Grips - To midsize or not to midsize?

jjfcpa

Reaction score
Handicap
Who is midsize for? Does it provide more comfort, help reduce grip pressure? What about if you have small hands, does that matter?

Just looking for answers and opinions.

I have smallish hands and used midsize Lamkin Z5 last year, quite comfortable and kept my grip pressure more relaxed.

When I was newer to the game I switched them to help relieve some grip tension and it worked for me. It actually allowed to release the club. Now, I no longer need them for that purpose and have jumped around from standard, to midsize, to extra wraps or MCC Plus4’s. They all perform identically for me. For reference I can wear a cadet large or standard xl gloves and am right on the cusp of standard or midsize grips according the grip manufacturers based on my hand/finger measurements.

So, I think it’s mostly preference but could help depending on the person, their handsize, grip/swing tendencies, etc.

Don't do what I did! Try it with 1 or 2 clubs before you regrip your entire bag. I liked the feel of the midsize but it felt like I couldn't release the club as well. The standard with a larger bottom hand is a good compromise. I think the size depends on the grip as well. Tour Velvet mids feel ok to me while the softer compound feel huge.

I’ve always wondered about trying midsize grips. I had a instructor tell me I should try them a while ago. Then I went to get fitted and the club fitter had me try them out. Made a huge difference for me. I would test out some clubs with a bigger grip and see how it goes.

For me going to midsize has helped a ton. It helps me release the club better. I switched to midsize about 5 years ago. Last summer I found a deal on regular size, that I thought was too good to pass up. So I purchased and installed them. It was the worse 6 months of golf in my life. I couldn't hit anything. After being really frustrated, I borrowed my buddies club that had midsize, and hit it. Boom. Like nothing was wrong. Immediately went home and ordered midsize and installed them again. Have been hitting the ball a lot better since. So, for me it has helped. But I'm sure it won't help everyone. I wear a large glove because I have long fingers.

Last edited:
definitely a preference/ feel kind of thing. I have a cadets medium glove size but prefer a midsize grip. Could be mental but midsize feels much better in my hand and I feel like I have more control of the club

I am 49 and starting to get Arthritis and the larger grips help me feel like I don't have to choke the crap out of my grips.
I wish I had switched sooner.

I recommend trying them out. It's not a huge dollar investment to regrip a few if not all your irons. For me my hands were always really tired and sore after golf. Measured my hands at a PGA Superstore and I should have been Midsize all along. Instantly felt better and I'll never go back. Actually just moved all my clubs to Superstroke S taper so the bottom hand is larger because my lower hand still felt a bit sore like I was gripping too tightly.

IMO, its all what you like. Theres never really been any kind of scientific studies done that have shown any benefit to certain size grips for certain size hands, nor do they really do anything to correct ball flight.
I wear a size large glove but I love jumbo grips

I wear an L glove and use midsize. Keeps me from squeezing too tight and more comfortable. I just have to be careful to make sure I'm keeping the grip in my fingers as it's easier to be too much in the palm with the bigger diameter.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Who is midsize for? Does it provide more comfort, help reduce grip pressure? What about if you have small hands, does that matter?

I believe larger diameter grips do promote lighter grip pressure, yes.

I believe it is definitely an individual thing. I know larger grips are supposed to promote lighter grip pressure but for me it is the opposite. The times I have tried midsize or oversize grips, I found my self gripping harder than I do with standard grips. That was the case with swing and putter grips.

Best change I ever made. I’m actually thinking of moving to jumbo.

I switched to mid size this year and really like them. One thing to keep in mind is a bigger (heavier) grip will decrease swing weight.

I think it's really about preference. I wear a Large glove (when I wear one) and put a midsize MCC+4 on my Driver and 4 wood last year. My irons and hybrids are standard MCC+4. I felt like I couldn't get the club turned over and that I gripped quite a bit harder with the midsize. I'm changing back to standard (not sure if I"m staying with MCC-4's tho) this year.

So for me, while I have larger hands I prefer a standard grip. It just feels better to me.

As an FYI, if you make the jump from a Standard size grip in the 50g range to a Midsize that is probably in the mid-60's, you are generally going to drop a few swing weight points and change the balance of the club. Even more sure if the grip is a Jumbo - those can be 80g+. While the size of the grip may be important to some, the feel of the club can be equally important. Another way to go is just adding extra tape to fatten up a grip - something like +2 wraps (3 total) makes a difference without adding weight to that end.

As an FYI, if you make the jump from a Standard size grip in the 50g range to a Midsize that is probably in the mid-60's, you are generally going to drop a few swing weight points and change the balance of the club. Even more sure if the grip is a Jumbo - those can be 80g+. While the size of the grip may be important to some, the feel of the club can be equally important. Another way to go is just adding extra tape to fatten up a grip - something like +2 wraps (3 total) makes a difference without adding weight to that end.
I had +4 wraps on my Morgan Cup set from last year and between the tape and the arrcos sensors mine were off 4 swing weight.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I like midsize with a couple of extra wraps; it helps me with my preferred fade shot shape.

Just went mid in my irons but kept standard in my woods. There is a method to the madness just need to see on the course this weekend.

I like midsize grips as they help slow my hands down during the swing. Helps prevent the smother hook :)

I have big palms and relatively short fingers, but big hands overall. I went to Jumbos and it has helped my game. It let's me hold with less pressure.

Just went mid in my irons but kept standard in my woods. There is a method to the madness just need to see on the course this weekend.

There might be something to your method. I know I enjoy midsize on my irons, but for awhile had regular on my driver, and when switching to driver I’d think, man this feels good too.

Since I started playing as a kid with standard grips, i thought it normal to move to midsize grips as an adult. I just like the way they feel really, don't notice any massive difference in performance when borrowing someone elses set.

Back