Nike pushing for tights on the PGA Tour?

I have reached out to a couple of people who are on the board at a well known private club in Virginia who texted back "not in my lifetime". Funny what mentality prevails on a regional basis.

I actually do not mind it at all... I love wearing tights under my golf pants even when it is not cold. I also love wearing compression shirts under my golf polos during the summer.

I am just a fan of the way it feels.

So, I would be the guy with shorts and tights on at your club.

Pretty bad look IMO

I don't have a problem with them. But I don't get the purpose, and I certainly don't think its a good look for anyone.

I definitely don't see why the PGA would allow this and not shorts.

Wouldn't they technically be allowing shorts by allowing this?

Wouldn't they technically be allowing shorts by allowing this?
Yes that's my thought as well, I don't get why they would do that at all. But isn't that what this thread was originally about?

haha, it's because we're too stuffy.

While I think some have said that to some of the view points offered, I think the back and forth has been pretty good.
I dont think most debating of said much of that, although I would say some people struggle with new things a bit more than others.

I actually do not mind it at all... I love wearing tights under my golf pants even when it is not cold. I also love wearing compression shirts under my golf polos during the summer.

I am just a fan of the way it feels.

So, I would be the guy with shorts and tights on at your club.

As I said, it's not my club. It's a private club about 2 hours from me that hosts a fairly major junior event every summer.

Some guys wear jeans at my club, wear whatever you want.

not my cup of Tea but i guess some will like them

While I think some have said that to some of the view points offered, I think the back and forth has been pretty good.
I dont think most debating of said much of that, although I would say some people struggle with new things a bit more than others.

Oh yeah, I agree. Thus the 'haha' part.

At the end of the day, these discussions will most often lead to what is comfortable and what personal preference dictates for a majority, and I personally don't see anything wrong with that. I've enjoyed the conversation immensely, and it's certainly piqued my interest in learning more about compression with the amount of golf I play during the summer months.

Oh yeah, I agree. Thus the 'haha' part.

At the end of the day, these discussions will most often lead to what is comfortable and what personal preference dictates for a majority, and I personally don't see anything wrong with that. I've enjoyed the conversation immensely, and it's certainly piqued my interest in learning more about compression with the amount of golf I play during the summer months.

Absolutely agree. The conversation has been respectful and very interesting. I may even look at compression with a little different lens. Although, not the pants!

Can't wait to wear tights and a compression shirt (with collar of course) for play this season! Lol

I'm not sure. Certain muscle groups, perhaps? Someone who knows the benefits of compression on muscles may be able to expand on this more?

There is the moisture wicking last which is what most people wear compression for and it helps keep the body cool in hot temps and warm in colder temps (UA heatgear and cold gear). Muscle fatigue is minimized and

And I think that goes into the whole drawing comparison to compression tops thing... I've never worn a compression top with the intention of supporting my joints or muscle groups. Ever.

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/compression-gear-soreness

Not a fan of this look at all. I personally would never wear them. And for tour I say let them wear shorts!

As I said, it's not my club. It's a private club about 2 hours from me that hosts a fairly major junior event every summer.

Some guys wear jeans at my club, wear whatever you want.

I was not referring to "your" club as meaning your club specifically. I was just speaking in general.

I spoke to a caddy at, what most would say, is the most exclusive club in Virginia and he said they actually were discussing the shorts and tights in a meeting and that the club was not against it. Granted that does not mean it will be allowed, but they were not against it.

I was not referring to "your" club as meaning your club specifically. I was just speaking in general.

I spoke to a caddy at, what most would say, is the most exclusive club in Virginia and he said they actually were discussing the shorts and tights in a meeting and that the club was not against it. Granted that does not mean it will be allowed, but they were not against it.

As I said earlier, I can easily see a regional twist to this. If the club you mention has influence around the Richmond or even the Richmond, Tidewater, NOVA region, it could greatly influence other clubs views pertaining to this attire. I know the club I mention has influence on the southwest side of the state. If they are going to oppose it to the level of deeming it "exercise attire" many others on this side of the state will follow.

Edit to add.......That's not to say the guys I spoke to aren't going to be opposed within their club. Two opinions don't add up to the views of the club in general.

As someone with literally no style what so ever, I think this just looks silly.

Could be an age thing, but what is attractive / in style about wearing these under shorts? When did men start wearing tights as a style point? I must have been napping when this happened, now some old man short shorts and tights with Puma high tops that will distract your opponent for sure.

As for using them for sun protection, I guess it certainly would and as someone with 1st hand experience with Skin Cancer maybe it makes sense. But 100 sunblock is very easy to put on and I cannot imagine (being a sweating person) wearing compression tights top or bottom in July, they would be soaked though in minutes and even with moisture wicking it could never keep up with the output from this large person. Fun thread to read though.

No tights please, I think they look ridiculous and are definitely not a fashion statement for golf.

this is one time that I'm happy old crusty dudes make the call, not a chance it will pass.

I think the tights/shorts combination looks ridiculous, regardless of the sport. I think most of the stuff Nike just released looks really silly. Those are my tastes, and my opinions.

If the athletes want to wear different stuff like this, or Rickie's joggers (which I also think look silly), go right ahead. Honestly, what is the difference between the tights/shorts look and Payne Stewart's look? Sure, the execution and tradition are vastly different, but in terms of what you see and what they cover they really aren't that different.

I've always thought it was counter intuitive to make (valid) argument after argument about golfers being athletes, then make them play their game outside with temperatures in the upper 90s wearing what most people would wear to work.

I don't think it would really take anything away from the game if the tour allowed players to wear stuff like this. If a host course doesn't want them wearing that stuff on their property, that's fine too. Keep rules in place as far as what kinds of things can't be worn (so Nike can have something to complain about in future years) so guys aren't playing the WMPO in flip flops and muscle shirts, but I think it's time to allow shorts.

I don't mind the look and will probably give them a shot. I wear compression sleeves during the summer months so I will give them a try. Maybe even with the Puma high tops

There is the moisture wicking last which is what most people wear compression for and it helps keep the body cool in hot temps and warm in colder temps (UA heatgear and cold gear). Muscle fatigue is minimized and

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/compression-gear-soreness

I've had a few really good chats with War Eagle about Swiftwick post ride compression socks that he wears after cycling and understand the benefits there. Just wasn't sure that applied to actually wearing them while performing the activity.

I have no idea if these "tights" will help people but since my ACL surgery almost 5 years, my entire left leg has never been the same. If I play basketball or any other high intensity sport, my leg feels SO much better with compression of some kind.

My legs always give out on me before anything else and when they get tired, it's hook central for me. If these helped in any way, I'd be all over it! If people don't like it, not my problem

When I have to wear tights, I'll go back to fishing full time. I have my limits....:beauty:

If my playing partner showed up in those, I'd book another tee time. Would never wear them or be seen with anyone wearing them.

Would rather wear Ricky's high tops and skinny pants (which I will never, ever wear).

I think I'm wearing my ColdGear tights under shorts next time I play...just to see what happens.

:popcorn:

Back