Distance vs Dispersion which is more important to you?

If you are just looking at the numbers and taking which order you may have hit these in out of the equation, I would take green. It is a full club longer on average than orange, has better height than some of the other longer options, and the dispersion is honestly not that bad. You weren't spraying with it, and other than the one outlier, it seemed to be fairly consistent.

I would agree. My pick is green.

I would go for Green as well, the consistency is there with the exception of the one "wayward" result. The distance and launch angle also work better for my swing.

first of all, those are some really good numbers. winter swing my ass.

the txg guys have said this, and i have experienced it myself. people say they'll take dispersion all day long, but the reality is as soon as you put a club in someone's hands that doesn't go as far as their gamer, they aren't interested. NOBODY wants to lose distance. so for your op question, my answer is dispersion as long as i'm not losing distance.

i did a high end fitting back in 2017. we had one setup that was incredibly consistent. higher launching and higher spinning, so a little shorter, but automatic. then there was another setup that wasn't as consistent, but it gave me the best ball speeds and the most potential. we went with the faster ball speed, and it was a mistake. i should have gone with the consistency.

now, to your question of which i would choose. i would choose pink or green. pink gives you the fastest club speed, the fastest ball speed, and a very good grouping. it also gave you the ability to deliver the club with almost neutral aoa. launch and spin are good, and carry was almost the highest. green gave you the second fastest club speed, among the highest ball speed, great launch, really good spin, highest carry, and very consistent distance. one shot out to the right, but two pretty much on top of each other. between pink and green, i would go with green.

Good post. I just did a "high end fitting" and did not choose the setup that gave me the highest ball speeds or distance. The option I went with was only a few yards shorter but I did not have the big miss I was seeing with every other setup. I don't think you have to sacrifice consistency for distance; there is a happy median for most people I would guess.

All that being said, green is probably the way I would go as well. It would be hard to give up that much distance with the orange in this instance.

first of all, those are some really good numbers. winter swing my ass.

the txg guys have said this, and i have experienced it myself. people say they'll take dispersion all day long, but the reality is as soon as you put a club in someone's hands that doesn't go as far as their gamer, they aren't interested. NOBODY wants to lose distance. so for your op question, my answer is dispersion as long as i'm not losing distance.

i did a high end fitting back in 2017. we had one setup that was incredibly consistent. higher launching and higher spinning, so a little shorter, but automatic. then there was another setup that wasn't as consistent, but it gave me the best ball speeds and the most potential. we went with the faster ball speed, and it was a mistake. i should have gone with the consistency.

now, to your question of which i would choose. i would choose pink or green. pink gives you the fastest club speed, the fastest ball speed, and a very good grouping. it also gave you the ability to deliver the club with almost neutral aoa. launch and spin are good, and carry was almost the highest. green gave you the second fastest club speed, among the highest ball speed, great launch, really good spin, highest carry, and very consistent distance. one shot out to the right, but two pretty much on top of each other. between pink and green, i would go with green.

At first glance the pink does stand out with those numbers, but if you look at face angle is and face to path its one of the only ones where the face is open at impact. Which is probably why the pink dots are out to the right. Whether thats a swing issue on those shots or the shaft itself I'm not sure but otherwise all other numbers are pretty solid with that one.

What about white? Those numbers are pretty decent as well.

Good post. I just did a "high end fitting" and did not choose the setup that gave me the highest ball speeds or distance. The option I went with was only a few yards shorter but I did not have the big miss I was seeing with every other setup. I don't think you have to sacrifice consistency for distance; there is a happy median for most people I would guess.

All that being said, green is probably the way I would go as well. It would be hard to give up that much distance with the orange in this instance.

orange was also launching pretty low and did not get to a very good peak height. but it was spinning a lot. i wonder whether orange was too stiff, and he was catching it low on the face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

At first glance the pink does stand out with those numbers, but if you look at face angle is and face to path its one of the only ones where the face is open at impact. Which is probably why the pink dots are out to the right. Whether thats a swing issue on those shots or the shaft itself I'm not sure but otherwise all other numbers are pretty solid with that one.

What about white? Those numbers are pretty decent as well.

it didn’t launch high enough or carry far enough. good ball speed and smash. but i’m not giving up 7 yards of carry.

Pink and it’s not remotely close for me.

Pink and it’s not remotely close for me.

You obviously have lots of experience with shafts and launch monitors....can you explain why?

You obviously have lots of experience with shafts and launch monitors....can you explain why?

Because I really like all the data other than the face angle, which is a user error. Potential wise, for what I need and like to see, it has the most for me, though it’s a right miss, it’s consistent and well grouped with really good ball speed and right around that 30y peak I want.

Distance vs Dispersion which is more important to you?

Light green. Longer than every single orange one, they’re ALL in the fairway, seen “behind” the dots, and the DISTANCE dispersion is EXTREMELY tight. Not much front-to-back, and not much left to right. Easy choice.

Light green, other than bad swing that thing was a thumper.

Greeeeeeen and as opposed typing out my reasons just reread what @mclovin wrote and this is why I would go green.

No ones swing is perfect. Your going to have misses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll go color by color in my analysis.

Yellow: Immediately out. Shortest, highest spinning, and most shots off the grid. Get neither distance nor dispersion.

White: This one is interesting. The miss is shorter and left while the misses for other colors is right. Launch is a little low with solid spin, but distance of the solid two rivals green. I'd say this is a good contender.

Pink: All of the numbers on this one looks great, except the face angle 2* open leading to those misses right (I assume). Could be in the shaft pairing, could be just two consistently bad swings. If this one could be straightened out, it's a solid contender. For now, I'd rule it out based on plug and play.

Red: A bit of a complex here. Highest ball speed/smash says that the quality of contact is there, but the spread is pretty wide. Add in that it's lower launching and higher spinning than others, which robs the shots of distance, I'd be ruling this shaft out.

Green: This color seems to have it all. Distance of all the shots is very consistent and the miss right is still in play. The launch and spin look great and gets to a peak height over 30 yards, which leads it to be the leader in distance. Very, very strong contender here.

Orange: Ahhh the debate. Incredibly tight spread of shots, under a blanket really. But it's on the shorter side and the ball speed/launch/spin numbers aren't as good as others we are seeing. I think this one is a departure from the rest and might be a bit unfamiliar in the hands as the smash is down, but it is a great choice based on consistency.

Final conclusion: I'd be installing GREEN into the driver. It's the longest with the best launch numbers and the dispersion of the bad shot is 2nd best of the bunch of rough shots. In the end, I'm not willing to give up almost 13 yards in avg distance that orange is providing, along with the numbers that are less than optimal, in order to get a tighter spread of shots. 13 yards is past my breaking point for better accuracy and the difference in accuracy isn't that great to outweigh it. White and pink, are probably my #2a and b followed by orange.

The one thing I noted in my remarks about pink is there are only 2 shots in it.

Pink could have potential, but something must have been really off if only 2 of the shots were averaged before moving onto the next option. Either there were some real bad shots that were removed (doubt this) or something was going on with the feel and the golfer and fitter moved on.

Pink is definitely playable, but would require a different aim line.

I still lean towards green.

For me hitting indoors on a monitor is a good start but golf is not played indoors and the real world wind and turf conditons have a bigger effect on the distance I see than what the launch monitors indicate. That means that I need to take a shaft on the range and also play it for a few rounds before I know that it fits my game. I have to have a shaft where I can control the trajectory and there is no substitue for watching the ball flight and seeing where the ball finishes in the fairways of my home course during an actual round of golf.

I might actually give white a 2nd and 3rd chance. That one hooked can be a concern but I prefer losing a ball left vs right, hate right, as left is an easier adjustment for me (at least mentally speaking).

Considering the cumulative is still very good, I'd want to give that shaft a longer look.

If it was me I would eliminate all others except the pink and orange. Then get a bigger sample size with the two.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So which color in the example would do it for you?
Ooohhh, I missed that. Orange for sure. White moved further left is what my dispersion generally looks like. On a launch monitor I rarely end up right of the target line. White and red here are definitely interesting options as well. I'm guessing there is clear draw from white and a fade from red. I guess any of the 3 orange, white, or red would work. Green is fine too, but that looks like it could get unpredictable on a bad swing day.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I'll take green - theres one outlier there, and if you get rid of that one the dispersion is tight there. And it's the longest.

Club speed AND smash factor are higher. I think you could work with dispersion there. 3-4 shots is really too few to make any real empirical calls on dispersion.

My ego tells me to chose green, but the smart golfer in me says go orange. The total carry distance difference is right around 12yds, which is quite a bit, but the offline numbers tell me orange is the one to go with.

I think that you aren't losing much in terms of your second shot options, you'll have more playable tee shots and give you more opportunities to hit a GIR.

I would go green all day. The dispersion of orange is great but green is easily a club longer and take away the one wayward shot, dispersion is just as good.

The real answer here is that you haven’t hit enough shots with any color to reach a final decision on which shaft is best. If I had watched just the first quarter of Saints vs Rams when they were up 13-0 I would have concluded the Saint crushed them. Same is true here. Four good shots, or one bad one is not enough data.

The real answer here is that you haven’t hit enough shots with any color to reach a final decision on which shaft is best. If I had watched just the first quarter of Saints vs Rams when they were up 13-0 I would have concluded the Saint crushed them. Same is true here. Four good shots, or one bad one is not enough data.

i don't think that's fair for everyone. i can think of plenty of times i have taken 2 or 3 swings with a club and known it's not going to be good for me. no reason to keep flailing away. and same can be said for something i hit 2 or 3 times with almost the same results each time, love the feel, and can lock it in as "the one."

I'd be leaning strongly towards lime green. Launch and spin look pretty ideal here. At first glance, orange looks very nice, but 9* launch and 3k spin at 155 ball speed isn't my idea of a great driver setup.

I'd recommend a few more swings with the lime green setup, but all things considered that looks to be the best from this group.

I'd love to see a much longer session between the orange, the green, and the white before I made my decision.

Would be hard pressed to pass up the accuracy of the orange though. Real hard.

Back