THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

For the first 8 selected. Now that you know for sure you are in, will you change your practice habits or continue with what you have been doing? I know weather has been a factor but has your mindset changed towards how you will approach this awesome event?

I already had a plan in place, and will continue to follow it. I have had a position change, which may benefit those plans. My main goals are to try and get some more distance off the tee, and get my wedge game even sharper. I'm never going to be overly long off the tee, so GIR are going to be less than a lot of players here. Longer wedges on par 5's and shorter wedges around the greens will be paramount, and I know it. The good thing is practicing wedge shots is easier on my body, and since that's where I plan on doing a lot of work, that will be a benefit to me.

Disappointed I didn't get it (yet) but super excited for those who got their numbers called!

Until the captains picks come out, I will continue with my three Ps. Putting, pace, and path. I feel like I'm entering the golf season as ready as I've ever been so this has been a success either way.

I find this curious.

Ratcheting up the intensity is very odd in my mind. In the beginning of all this I clearly stated that waiting till teams are pick to start working would be too late.

Now that you've been selected? Did you not have faith.

Words on the screen are just words. As the saying goes

I'm from Missouri....show me.

Yes, you did say that in the beginning. And it's true, words are only words on the screen, but, there is an element of doubt that lingers that comes with the unknown which can adversely affect the mental part of my game during practice sessions. It's the mental aspect that I want to make sure is just as sharp as my game will be. Regardless, I still worked on my game because I wanted to be ready for whatever may come to be.

For those of you who don't end up getting in, how many of you plan on going and supporting your team for the range session and dinner afterward?

My goal is obviously to get into the event, but I do plan on supporting the DMV team at RNK if I don't make it. I only live about 45 minutes away from the course so it would be easy for me to come over an meet everyone and cheer everyone on.

Carolina guys that are a part of the team I have sent you a question if you could answer it for me :).

The Carolina hopefuls I also have a question for you guys. You can post in this thread or pm me whatever you feel more comfortable with.

I want to know why I should choose YOU and not someone else for my captain picks? Also if the choice cant be you who would you pick? (got to throw the curve ball in there :alien:)

Why choose me? Because I bring an even temperament to the course, and can always make sure to keep positive, no matter from the sidelines helping teammates, or in the middle of a match with my partner. The consistency in my game is also a larger factor.

If Not me, then who? I'd have to go with Marc (Trout Bum) or ChetSteadman. Both Have great games and would bring a great attitude and addition to Team Carolinas.

Carolina guys that are a part of the team I have sent you a question if you could answer it for me :).

The Carolina hopefuls I also have a question for you guys. You can post in this thread or pm me whatever you feel more comfortable with.

I want to know why I should choose YOU and not someone else for my captain picks? Also if the choice cant be you who would you pick? (got to throw the curve ball in there :alien:)

Why should you pick me?
Golf wise, you won't find anyone working harder on their game, you might work as hard, but you won't out work me. I think I would be a good addition to the team because I always try and keep the mood loose, I'm as competitive as they come but I want to have a good time and meet some great guys. I've stepped up my social game on here, trying to be more involved and interact with more people. Hell, I even joined twitter and instagram, something I knew nothing about but joined, just to have a chance to be picked. I want to help bring the title to the Carolinas!

If not me, who?
That's tough for me because I haven't really met anyone yet, but I would have to say Trout Bum, I hear his game is pretty good, or deuce for how involved he is on THP.

Very excited for the guys that were selected and still very excited about the possibility that 3 more of us will join them. I intend to keep working my plan as the weather permits (strength, flexibility, chipping, putting, hitting balls, staying active on the site and now my new and improved social media skills - I use the word skills loosely!) . As I stated earlier, if not this then some other THP event will get someone as prepared as he can be when his name is called. Good luck to everyone as I work to join you!!!!

For the first 8 selected. Now that you know for sure you are in, will you change your practice habits or continue with what you have been doing? I know weather has been a factor but has your mindset changed towards how you will approach this awesome event?

My game has been slowly coming around in the last season. I got a pkg of lessons with an instructor who's not perfect...but really seems to work for me (the way my brain learns anyway) Knowing what I need to work on goes a LONG way. Practice will certainly be more intense. I mean, how could it not be knowing what's coming?

It may sound bad, but I'll be more focused on everything now. It's just the way I respond to competition / goals. Plus, I've always worked to beat myself and get better; but with limited resources it's not easy. Now...well I still have limited resources but I have an real excuse to blow past my budget. :D

....actually I have a few really good excuses to blow past my budget. :cobra: :Puma:. And while I'm blowing my budget, I plan to find a deal or two and get in a few scouting rounds at RNK. Take advantage of being relatively close.

Yes, you did say that in the beginning. And it's true, words are only words on the screen, but, there is an element of doubt that lingers that comes with the unknown which can adversely affect the mental part of my game during practice sessions. It's the mental aspect that I want to make sure is just as sharp as my game will be. Regardless, I still worked on my game because I wanted to be ready for whatever may come to be.

Perhaps, "ratcheting up" was just a bad choice of words. I know you and I have no doubt in my mind that you will give 110% to the team. I suspect that several of the participants will need to amend their planned preparation schedule or regime because the recent snow and cold weather was prohibiting. I would agree that hoping to play versus knowing that you will play will have a mental impact on preparation, it is just plain human nature. For example, when I still thought I could be on team physically, I mentioned to the wife that I may have the opportunity to be on a team in a rather significant tournament. Accordingly, I asked her to understand that I will be spending more time with my instructor and on the range. And I would have definitely done that, but knowing that I was on the team, I would have taken some additional domestic risks, so to speak. For me such risk would not have been all that great, because I don't have kids.

I thought you were from New Hampshire?

For those of you who don't end up getting in, how many of you plan on going and supporting your team for the range session and dinner afterward?

Hahaha well originally from NH yes. But I've been stuck here for what seems for ever.

Very excited for the guys that were selected and still very excited about the possibility that 3 more of us will join them. I intend to keep working my plan as the weather permits (strength, flexibility, chipping, putting, hitting balls, staying active on the site and now my new and improved social media skills - I use the word skills loosely!) . As I stated earlier, if not this then some other THP event will get someone as prepared as he can be when his name is called. Good luck to everyone as I work to join you!!!!

Good luck to everyone that got in on the first round. My prep & practice routine will not change regardless of what happens. Once the weather breaks, I will practicing at the course every day after work and then playing at least one day on the weekend. Really honing in on the short game. The practice area around the club near my house is perfect for it. Hitting balls one day, the next short game & putting ... then keep repeating the cycle.
The wife already knows where I will be after work until it gets dark. :)

Good Tip: Try to lock up your swing and equipment choices by June to have your best foot forward for the tourney. Commit to it, trust it, and just play golf. Nothing worse than working in something new before a tourney.

Hahaha well originally from NH yes. But I've been stuck here for what seems for ever.

Where in NH? I lived in Portsmouth for 5.5 years when I was in the Air Force in the 70's.

So I'm really bad at trashtalk so if you get paired against me just pretend I'm trash talking you =)

I thought you were from New Hampshire?

Absolutely I'll be there. I think it's important to remember the title of this event "Regional" not "8 man team" so I think anyone who possibly can make it down there should in order to show support not just for the team of eight, but for their entire region. THP put faith in the golfers of this area in selecting us out of the rest of the country. I'd be very disappointed if we didn't show up strong as a region, not jut a team.

So I'm really bad at trashtalk so if you get paired against me just pretend I'm trash talking you =)

So is deuce, as you can see below:

Why? See the writing on the wall and want to jump ship? Kind of early for that, no? :tongue:

:banana:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So is deuce, as you can see below:

:banana:
John, your family needs to buy you a drum kit for Christmas.

rim-shot.jpg

Why me? Well, I'm a decent golfer, especially for the formats we're going to be playing. I've been around the game for a long time, so I understand it. I'm a people person and can get along with just about anybody. I won't be the team's most vocal cheerleader in the months leading up to the event, but you can bet I'll bring it on game day.

As for who I would pick in my place, I've only played with and met JohnBoyNC and TroutBum in person for long enough to really say I know them, and I would recommend either one. Both have game, drive, and most importantly-they're both awesome guys. I'd cheer on either (or both) as hard as I would for myself.

Late to the party, but congrats to everyone who got selected for this! Some gamers in that list.

Back