Nippon Modus Tour125 v. Modus 125 Wedge Shaft?

RobDMB

Reaction score
Handicap
I play Modus Tour125 X-Stiff shafts in my irons. Looking to get new wedges and was wondering everyone's thoughts on sticking with the Tour 125 iron shafts for my sand/lob or going with the 125 Wedge specific shaft that Nippon offers. Any advice regarding benefits or playability characteristics would be appreciated. Specifically, will the wedge specific shafts play a lot softer due to the fact there is only a standard flex?

Thanks.

i don't have an answer for you, but i've always wondered what makes a wedge shaft a wedge shaft? what are the performance differences that the designers implement into a wedge shaft that are different than those in a iron shaft?

I use the 105 Wedge and Tour 105. The wedge specific shaft is softer in the tip to aid feel and spin. I love them! Smooth yet firm swings produce excellent results. Crazy hards hacks out of really ugly lies tend to fly shorter but go higher.

I've used the Modus 3 125 in wedges, and also the Modus 3 Wedge 105 and 125 -

Nippon describes the Modus 3 Wedges as lower launch than than Tour 125. My Tour 125 tended to balloon in the wind, so you might try the Modus 3 wedge 115 or 125 depending on the weight you want.

Other than the wind issues, the Tour 125 spun well around the greens, but I'd probably go the route of the Modus 3 Wedge shaft.

Interesting, I'm looking on the Callaway site and they are showing the Modus 3 Tour 125 Wedge as Uniflex for the PM Grind.

I use the 105 Wedge and Tour 105. The wedge specific shaft is softer in the tip to aid feel and spin. I love them! Smooth yet firm swings produce excellent results. Crazy hards hacks out of really ugly lies tend to fly shorter but go higher.

i have played 105 iron and 115 wedge. i'm not sure how much head weight plays in, but i found the 105 iron to feel stiffer than the 115 wedge. the 115 wedge felt really soft to me.

Interesting, I'm looking on the Callaway site and they are showing the Modus 3 Tour 125 Wedge as Uniflex for the PM Grind.

That would be ... weird.

Maybe the website doesn't have sufficient detail or possibly they are only carrying one flex.

Still, in Texas or ocean winds, the 125 iron shaft would not be my first pick for wedges. Surprised that OEMs have not woken up to carrying the Modus 3 Wedge shafts in 115 or 125.

odd labelling perhaps, each weight is a singular flex

not too dissimilar to another company that uses Wedge and Wedge+ to differentiate between weights

I know this is an older thread but I'm back to getting a new set of wedges and debating the two again. Has anyone compared the two shafts in a wedge? Thanks!

Back