Best hybrid shaft

Weaver14

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys looking to get new shaft for my 816 h2. It currently has a mrc Diamana d+ 90 which I find too heavy and also too low launching. Driver ss is around 110, aggressive transition, low spin (around 2000 and low launch (9-10). My miss is a slight block, prefer a little softer tip in my shafts. I have a HZRDUS Red in my driver which I like and a voodoo svs7 in my 4 wood which I really like. Should I try to get one of those in an 80 or maybe a Diamana blue? I’m open to used stuff or older shafts.

The "Best hybrid shaft" is the optimal shaft for your swing, which is going to be different than the optimal shaft for my swing. I've found feel and what's real don't necessarily match. Therefore, I am a big advocate of taking advantage of all this wonderful technology we have today. Ideally, get on a launch monitor at a range with a master fitter to guide you.

Low launching heavy shafts are not going to perform well for a player whose miss is a push or fade. You will want something a bit lighter that will let you close that face more. You would probably like the Diamana S+ Blue shaft that Titleist also offers for their hybrids. It's got a bit higher balance point so the clubhead doesnt feel so heavy and it is setup for a mid launch. The 70 might be a good weight for you.

Check out the Recoil 780 ES in F5 flex, it’s nice and stable but still help launchand spin the ball. I believe it’s in the 80g class also.

graphite design hy requires some aggression to get it to load.

catalyst might be a good fit.

ust irod, or atmos blue. i have 780 es smacwrap but i think you would overpower that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the input guys, I was able to hit a D+ in a 70 which felt a lot nicer however I was hitting it lower than the 90. Guy at the shop seemed to think a 70 would be too light for me and I’d eventually pull it? He thought I should be using a 65 driver, 75 in my 4 wood and 85 in my hybrid. Currently using 65, 70 and 90. He mentioned that a s+ blue would be a good fit like the guy above mentioned. So should I focus more on finding a shaft that’s at the recommended weight or one that feels better?

Thanks for the input guys, I was able to hit a D+ in a 70 which felt a lot nicer however I was hitting it lower than the 90. Guy at the shop seemed to think a 70 would be too light for me and I’d eventually pull it? He thought I should be using a 65 driver, 75 in my 4 wood and 85 in my hybrid. Currently using 65, 70 and 90. He mentioned that a s+ blue would be a good fit like the guy above mentioned. So should I focus more on finding a shaft that’s good numbers wise or one that feels better?

In my experience I would go with feel first and look for the best numbers you can there. I’ve found that feel might not produce the best numbers all the time, but it will possibly help you with some consistency and confidence in the club in the long run when it matters.

Some fantastic options out there. Comes down to what you’re wanting, higher flight? Flatter trajectory?

In my experience I would go with feel first and look for the best numbers you can there. I’ve found that feel might not produce the best numbers all the time, but it will possibly help you with some consistency and confidence in the club in the long run when it matters.

That makes sense maybe I’ll see about a blueboard in an 80 or are there others similar to that?

Some fantastic options out there. Comes down to what you’re wanting, higher flight? Flatter trajectory?

Looking for something higher launch and spin softer tip. Distance isn’t an issue just want consistency

For me it has consistently been UST VTS Silver

That makes sense maybe I’ll see about a blueboard in an 80 or are there others similar to that?

Looking for something higher launch and spin softer tip. Distance isn’t an issue just want consistency

Tensei Blue non-pro, bonkers cheap, very stable, mid-high launch, 80/83g for S/X

Pro version ($$$) gets a 72g in S and 86g in TX

MCA OT 80 hybrid shaft. Mid bend. Low-mid spin. Super easy to elevate and super stable.

Hey guys looking to get new shaft for my 816 h2. It currently has a mrc Diamana d+ 90 which I find too heavy and also too low launching. Driver ss is around 110, aggressive transition, low spin (around 2000 and low launch (9-10). My miss is a slight block, prefer a little softer tip in my shafts. I have a HZRDUS Red in my driver which I like and a voodoo svs7 in my 4 wood which I really like. Should I try to get one of those in an 80 or maybe a Diamana blue? I’m open to used stuff or older shafts.

Check out seller 'shirtdaddy' on eBay. He has lots of older model Aldila shafts for very reasonable prices. I see he has quite a few of the VS profile (including voodoo) in several weights/flexes. If you really like voodoo svs7 you could probably grab an svs8, vs proto 80, dvs or nvs that would suit you well.

Here is my candidate for high launch, mid spin - let's call it as it is - easy launcher.

Tensei CK Pro Red 70

Here is a candidate for mid launch, mid spin -

Graphite Design AD HY - not nearly as easy as the CK Pro Red.

I would say the kbs proto in proper flex is the best I’ve found. Great feedback in terms of feel and balance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out seller 'shirtdaddy' on eBay. He has lots of older model Aldila shafts for very reasonable prices. I see he has quite a few of the VS profile (including voodoo) in several weights/flexes. If you really like voodoo svs7 you could probably grab an svs8, vs proto 80, dvs or nvs that would suit you well.

What’s the difference between the VS and the dvs and nvs?

I got to test the Altus Tour shaft from Matrix a few years back. That shaft is amazing for me. For you, check out the S+ 80g hybrid shaft.

What’s the difference between the VS and the dvs and nvs?

I'm not super familiar with these 3 because I'm more of an NV fan, but from my recollection in the same weight/flex area the NVS would play softest with highest flight and spin, with VS Proto lowest and DVS in the middle. I believe the svs7 you have in your 4 wood is the voodoo tech evolution of the DVS platform.

I would vote for the KBS Proto hybrid being a very sound option. Not gonna says its the "best" fo obvious reasons, but it is a very nice performer. I will say that it does seem to play pretty strong in flex, so would recommend folks not go too stiff. I bought an X and it is quite stout.

I'm not super familiar with these 3 because I'm more of an NV fan, but from my recollection in the same weight/flex area the NVS would play softest with highest flight and spin, with VS Proto lowest and DVS in the middle. I believe the svs7 you have in your 4 wood is the voodoo tech evolution of the DVS platform.

This is the one I have. There’s a shop in town that’s open tomorrow with a huge selection of used clubs so I’m gonna go see if I can find something I like.
shaft_aldila_voodoo_orig_df78da49-2480-4b1c-aae2-0ed54cb16c7d.jpeg

I actually really like the Fuji Speeder Motore 8.8 shaft that came in some of the 816 hybrids. It is low spin low launch according to Fujikure, but I've had no problem getting it up in the air with some spin.

This is the one I have. There’s a shop in town that’s open tomorrow with a huge selection of used clubs so I’m gonna go see if I can find something I like.
shaft_aldila_voodoo_orig_df78da49-2480-4b1c-aae2-0ed54cb16c7d.jpeg

Yeah, I thought so. The seller I mentioned actually has that shaft in the hybrid version svs8 but it is 90g in the stiff so maybe it is a bit heavier than you want. The VS Proto 80 is 84g uncut so that could be closer, but if so I might go a touch less than the standard tipping for the Titleist adapter to get a bit more launch/spin. I think the NVS 85 hybrid in the stiff is 85g but if you were trying to match the Voodoo I might actually tip a touch more than the Titleist adapter standard.

Perhaps you will find something at the shop that you like and that will take care of everything--good luck!

For me it's an Oban Devotion 8 Hybrid. Love it.

That's what I put in my Cleveland Launcher HB hybrid.... Devotion 8 05. Fantastic shaft!

Back