How Many Clubs Is Too Many? Do You Have A "Problem?"

golfinnut

DANNY LE! WHAT A GUY!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
HEAT!
So looking in the Man Cave the other day, as I was getting ready to practice the indoor putting routine, I looked at my "collection" of clubs. 4 bags full of clubs, 3 full sets, multiple drivers (including every Titleist driver from their inception), wedges, putters, balls, etc. This doesn't include the other sets and bags I have at the beach house (just so I don't have to tote the clubs back and forth on weekends). My father has played with a lot of my clubs and he always asks "so have you bought any new clubs lately? Because I'll take your older ones." He waits for me to get new clubs and then just inherits my old ones.
I can't seem to let them go I guess. I only sell them on rare occasions, which isn't very often. I still have the set I grew up playing with and the set I used in high school and college. I always want the newest and greatest thing.

So do I have a problem? My wife seems to think I do. I just tell her that it's just "Man's Jewelry" ... can't have enough. She says you can only play with one at a time, why do you have so many?

So does anyone else have the same issue?

Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Not a problem unless someone else thinks it is haha. I usually give my extras away that I won't game again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Putters and driver shafts are the only things that I acquire too may of. In the back of my mind, I am always searching for the holy grail with both.

I don't think it's a problem.

I currently only have one set of clubs, with an extra driver and fairway and wedge set, but outside of the driver, everything gets shuffled in and out of my bag. For me, I'm bothered by clubs just sitting there, so I will move them in hopes that somebody will actually play them. But I don't think there is such a thing as too much.

I have three sets myself and sometimes wonder about getting rid of them. Then I think to myself, "I would still game them.", so they stay.

I don't see it as a problem but I don't like having to much just sitting around. A couple drivers and two sets is about the most I will keep other than putters which is something of a mini collection.

Everyone has their hobby and collections. Don't think it's an issue to have too many unless it puts a stress on someone financially. I tend not to keep too many backups. When I upgrade, I tend to sell my old stuff to fund the new purchase.

it's only a problem if you can't afford it. so it was a problem for me last year haha! i'm trying to keep things much more in check this year. i'm happy with my bag for this first time in a long time. only thing i might change will be iron shafts.

if you ask my wife? it's a problem. 2 sets of irons in the garage, 3 drivers, about a dozen shafts, a couple putters, and more old golf balls and tees than she can stomach.

I don't have a problem.

My wife however thinks I have a problem.

If you can afford it and enjoy it, then there is no problem.

Collecting golf clubs is a good thing!

There are many, many other less wholesome and more harmful pursuits.

I have three sets, but two are in separate geographic locations so I don't have to lug them around in airports. The other two are actually old sets. The extra one is in anticipation I get work from another location. I recently sold a lot of stuff including a Cameron and an iron set. I have a few clubs lying around as my "experiments". Even if I had the extra time and money, I don't see myself getting anymore gear this year. Except maybe for a mini driver.

We're entitled to our own little pursuits for as long it doesn't affect anyone else.

It's only a problem if the bills aren't paid and the wife/kids aren't taken care of. I try to give anything old away to friends or a few times I have given things away to couple of members here. I don't care about getting money back if I'm not using them and they are people I know.

There is no such thing as too many golf clubs lol

I have no where near that many clubs and don't think it a problem that you do. I sell most of my clubs off when I no longer play them, save for my putters.

I have my current bag and I have some clubs from the past that were good for me that I can fall back on. I never trade in/sell a club when I buy new until I know 100% the new one is right for me.

I'm nothing compared to a lot of people here! 2 sets of irons (one an inexpensive stencil set my wife bought me, so no way I can get rid of those), 4 drivers, 4 wedges, 3 putters, 2 3 woods. But for the most part, they all get used and rotated in & out. If they sat there collecting dust... then yeah I might have too many.

I have 5 guitars in my spare room and 3 drumkits total in this house, so gear collecting is not a new concept to me :) But they all have different uses in different situations. If I had gear that was redundant then I'd thin the herd and try not to buy any more.

"Man's jewelry", I like that one :)
I see nothing wrong with it as long as you truly value the nostalgia.
Sometimes I wish I kept my original 845 Silver Scots.
If you're just a hoarder, give it to your local First Tee.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I traded my old irons, a Callaway Copper Wedge and a putter back to Callaway when I got fitted. They were decent irons, RazrX 5-PW, and I thought it would be nice for someone looking to play who was on a budget. I got $218 back and I can say that I originally bought the irons for something like $350 on Amazon when I decided to start playing again. If my son wasn't "wrong handed" I would have given them to him, he wants to take lessons this year and those irons are better than the Strata ones I bought him. That being said I still have my previous set of clubs, a set of Bullet 444 irons, a Hogan 3 hybrid and a TM "Burner Bubble" 3W and Driver. Still in the bag is a "Plop" putter. I also still have my previous set of Cobra Wedges, a 50, 55 and 60. And, finally, I still have 3 Cobra Bio Cell hybrids, two Bio Cell 3Ws (used to set one at 13 for off the tee and the other at 16 for off the fairway when I thought I couldn't hit my driver) and a Bio Cell Driver. A buddy of mine wants me to bring a couple of the hyrbids for him to try.

Last edited:
I hang on to pretty much everything. I have only sold clubs that simply did not work for me, anything I've actually used and been happy with stays in the house.
Passed on a set to the brother in law who plays once or twice a year. Isn't really a problem, I've got the space and I don't buy all that much gear. My wife might disagree.

Still have a Bang-O-Matic shafted with the equivalent of rebar, for that matter. Wouldn't get beans for it, so I hang on to it.

"Man's jewelry", I like that one :)
I see nothing wrong with it as long as you truly value the nostalgia.
Sometimes I wish I kept my original 845 Silver Scots.
If you're just a hoarder, give it to your local First Tee.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

HA! That is one set I still have! My Tommy Armour Silver Scot 845's ... I love those things! Reshafted them twice in their prime.

You have a huge problem. I'll be happy to store some of those sticks in my basement, just to help you ensure domestic tranquility.

What can I say? I'm just that kind of guy.

I just went on Callaway Preowned and I can likely get a decent amount for my Cobra stuff. I didn't want to get rid of them until I was sure my new clubs would work for me. They do and I don't like to look back. I might have to think about trading them in. Had someone on here contact me about them a few months back but wasn't ready to pull the trigger.

You have a huge problem. I'll be happy to store some of those sticks in my basement, just to help you ensure domestic tranquility.

What can I say? I'm just that kind of guy.

Yeah .... well how about your woodworking tools there buddy??

Back