Distance vs Dispersion which is more important to you?

I'd go pink due to the long distance and consistent one-way miss.
Heck if you ever learn to square that combo up it would be BOMBS!

I'd go with orange good distance and tight dispersion.

My initial thought was orange. My driving is generally dead straight one day or a two-way miss another. So I like the consistency of orange. However, Green is pretty respectable dispersion-wise AND nets you 16ish yards (Carry & Roll). 295 looks better than 278. The reward of distance might outweigh the risk of added dispersion. It's a toss up for me.

The picture in the OP shows that . . .

2 balls were hit using the pink club
3 balls were hit using the yellow, white and green clubs
4 balls were hit using the red and the orange clubs

If they are going to do a comparison, at least hit an equal amount of balls with each club.

The real answer here is that you haven’t hit enough shots with any color to reach a final decision on which shaft is best. If I had watched just the first quarter of Saints vs Rams when they were up 13-0 I would have concluded the Saint crushed them. Same is true here. Four good shots, or one bad one is not enough data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When doing shaft fitting, it’s not recommended to swing more than three times as the golfer will start to adjust their swing to the shaft. Three for each is the norm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Green was the first one that stuck out to me. Nice consistent distance and just one outlier from a diversion perspective. Could have been a poor release not squaring the club face on the one swing.

I'd love to see a much longer session between the orange, the green, and the white before I made my decision.

Would be hard pressed to pass up the accuracy of the orange though. Real hard.
I think what a lot of people miss is the fitting protocol that I think you are alluding to. When doing a fitting, it's often practice to hit ~3 shots with a combination. From that data and the golfers feedback, it's often much more clear if it's worthy of a deeper look.
The picture in the OP shows that . . .

2 balls were hit using the pink club
3 balls were hit using the yellow, white and green clubs
4 balls were hit using the red and the orange clubs

If they are going to do a comparison, at least hit an equal amount of balls with each club.
Oh making it difficult is so much more fun than having a fruitful conversation, right?

I would like orange but green is a close second to me. I’m known to spray one right from time to time. That one looks like a pattern I could do when I don’t turn the club over enough.

Oh making it difficult is so much more fun than having a fruitful conversation, right?

Golf is a difficult game - all the discussion in this forum about golf verifies that fact.

Let's say I was interested in purchasing a new driver, so I try out 6 different drivers. Now would I hit an equal amount of balls with each driver before deciding which driver I was going to shell out top dollars for or would I base my purchase decision on clubs I only hit half as many balls with before arriving at my decision? I don't know about you or others, but I'm the sort of person that would have to equally test out each of the drivers under consideration before arriving at my final decision. I don't want to buy and then later have regrets after it's too late to change my mind.

Golf is a difficult game - all the discussion in this forum about golf verifies that fact.

Let's say I was interested in purchasing a new driver, so I try out 6 different drivers. Now would I hit an equal amount of balls with each driver before deciding which driver I was going to shell out top dollars for or would I base my purchase decision on clubs I only hit half as many balls with before arriving at my decision? I don't know about you or others, but I'm the sort of person that would have to equally test out each of the drivers under consideration before arriving at my final decision. I don't want to buy and then later have regrets after it's too late to change my mind.

I would tend to agree with you when trying to decide on a driver head. However in this case the driver head was exactly the same and this discussion was about shafts and distance vs dispersion. Trying to fit the right shaft for the player with that head. Each color represented a different shaft model. During a fitting a fitter or even yourself can know pretty quickly in 2-3 swings whether or not that shaft is a good fit. Point in case the yellow dot... Those dots aren't even in the same ball park as the rest so why continue to swing with that shaft and get tired?

I would agree that more testing may be required after narrowing it down but this was just about having a discussion on what the forum thought regarding which option they would take having only data and no shaft info.

Also, saving swings is a thing during a fitting. You are usually hitting more shots in a shorter time period compared to a range session.

And a lot of times it's pretty evident that you dont like the feel of a certain shaft so time to move on. The challenge for a fitter is to find something you like the feel of and produces good numbers.

Good post. I just did a "high end fitting" and did not choose the setup that gave me the highest ball speeds or distance. The option I went with was only a few yards shorter but I did not have the big miss I was seeing with every other setup. I don't think you have to sacrifice consistency for distance; there is a happy median for most people I would guess.

All that being said, green is probably the way I would go as well. It would be hard to give up that much distance with the orange in this instance.

orange was also launching pretty low and did not get to a very good peak height. but it was spinning a lot. i wonder whether orange was too stiff, and he was catching it low on the face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don't know why I missed your question but... nailed it. What if I told you all strikes with the orange were low on the face? Does that change your thought from green to orange?

Don't know why I missed your question but... nailed it. What if I told you all strikes with the orange were low on the face? Does that change your thought from green to orange?

Definitely too stiff for you :bananadance:

White for me. Good distance, good spin. Yeah you turned over a little on one, but not that bad. Anyone can have one bad shot when only 3 balls were hit. The other 2 were piped down the middle.

Love the thread and very nice numbers. When is the big reveal on the clubs, shafts?? Dispersion for me all day, and I’d take the orange maybe the green if it was a mishit. My game depends on hitting my second from the fairway every time as I’ve lost some yards over the years. I would take consistency over even 10-15 yards every time! When I tee it up and just know I’m hitting it in the fairway this crazy game becomes somewhat tolerable. ��

Orange no question for me.

Maybe consider the green if the difference in distance was a little more but i'll take the accuracy.

I'll go color by color in my analysis.

Yellow: Immediately out. Shortest, highest spinning, and most shots off the grid. Get neither distance nor dispersion.

White: This one is interesting. The miss is shorter and left while the misses for other colors is right. Launch is a little low with solid spin, but distance of the solid two rivals green. I'd say this is a good contender.

Pink: All of the numbers on this one looks great, except the face angle 2* open leading to those misses right (I assume). Could be in the shaft pairing, could be just two consistently bad swings. If this one could be straightened out, it's a solid contender. For now, I'd rule it out based on plug and play.

Red: A bit of a complex here. Highest ball speed/smash says that the quality of contact is there, but the spread is pretty wide. Add in that it's lower launching and higher spinning than others, which robs the shots of distance, I'd be ruling this shaft out.

Green: This color seems to have it all. Distance of all the shots is very consistent and the miss right is still in play. The launch and spin look great and gets to a peak height over 30 yards, which leads it to be the leader in distance. Very, very strong contender here.

Orange: Ahhh the debate. Incredibly tight spread of shots, under a blanket really. But it's on the shorter side and the ball speed/launch/spin numbers aren't as good as others we are seeing. I think this one is a departure from the rest and might be a bit unfamiliar in the hands as the smash is down, but it is a great choice based on consistency.

Final conclusion: I'd be installing GREEN into the driver. It's the longest with the best launch numbers and the dispersion of the bad shot is 2nd best of the bunch of rough shots. In the end, I'm not willing to give up almost 13 yards in avg distance that orange is providing, along with the numbers that are less than optimal, in order to get a tighter spread of shots. 13 yards is past my breaking point for better accuracy and the difference in accuracy isn't that great to outweigh it. White and pink, are probably my #2a and b followed by orange.

Green, for these reasons given above...

not really. if it's a shaft you struggled with, it's a shaft you struggled with.

I am not expert but would hitting it lower on the face, which resulted in a lower launch angle and lower peak height, indicate that the shaft weight and/or stiffness is not ideal? The orange also went dead straight, so what the heck do I know?????

I am not expert but would hitting it lower on the face, which resulted in a lower launch angle and lower peak height, indicate that the shaft weight and/or stiffness is not ideal? The orange also went dead straight, so what the heck do I know?????

I have no idea either haha.

I would assume that hitting it lower on the face did in fact result in lower launch, lower ball speed, lower peak and increased spin. Which makes me wonder is that shaft or user error? I don't really understand how stiffness would affect where you hit the ball on the face of the club. Couldn't it be something as simple as teeing the ball up higher?

I would assume that hitting it lower on the face did in fact result in lower launch, lower ball speed, lower peak and increased spin. Which makes me wonder is that shaft or user error? I don't really understand how stiffness would affect where you hit the ball on the face of the club. Couldn't it be something as simple as teeing the ball up higher?
To be completely honest, when I switched up driver shafts this year (and kept the head the same) I had to figure out setup entirely over again. Different weight and feel of the shaft had me a little more forward in the stance and tee up a little bit. There might be something to that.

maybe, but did you have to tee the other shafts higher? if not, then there's just something about that profile that isn't working for you. could be the stiffness, but could also just be the profile and the way you and the shaft are reacting to each other.

hitting low on the face will cause the club to tilt down and launch the ball lower. it also increases spin. and that increase in spin can result in a very straight if shorter shot. that's my miss. it's very straight, but it's not max distance. but a very playable miss.

I agree with McLovin. If you didn't have to tee it higher with the other ones, is that an indication of it not being a good fit for you? If you feel like you are having to make the shaft work you, then I would shy away from it. You should be able to swing your natural swing.

So for those following along here are the shafts that were part of this discussion

Orange = Helium 5F5
Green = Hzrdus Yellow
White = Hzrdus Red
Pink = Atmos Black
Red = Hzrdus Smoke
Yellow = 2KXV Green

So for those following along here are the shafts that were part of this discussion

Orange = Helium 5F5
Green = Hzrdus Yellow
White = Hzrdus Red
Pink = Atmos Black
Red = Hzrdus Smoke
Yellow = 2KXV Green

very interesting. i wonder if the atmos blue would be a better fit than the black.

and i'm not surprised that the hzrdus yellow gave you such great numbers. you love that thing!

Back