas stoves. It's probably an improvement I'll have to pay for after we close.

Back