Club Throwing vs Cursing.. On Tour.

War Eagle

the Beags of THP...
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Rum
The club tossing thread got me thinking about seeing that kind of stuff on Tour, and the reaction that happens when a Pro tosses a club.

So, got me thinking, some swear a good bit (caught on camera at times) and some are club throwers.

Which annoys you more? Seeing a Pro throw a club or hearing them swear on camera?

Both are unbecoming of a Professional, but I can understand the swearing part more so than throwing a temper tantrum and launching a club.

Throwing a fit for sure.

Throwing a club is worse. Neither is good.

Neither really bug me, but seems it takes more effort to throw a club than to let a curse word go in the heat of the moment

Id rather see a curse than a club toss. It's rare for the most part for the curse to be caught on camera. Everyone sees the club toss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Id rather see a curse than a club toss. It's rare for the most part for the curse to be caught on camera. Everyone sees the club toss

This is exactly what I was about to type.

A little swearing caught on camera doesn't bother me as much as throwing a club might, especially if it happens in the fairway where there aren't a lot of kids around to hear it. When cursing on the greens or tees happens in front of the fans, it bothers me. I haven't seen a lot of actual club throwing. But, a lot of pros drop their clubs after a bad shot. Tiger has a habit of letting the club drop from the top of his back swing when he miss hits one. That actually doesn't turn me off as much as seeing a pro have a temper tantrum.

Plus, the ole club toss usually makes the Sportscenter NOT Top 10.

I have to admit that I enjoyed Rory's club toss at Doral, but I don't want to see it become the norm. I don't mind the occasional f-bomb (and the inevitable network awkwardness that follows) since I do it as well and swearing>club tossing.

Plus, the ole club toss usually makes the Sportscenter NOT Top 10.

Exactly. And the curse is rarely if ever audible.

I expect swear words. That's a part of all sports, on camera or not. I actually enjoy a good club throw, especially if it's done artistically.

The recovery is more important. These guys get frustrated and I totally understand it. If they can laugh about the shot after, and have some grace and recognize they acted stupid I'll give them a pass.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

I don't find it upsetting at all, really. I get more irked by guys treating their caddies poorly. If they swear or toss a club, it is simply them being people who let there emotions get the best of them for a second. I mean, really, it's not like they are neurosurgeons putting people's lives at risk.

Club tossing is kind of lame, the language doesn't bother me.

Honestly the cursing doesn't bug me at all. Club toss is kinda dumb but I won't lose sleep over it.

Club Throwing vs Cursing.. On Tour.

They've had to call in divers for some tosses. I hate seeing it on the Tour. I'd much rather them curse. But honestly not like the Bubba rage we've seen.

It seems like cursing is a regular thing which is only caught on camera occasionally. I'm not bothered by the language, but club tossing is just silly. True, they have more to get frustrated about seeing how golf is their job but it sends a very poor message. The same can be said about cursing, but that doesn't bother me nearly as much.

They've had to call in divers for some tosses. I hate seeing it on the Tour. I'd much rather them curse. But honestly not like the Bubba rage we've seen.
The Bubba rage is absurd. He's such a child.

The club tossing thread got me thinking about seeing that kind of stuff on Tour, and the reaction that happens when a Pro tosses a club.

So, got me thinking, some swear a good bit (caught on camera at times) and some are club throwers.

Which annoys you more? Seeing a Pro throw a club or hearing them swear on camera?

Both are unbecoming of a Professional, but I can understand the swearing part more so than throwing a temper tantrum and launching a club.

I don't like either, but for the most part I'd say the club tossing is overboard more than swearing. The tour could leave the mic off and it wouldn't be an issue at least.

I think club throwing is the bigger "offense". I remember quite a few shots during the Morgan Cup that failed to make the final edit because of some choice words.

I don't mind the drop the club at the end of the swing while holding the pose ... I am guilty of that one ... but I HATE when people throw or slam a club into the ground even in recreational golf.

The last good club toss I saw was John Daily last year in the open I think it was.

Cursing does not bother me ... I know at times I would embarrass the pope if he was in my foursome.

Throwing a club is annoying to see. I'm guilty of doing it although I haven't done it in a long time and won't do it anymore. Swearing doesn't bother me, those guys are human just like us. If people don't think other professional athletes swear they're crazy and unfortunately for golfers they have cameras and mics around them for every single swing.

Cursing doesn't bother me a whole lot. Club tossing by a professional I think is too much. Dropping the club after a bad shot, not a big deal.

I understand both and have done both. As finely tuned as the PGA Tour players games are, it's super frustrating to miss a shot that they could hit 95% of the time. I struggled with my anger when I was in my teens and 20's and in retrospect it was silly but at the time I was practicing and playing 40+ hours a week so I had very high expectations. Now that I'm older I have mellowed and also have low expectations so I never get even mildly irritated on the course.

Last edited:
Neither I care about, I swear all the time so don't care about that. I am sure I would have thrown a club in a lake by now if I got them for free.

Swearing doesn't bother me. The drop behind the back doesn't bother me. Throwing the shoe... well Sergio, that was a good one. And someone was even kind enough to give it back to him, but he wasn't done with the shoe toss yet.

Back