Ask Your Shaft Question

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay THPers, as you know, THP Radio is back and better than ever and one of the shows is called The Golf Industry Uncut. The rules for Uncut are simple. There are no rules other than the guest must be accessible to readers/consumers to discuss the show post broadcast.

The show is raw and unedited and each guest has been an absolute blast so far and the knowledge gained from those that have tuned in or downloaded via iTunes or Android has been incredible.

Later this week, one of the best shaft experts there is will be jumping into the Hot Seat and joining me on the show and we are turning to THPers for the questions. Recently we had a thread asking what you would like to know more about, and shafts was the #1 thing posted. Well, here is your chance. Ask anything you would like, and nothing is too easy or too hard for our expert to answer.

We will be picking some of these and putting them on the show for our guest to answer.

And for those that have missed it, here are the recent THP Radio Shows.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/category/thp_radio/

How do they create a high launch low spin shaft? What goes into that design? It seem contradictory to me.

At what point does added stiffness to compensate for tighter shot grouping over compensate and result in distance loss?

How is it that I can hit a ladies shaft just as straight as a stiff shaft in the same driver head?

Let's not make this question personal please.

Sincerely,

John Doe

With aerodynamics becoming more important and improved in the driver head, do you see shafts exploring that arena as well, and if so, how?
I know there has been some "airfoil" attempts in the past and they didn't hang around. Will there be a resurgence in this area?

Other than potentially dispersion and feel, is there really going to be any issue distance wise with using too weak of flex?

What's the most overthought aspect of shafts when it comes to "self fitting" by the average buyer? What's the most underthought?

How is shaft torque measured? Is there an industry standard moment applied to the shaft. Is torque related to dispersion?

Iron shafts... How much of a ball flight difference is there between stiff and x stiff? My clubhead speed put me in x stiff range but my fitter opted for stiff due to my ball flight being just below optimal.

I would like to understand the connection between shaft stiffness and torque?

how do you make a shaft more stiff in a particular section, and how does that decision affect the performance/feel of the shaft?

is PUREing necessary, and if not why not?

why is handmade better than not handmade?

who do i have to sleep with to get into the handcrafted experience?

I would like to know what soft or hard-stepping is and the pros and cons of each, if you please?

What's the most overthought aspect of shafts when it comes to "self fitting" by the average buyer? What's the most underthought?

Great question. I would like to know this as well!

What goes into designing a shaft to reduce spin and provide a desired ball flight? Is graphite or steel better?

Yes, please settle the torque question, because I believe those that say it doesn't matter, but I still see marketing discussing it.

What is the most underrated shaft of all time?
What is the most overrated shaft of all time?

Why does "kick point" matter

When a shaft is counterbalanced, what does that mean and what are the benefits for the player?

Here's a question I see asked a lot..

How much of an extension can you put into the butt end of an iron or a wood shaft before it causes the profile to change?

If money were no object what shaft innovation would you make next?

Do shafts matter at all in putters? Why?

With each different shaft line how do you decide what the cutoff is to give a shaft a regular/stiff/xstiff rating? How much of a difference do you need to see in performance before making the jump up or down in flex rating?

When you make a "made for" shaft for an OEM, why is there a stigma that it is not as good as a retail version of the same shaft?

For the older guys:

Has graphite technology advanced to the point where A-Flex shafts can truly help older golfers with slowing swing speeds pick up some lost distance without sacrificing control and dispersion?

Does a player who has a good swing speed able to use a tour spec shaft and get all of its benefits?

Back