What Makes Golf Clubs Faster?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
One of the hot topics of the 2019 PGA Show is SPEED! What makes clubs faster? What provides more ball speed? We asked equipment expert Michael Vrska to break it down and offer insight into all of the elements that add and subtract speed from a golf club here.

Thank you.

Michael = smart.

I = nods a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Michael = smart.

I = nods a lot.

Seems like a solid plan. Dude knows his stuff, and he’s really good in putting in terms I can understand which is awesome.

Excellent video everyone!

Confirms a few things I already knew but also went into a lot of details that I never even thought about. Great stuff from vrska!

Amazing info jammed into a short video!!!!

There’s not many people on the planet that can break down tech the way Vrska can. We’re really fortunate to have had him on the THP staff covering the PGA Shaow the last couple of years, just awesome!

• Admin
There’s not many people on the planet that can break down tech the way Vrska can. We’re really fortunate to have had him on the THP staff covering the PGA Shaow the last couple of years, just awesome!

Thanks so much. Lots to come

I could listen to Vrska talk for hours. So much knowledge and conveyed so even us far less brilliant folk can understand it. Thanks for the awesome video.

I could listen to Vrska talk for hours. So much knowledge and conveyed so even us far less brilliant folk can understand it. Thanks for the awesome video.

We tried to time it with things the people were asking on the form as well. Lots of good stuff coming and I really enjoyed this one too

Solid info and right to the point, no drawn out long video. Well done!

Solid info and right to the point, no drawn out long video. Well done!

Haha. We definitely have a few that dive rather deep, but this with our THP Quick Tech spots, we try to keep them 3 minutes or less.

Well done @vgolfman. I’ve been trying to get wider in my takeaway and noticing longer distances and ball speeds on the LM.

Vrska is a fountain of knowledge. Knowledge is king. I really enjoyed that segment. Thx JB, Morgan and everyone that makes this community awesome.

Great video, having @vgolfman for the PGA Show coverage is brilliant and really adds to the coverage.

He breaks the complex down into easy to understand terms.

Curious about the example using a taller player has the bigger arc, but some of the shorter guys still get the power/distance is there any of the other components that would play a bigger role?

Love how he so efficiently and succinctly combined many of the elements necessary to generate speed. Just straight-talk, here's the facts... deal with 'em.

Great video, having @vgolfman for the PGA Show coverage is brilliant and really adds to the coverage.

Curious about the example using a taller player has the bigger arc, but some of the shorter guys still get the power/distance is there any of the other components that would play a bigger role?

Speaking post recording he really believes in the concert of things combined. So a smaller player could still bang it out there by getting everything else right.

Speaking post recording he really believes in the concert of things combined. So a smaller player could still bang it out there by getting everything else right.

Thanks, I was going to probe more, but with it being so reliant on the golfer different areas are stronger for different players.

This reminded me of the CG/MOI video where if you focus on one area you might have to take away from another and it’s all about the balance.

Taller players should have a wider/longer arc and be able to create more speed, but swing fundamentals, hip/shoulder turn, flexibility, far twitch muscles, fitness and other per-person factors certainly also matter. Rory isn’t big but still has a lot going for him to generate speed.

Happy to answer other questions, or at least try to.

Taller players should have a wider/longer arc and be able to create more speed, but swing fundamentals, hip/shoulder turn, flexibility, far twitch muscles, fitness and other per-person factors certainly also matter. Rory isn’t big but still has a lot going for him to generate speed.

I guess you answered them all in the video haha.

Very informative, well done!!

So you're saying the only way I can hit the ball farther is to wear elevator shoes and get arm extensions???? Just kidding, the manufacturer has done everything they can but some things just don't change (me)!

Also, the mass of the player. Though, like the club head there are diminishing returns.

And genetics. Specifically fast twitch versus slow twitch muscle fiber. Think sprinter versus marathon runner.

What are your thoughts on the concept that most amateurs might find a driver with shorter shaft length (for example 44" instead of 45") and perhaps a smaller head size (for example 410CC instead of 460CC) easier to square at impact and, or, create more solid quality strikes ?
Regarding "speed" in particular (the topic of this thread), in this video you mentioned aerodynamics. Is a 410CC head more aerodynamic than a 460CC head ?

Is a 410CC head more aerodynamic than a 460CC head ?

No. Not automatically. They are not mutually exclusive. You can have fast large heads and slow small ones and vice Versa.

Back