Ping G Driver - THP Review

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Ping has returned with the "G" series driver, bringing back some familiar lines alongside some very interesting design elements. Vortec Technology and Dragonfly Technology are visually stimulating when looking over the driver in hand, generating quite a bit of intrigue as to whether they can help improve the aerodynamics through speed. 37% is a very big deal if it works. I'll have some early thoughts on this driver by the weekend, but feel free to give me your 'out of the box' thoughts on how this one looks!

From Ping

Inspired by an approach called biomimicry, PING engineers studied the dragonfly's complex wing pattern to design ultra-thin crown sections for extreme CG and maximized MOI in our longest, most forgiving driver ever. The lowest, deepest CG of any PING driver generates greater distance by increasing dynamic loft on both axes for maximizing forgiveness.

Vortec Technology on the back of the Ti 8-1-1 head minimizes turbulent wake during the downswing for faster clubhead speed with stability and forgiveness. Crown turbulators and Vortec Technology contribute to reduce drag 37% through the impact zone for sizeable distance gains from all swing speeds. The variable-thickness T9S face has a high strength-to-weight ratio, allowing for a thin face to further increase ball speed.

To fine-tune your launch conditions prior to a round, adjust the loft up to ±1° using Trajectory Tuning 2.0, which utilizes a lightweight, aerodynamically efficient and high-strength 7075 aluminum hosel sleeve. G drivers are available in three models to fit your desired trajectory: G Standard, G SF Tec (Straight-Flight Technology), and G LS Tec (Low-Spin Technology).

Dragonfly Technology - Ultra-thin sections were created by removing eight grams from the crown to better position the CG for high launch/low spin with a high MOI, adding to forgiveness in the Ti 8-1-1 head.

images

Vortec Velocity - Vortec Technology reduces turbulent wake during the downswing for faster clubhead speed with improved stability and forgiveness to help generate distance.

images

Variable-Thickness T9S Face - T9S has a high strength-to-weight ratio, allowing for a thin face to increase ball speed. Removing four grams from the face helps position the CG low/back for ideal launch conditions and extreme forgiveness.

images

Extreme Low/Back CG - The lowest, deepest CG of any PING driver generates greater distance by increasing dynamic loft and elevating MOI significantly on both axes for maximizing forgiveness.

images

Simple Adjustability - You can optimize launch conditions prior to a round by adjusting loft up to ±1° with five settings utilizing a lightweight, aerodynamic and high-strength 7075 aluminum hosel sleeve.

images

Less Drag - Crown turbulators and Vortec Technology contribute to reducing drag 37% through the impact zone, yielding greater clubhead speed and ball velocity for sizeable distance gains from all swing speeds.

images

In Hand Photos

0214161129-XL.jpg

0214161131c-XL.jpg

0214161128b-XL.jpg

0214161131a-XL.jpg

0214161133b-XL.jpg

0214161133a-XL.jpg

0214161132d-XL.jpg

0214161132c-XL.jpg

0214161134a-XL.jpg

0214161134-XL.jpg

0214161134_HDR-XL.jpg

0214161134c-XL.jpg

Really looking forward to hearing more about your on course review.

Ping G Driver - THP Review

The top picture make this club look REALLY long front to back. Is that just the pictures or is it really that way?

Last edited:
Didn't really like the g30, but enjoyed the g25 for the two years I had it. Will be interested in this one.

That head looks really long ... and the adaptor looks interesting as well. Looking forward to the full review.

Wow, this driver sounds awfully damn impressive. Love the looks and the tech that has gone into this offering - dragonfly and turbulent reducing vortec channel is intriguing. And always love seeing lower spin/ higher MOI.

I love the way the technology sounds that went into this. I hope its a bomber!

That crown is not near as distracting as I expected, on the pink it is, on the black, more subtle.

YES! I love the pics and I cannot wait to hear about how this one performs. I've been waiting for this one!

I actually like the looks and will definitely demo one soon. I just sold my Ping Anser driver to a buddy so something from Ping needs to replace it!

Wow, this driver sounds awfully damn impressive. Love the looks and the tech that has gone into this offering - dragonfly and turbulent reducing vortec channel is intriguing. And always love seeing lower spin/ higher MOI.

Was thinking the same thing. Increasing MOI and dropping the CG are always on my radar.

Looking forward to the review. A driver to replace my Titleist is on the horizon...this could be it.

Huge fan of both the G30 and G30 LS Tec. Watching this one very closely.

Man, love em or hate em, Ping always packs a TON of tech in their drivers. I like the biomicry piece copying the dragonfly.

Last year I really enjoyed drivers like the G30. I love that forgiveness doesn't have to be a tradeoff for performance. G sounds like a nice evolution from the G30. I do wish it had more adjustability but expect simplicity has advantages too.

I actually really like the look of this driver. Think it looks awful in the pink version, but the black version doesn't look bad at all.

The top picture make this club look REALLY long front to back. Is that just the pictures or is it really that way?

That's what I was thinking, too.

Got a G LS on order. Can't wait to see what it can do on the course!

For those who have hit both the G and the G30, is there much of a difference between the two?

I like the truck bed theory vortec tech. Overall I usually dont get a long with ping drivers but I could be swayed to give this a go.

Saw this one at my local shop last week. Looks very similar to the G30. Head size and shape is very close.
I'm guessing feel and performance will be close to the same as the G30 line was...although from reviews and
other things I've read, I've heard it's 'faster' and supposed to pick up 1mph in head speed. Of course I'm nowhere
near being an official reviewer like the rest of these guys on THP. I just like to get out and play...and play what feels
and looks good to me. I may be able to hit this in the next few days, and if I do, I'll give my thoughts. Really do like
the original G30, so I'm guessing I'll have the same feelings on this one as well.

For those who have hit both the G and the G30, is there much of a difference between the two?

Good question. I'd like to know the answer to this too. :act-up:

I played the G30LS last year for a while and demo'd the G LS last week. Honestly saw no noticeable difference in spin, launch, ball speed, swing speed with same shaft in both clubs. Most of the difference was my swing and its inconsistencies.
I believe the G looks better, and sounds a little (very little difference) less loud. This is not a bad thing as G30 LS was a great club. I just personally found something that works better for me.

Definitely interested in PING's latest offering, I like the spec's listed and really want to give it a hit. Looking forward to the reviews on this one.

I have last years LST and love it. This years I see zero difference in performance. Shape is different, last years was longer front to back but looked fine. This years does look a bit better but no big deal. Also last year had the black face that I like and this years has a more silver face color.

No need for me to trade up...no difference really. Best bet right now is to go out and buy a G30 or G30 LST Demo for $150. I see them all over my way.

Back