dthogey

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I know this is off topic and has nothing to do with golf but I need to rant to somebody! My daughter is in her third year studying biochemistry and doing very well. For some reason she wants to study abroad. She just called me yesterday trying to convince me what a good idea it is if she goes to Denmark and Iceland this spring to study abroad.

Part of me thinks it would be a good experience just to get out and see other parts of the world. The worry wart part of me fears for her being exposed to potential problems in another country. In my mind terrorism is everywhere! I know that is probably not the case in Denmark but in my pea brain it might be the risk not worth taking.

All I can think of is the movie Taken!

Unreasonably worried dad.........

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

We had a lot of people study abroad in my program (Biomedical Engineering). Everyone who went loved the experience, and didn't fall behind or anything with regards to coursework. I know there were some issues with some people for scholarships/aid, and that's probably the thing I would be worried about vs. terrorism.

Life experience IMO. I see your concerns, but the chances are slim.

Life experience IMO. I see your concerns, but the chances are slim.
I know, my wife just rolled her eyes at me like I was an idiot!

Terrorism in Denmark?! C'mon. She's giving me grief, LOL

During her college years my wife did a year in Finland, great experience.
In fact she has stayed in touch with the family and each Christmas they exchange cards/gifts.

I know this is off topic and has nothing to do with golf but I need to rant to somebody! My daughter is in her third year studying biochemistry and doing very well. For some reason she wants to study abroad. She just called me yesterday trying to convince me what a good idea it is if she goes to Denmark and Iceland this spring to study abroad.

Part of me thinks it would be a good experience just to get out and see other parts of the world. The worry wart part of me fears for her being exposed to potential problems in another country. In my mind terrorism is everywhere! I know that is probably not the case in Denmark but in my pea brain it might be the risk not worth taking.

All I can think of is the movie Taken!

Unreasonably worried dad.........

We met so many U.S. students in Croatia and Spain that were studying abroad. I really wished I had done so in my earlier years; the exposure to different places, people and cultures is so enriching! Iceland would be awesome, and I'd just pay attention to particular venues elsewhere in Europe (incl. Denmark). Generally I'd say it is very safe; I'd just avoid protests and demonstrations (as I would in the States) as the risk of violence is greater when groups of opposing ideologies clash. Other than that, just learn which areas to avoid (as you would in the States) in any city she'd plan to visit.

Mark Twain had a quote that I found to be spot on: “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”

We can’t protect them forever and we can’t protect them from everything. My vote: (if you can swing it financially) let her go have this life experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We had the same concerns when our daughter went to Leeds (UK) Metropolitan U about 12 years ago. Made solid friendships and gained a great life experience. Saw lots of Europe thanks to Ryan Air and hostels. Gave her the situational awareness articles and such that are great for us all. We were fortunate in that our extra costs were airfare and that was it.

My oldest son spent a semester abroad studying Biochemistry at the University of Bologna. He had a blast other than losing his wallet day 1.

When my kids were younger I went on assignment to London and took the family. My daughter really became attached to the area. Fast forward to her third year in college and she wanted to do her Junior year in England. She ended up living in the same town where we lived some 15 years earlier. Though I was like you (worried having her so far away and on her own) she had a terrific year and came home to finish her BS in Engineering with honors the next year.

Everyone is different but in my daughter's case the positives of that experience far outweighed any worries I had.

Studying abroad

The only worry you have is that your daughter may end up with a husband like my wife did. We met way back in 99 when she was studying in London for a year. I personally think it’s great and will strongly encourage both my kids to take a year out studying abroad. As for the terrorism threat, you need to stop watching Fox News (and Taken). Sure the threat is out there, but it’s very minimal.

As a very frequent traveler in South America, even though Denmark is not a hotbed of Anti Americanism please be sure your daughter is well versed in being aware of her surroundings and who she is with.

I have experienced some anti American feelings in my travels and I think it could only be worst in Europe where there is a huge influx of folks from Countries that do not like us, but as long as she is aware and stays away from places that could encounter people that could have an issue with an American I agree it would be a great experience and as safe as going to Miami, Chicago or New York City.

From someone who had two study abroad experiences while in college, I would recommend it if you make it happen financially and it does not hurt her academically. It's an opportunity to go somewhere you may never have the chance again to visit and traveling abroad adds another level of responsibility and self-reliance which can be useful for life after college.

If your daughter is going to study aboard, then Denmark and Iceland have to be two of the safest places she could go. My company has a division in Denmark and the people are extremely friendly. I've been traveling to Denmark for about 20 years and it's changed a bit but it comes down to common sense. If your daughter has it, then she'll be fine. Good luck!

Last edited:
You should probably talk to her, why did she all of sudden want to study abroad.

We can’t protect them forever and we can’t protect them from everything. My vote: (if you can swing it financially) let her go have this life experience.

Agree with this completely. We were in the Netherlands and Denmark in November and I felt safer there than walking around San Francisco which we did many times in our 20 years in California. I have a freshman and junior in college and my son was abroad last year for a couple months and his girlfriend just got back a month ago from a semester in Madrid. My daughter will likely do a semester abroad in London or another city in Europe next year. It’s hard to let go, especially with daughters, but their experience abroad will last a lifetime.

Your daughter is going to learn much more about herself by studying abroad and the majority of it will be outside of the classroom. My biggest regret about college is that I didn't study abroad. My wife was in Europe for 9 months during her junior year and it was a great experience for her.

Study abroad? I have tons of experience in bars after 11pm....studying.

I studied abroad in Salamanca, Spain to “learn” Spanish (Spanish was my first language haha). I had an absolute blast. I went there not knowing a soul and now we still are good friends 11 years later. I got to travel all over Spain as well.

Someone else mentioned the hostility towards Americans at times in Europe. Just have your daughter say she’s from Canada if that ever pops up. It was some of the best advice I received while I was traveling abroad (I was in Spain a little after the Madrid train bombing during the Bush years and Operation Iraqi Freedom). I literally almost got into a few physical altercations because of it. On one occasion I got so sick and tired of it that I started yelling at the guy, “Yes George Bush is all my fault. I single handedly voted him into office and it’s all my fault!!” Hahaha the guy just looked at me like I was crazy and left me alone.

But, in all seriousness, traveling abroad is always about knowing your surroundings and playing it smart. Don’t get too drunk, don’t flash expensive jewelry/wads is cash, stay in groups, don’t walk down dark alleys, etc. It’s just like going to any major city, know where you can and where you shouldn’t go.

Another bonus, Danish people are generally very good at speaking English! I vote let her go if you can, great country to see and it means she can never say "what if"

Thank you for all of the thoughtful responses. Reading these responses really has made me feel better.

Being a parent means we do our best to raise our kids to be responsible adults and end up on their own.

I know all this in my head but having it be closer to a reality is hitting my heart!

Back