Sable Oaks closing

mainefootwedge

2024 Shaft Up #2 with UST Mamiya
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My Swing
Word came out yesterday that Sable Oaks Golf Club in South Portland, ME will not be opening this year.
It is being replaced with condos and houses.

Bad news for the Maine golf community, but with the ongoing housing crisis in the Portland/S. Portland area..........it's the 3rd course to close in recent years and replaced with housing.

I forgot to grab a logo ball for my collection last year.............guess I won't be able to get one.

Steve

Steve check eBay. Lots of people who collect balls sell them there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I always hate to see courses close. So far the 3 course closest to me have survived but besides those three, the next three closest courses have not survived over the last 5+ years. I'm sure the surviving courses have benefited from the extra business. I wouldn't say the best three courses survived but at least we have a variety with a mix of inland links, parkland & muni/country club.

Steve check eBay. Lots of people who collect balls sell them there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That's the first place I went...........nothing.
I put a listing on Facebook and on Craigslist to see if anyone local has one.......nothing yet.

I always hate to see courses close. So far the 3 course closest to me have survived but besides those three, the next three closest courses have not survived over the last 5+ years. I'm sure the surviving courses have benefited from the extra business. I wouldn't say the best three courses survived but at least we have a variety with a mix of inland links, parkland & muni/country club.

We had a 9-hole course close near my work, and they are putting housing on it.
Anothter 9-hole course closed, but they are keeping it in the family so it won't be developed.

Sable Oaks was a nice "high-end" course, a lot of members, host to the local high school team, and hosted tournaments all year.

Back