New to site. Don't want to wade through 1000 messages. so

Canes075

Reaction score
Handicap
I will just ask. Can you change the lie of any golf club? Cavity back? Forged? Driver? I find I need to because of my set up have a higher lie angle. Anyways. Thanks for any responses, and i can't believe i didn't know about this place sooner. Golf is awesome.

You can change the lie on most any golf clubs... some have a higher level of danger in doing the adjustment (hosel cracks/breaks) but it can be done.

Yes, golf is awesome

You can adjust lie angles upright on a majority of clubs, whether it be a forged iron or adapter on a metalwood. You can bend the lie on a cast iron/wedge as well, but it's more liable to break and some club shops won't do it. You could always custom order new stuff from a company with a custom lie angle.

Welcome to THP.

As has been said, most clubs are able to be altered for lie, but some cannot. Of those that can, some are more susceptible to breaking. More important that than the method of manufacture is the materials used to make the club. Softer materials lend a better chance of bending without breaking. I've probably bent more cast clubs than forged. I've never had anything break on me, but I only bent clubs that were made of soft materials that were easy to bend.

Welcome to the forum! Golf is great. THP makes it greaterest.

Welcome! Lie angles are much more critical the more lofted the club. I'm 2 degrees flat with my irons but have never needed any adjustment with my woods. Even in a hybrid or long iron the effect of lie on shot direction is minimal. My 19* driving iron is standard lie angle and I have no tendency to pull it like I would big time if my wedges were standard lie.

Ok good to know. I have also been looking at the one length irons. Very intriguing. I am due for a new set of clubs this spring.

A lot of drivers, FWs and hybrids don't have a long enough hosel to make a lie adjustment. Not many clubmakers will even try it. If you are looking to go upright to standard, about all adjustable clubs have upright setting built into their adapters. In regards to irons, as others have said, any forged iron / wedge can easily be altered to desired lie angle.

I wouldn't try it with hybrids, woods, or drivers. More then one club builder told me you risk breakage.

Back