Where Does Speed Come From?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Wanted to share a quick snippet, (no editing done yet) from some of our PGA Show coverage. Expect a lot of things like this to start coming next week. If you like golf equipment and learning from experts, we have a lot coming for you.

I need to know more.

I'm always impressed with knowledge thp is able to provide to the community.

Vrska bringing the knowledge. He’s so damn good.

I think it's an interesting conversation from the technological side. To me, club head speed exists almost entirely on the player. That is, having a mechanically proper swing that produces the best conditions for the club head to be moving the fastest through impact. From there, it's up to the club technology to translate that into ball speed while still producing launch conditions that the player needs ie peak height, spin, etc. But the parts that the manufacturer can control such as retaining or producing optimal speed thru as many impact locations across the face as possible, is the brass ring. The day a golf club manufacturer says that impacts anywhere on the face of his or her club will produce identical outcomes, that person should win a Nobel Price for Physics.

A lot of knowledge in just 30 seconds. Can't wait to hear much more on this subject.

• Admin
A lot of knowledge in just 30 seconds. Can't wait to hear much more on this subject.

Lots of fun stuff coming next week and beyond

I think it's an interesting conversation from the technological side. To me, club head speed exists almost entirely on the player. That is, having a mechanically proper swing that produces the best conditions for the club head to be moving the fastest through impact. From there, it's up to the club technology to translate that into ball speed while still producing launch conditions that the player needs ie peak height, spin, etc. But the parts that the manufacturer can control such as retaining or producing optimal speed thru as many impact locations across the face as possible, is the brass ring. The day a golf club manufacturer says that impacts anywhere on the face of his or her club will produce identical outcomes, that person should win a Nobel Price for Physics.

I agree with all of this, the only other thing I would add is adjustability so all that sweet clubhead juice can be put into the right location for as many players as possible.

Good stuff, never knew that higher loft reduces speed but Michael few words explained. Keep'em coming!

I was there for all these interviews but I still can’t wait to see them all because they go so deep. We are talking about needing to rewatch a few times to get everything out of them deep.

I was there for all these interviews but I still can’t wait to see them all because they go so deep. We are talking about needing to rewatch a few times to get everything out of them deep.

That is going to be some serious info then!!!

Love the short video and look forward to learning more. I completely agree that speed comes from the player and would add that although everyone can learn to swing faster, much of your speed is “natural”, so to speak. My buddy and I brought our college age sons to the launch monitor at our club for the first time last summer and although we knew they were great athletes and could hit the long ball, it was amazing to see on the screen their real numbers. Both are very casual golfers playing maybe 3 rounds a year each but both had years in high school where they never touched a club for a year or more. They both had ball speeds in the 170’s on their solidly struck drives with my buddies son hitting 181 on one drive. I was hitting my 6 iron my real world normal of 185-190 and both of them were hitting it 225+ yards.
Neither one of them has yet played 50 rounds in their lives as they were always focused on other sports, yet they have the speed that most of us can only dream about. I guess what I’m saying is all the very long hitters I know had it from the very beginning, they didn’t pick it up or have to work on getting longer.

Wow, what a relief. And I was worried about faster hips and even faster arms. Sheesh, forget the winter fitness program.

Oh, wait, you're talking about choosing the right equipment for speed. Cue the fitness music. Golf Fit starts in 3, 2, 1 ...

Vrska just keeps dropping knowledge at the PGA show, it’s always fascinating listening to him talk about gear. Hungry for more now!

And here I thought the iron sole design vid was going to be my favorite. This teaser was outstanding.

I had noticed during fitting videos and threads here that sometimes ball speed jumped as the loft lowered, but never knew the reasoning behind it. Already learning even in teasers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ughhhh it was just getting good and then it stopped!

Cannot wait to head Vrska in full.

My thoughts exactly when I saw this on Instagram. And now again, I thought I was getting the rest of it.

Craving more

Full video coming up in a few minutes, uploading now.

Ready to see more!

Back