Distance vs Dispersion which is more important to you?

jdtox

Lord Tox
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Thought this would be a fun discussion.. below are some Trackman numbers for a driver and a dispersion chart, shaft names have been removed to make this blindly based on the numbers and picture alone.

If its dispersion I think there is a clear winner, however if you want a little more distance then there are choices and of course there are some that just don't fit. Based on what you see below which color would you choose as a driver shaft and why?

f27573ba38bb8391d0d36ca6e4abed8a.jpg

The orange that is central between 240 and 260 every time for me

Unless I am reading the graphic wrong, the orange one appears to be the clear winner for both distance and accuracy.
Also, regarding distance, I think 235 off the tee is enough yardage to shoot 72 at just about any golf course, so the OP's examples averaging about 275 all have more than enough distance.

Because my main issue is keeping the ball in play I would go with orange. From the fairways my score is much better.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Orange! Has it all.

Decent distance and great grouping, the only one that looks to be all fairway hits.

A lot of people think dispersion is just left and right when its long and short too. The orange ticks all your boxes and I'd be going for that one if me.

Green could be a very close second as that one green right could be just an off swing.

Hey but what do I know, I've just started hitting my wifes M2 driver with a 45g L-Shaft and I'm smashing it straighter and better than any driver I've ever hit, go figure :bulgy-eyes:

See below hehe. Let's get good conversation going.

I got side-tracked here at work :D

My reason for the orange is it has the tightest dispersion in all directions, there are others that are longer, but they have either a wider dispersion side-to-side or back-to-front

It is interesting that the pink (off to the right) only appears to be based on 2 shots - would be curious to see if that was a constant theme for that particular shaft? If it could be straightened up to be nearer the centre-line of the fairway then it could have been considered, but the front to back dispersion looks to be quite large which could make certain choices difficult when stood on a tee with a hazard you are unsure about being able to carry

Last edited:
Orange. All. Day.
I struggle with keeping the ball in play and that grouping is way too good to pass up. I would gladly sacrifice 10 yards if it meant more fairways. Or even more roughs. Just keeping the ball on the right hole would be a nice change some days.

Dispersion. I can hit a driver all over the place if it is not setup properly.

Orange or Even the Pink is what I would go for.

Depends on setup but pink in driver and orange in driver/3w

Orange looks like you had all 4 shots with a relatively neutral swing and face to path, high spin helps keep this on the planet. This however means lower spin shots might be a bit wild compared to the stock shot.

Pink looks like only 2 shots so not sure what to gather from it. Definitely results in a different ball flight where you need to readjust where you aim. There is also the question on if you can turn it over. Probably not a good fit for your current swing, but has potential.

Red looks wild, but you got the most ballspeed. Not sure if you can control this.

Green looks like a good mixture of distance and control, but you still had one wild one. Most importantly, your miss still looks like it traveled the correct distance.

White looks like you turned over too easy and yellow looks like a poor fit.

Out of those I would probably go between orange and green. This would then depend on the style of player you are. If you are stronger iron player orange would probably be better, green I would go with if you are a better driver of the ball. Green looks like with familarity you will tighten up dispersion, orange I would be afraid of any low spinners.

I am going with the green, there is only one outlying shot there so that could be just a bad swing. It has nice distance and the other shots are nice and tight.

Dispersion. I can hit a driver all over the place if it is not setup properly.

So which color in the example would do it for you?

Orange, all day, every day, twice on Sunday

Based on the small sample size I would say white or orange. Would like to see both colours with more loft on the club though as launch is low with both, so would be curious to see what happens to those two with a little more launch.

In order I'd be happy with Orange, White, Green. This is my biggest issue currently. I can hit it a ways but usually more around the Red and pink dispersion. I'm hoping to not over swing this year and get some more drives into the fairway.

If you are just looking at the numbers and taking which order you may have hit these in out of the equation, I would take green. It is a full club longer on average than orange, has better height than some of the other longer options, and the dispersion is honestly not that bad. You weren't spraying with it, and other than the one outlier, it seemed to be fairly consistent.

I can't separate one from the other unless I'm playing an extremely wide open course!

If its dispersion I think there is a clear winner, however if you want a little more distance then there are choices and of course there are some that just don't fit. Based on what you see below which color would you choose as a driver shaft and why?

first of all, those are some really good numbers. winter swing my ass.

the txg guys have said this, and i have experienced it myself. people say they'll take dispersion all day long, but the reality is as soon as you put a club in someone's hands that doesn't go as far as their gamer, they aren't interested. NOBODY wants to lose distance. so for your op question, my answer is dispersion as long as i'm not losing distance.

i did a high end fitting back in 2017. we had one setup that was incredibly consistent. higher launching and higher spinning, so a little shorter, but automatic. then there was another setup that wasn't as consistent, but it gave me the best ball speeds and the most potential. we went with the faster ball speed, and it was a mistake. i should have gone with the consistency.

now, to your question of which i would choose. i would choose pink or green. pink gives you the fastest club speed, the fastest ball speed, and a very good grouping. it also gave you the ability to deliver the club with almost neutral aoa. launch and spin are good, and carry was almost the highest. green gave you the second fastest club speed, among the highest ball speed, great launch, really good spin, highest carry, and very consistent distance. one shot out to the right, but two pretty much on top of each other. between pink and green, i would go with green.

Orange, unless that one green was just a fluke.

Green and white have 1 shot that is causing a larger dispersion but both are longer and lower spinning than orange. I would take those 3 shafts and hit 6 more shots each to make a decision.

I take green all day.
It’s full club longer and still able to find fairways. Even if it miss one out four fairway hit. No problem there. Consistent distance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

first of all, those are some really good numbers. winter swing my ass.

the txg guys have said this, and i have experienced it myself. people say they'll take dispersion all day long, but the reality is as soon as you put a club in someone's hands that doesn't go as far as their gamer, they aren't interested. NOBODY wants to lose distance. so for your op question, my answer is dispersion as long as i'm not losing distance.

i did a high end fitting back in 2017. we had one setup that was incredibly consistent. higher launching and higher spinning, so a little shorter, but automatic. then there was another setup that wasn't as consistent, but it gave me the best ball speeds and the most potential. we went with the faster ball speed, and it was a mistake. i should have gone with the consistency.

now, to your question of which i would choose. i would choose pink or green. pink gives you the fastest club speed, the fastest ball speed, and a very good grouping. it also gave you the ability to deliver the club with almost neutral aoa. launch and spin are good, and carry was almost the highest. green gave you the second fastest club speed, among the highest ball speed, great launch, really good spin, highest carry, and very consistent distance. one shot out to the right, but two pretty much on top of each other. between pink and green, i would go with green.
This is a great post. Well done sir.

Green all day long! It’s the big dog, I want as much distance out of it as I can get. If there’s a tight driving hole or trouble toward it’s consistent miss, put a safe one out there with the 3W. Distance was also very consistent with green which is very nice for holes with forced carry.

Not to mention I like the launch, height, and spin that green produced. That clubs gonna be long anywhere, at any time of the year and for the most part it’s pretty consistent.

Dispersion for me. Control was an area I worked on through lessons and practice in 2018. It improved my distance and using the new Big Bertha irons will help that too. I hit 50 balls last night in my indoor simulator and the dispersion looked great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back