Nike pushing for tights on the PGA Tour?

That's one specific line name, which is not even new for Nike. It's only what Nike chose to highlight in the add. No one said that if you wanted to wear tights under your shorts that they had to be Nike Hyperwarm.
We're talking about Nike, and it's the only line of golf tights they market currently.

I mean, if guys want to wear Lululemon yoga pants under shorts ... again, whatever. Maybe some can pull it off, but by and large, not many people are going to wear this out on the course. If it were me, I'd rather wear joggers.

With that, it's pretty silly to argue tights ... so I'm out. :tongue:

Agreed on all fronts. It's a ridiculous look in my opinion but I won't be losing sleep over kids wearing it around my club. I can't imagine too many people wearing it for sun protection. Talk about swamp-ass.

The article quotes players wearing the tights for workouts. Wonder if they mind the "swamp-ass" during that?

Having worked at a golf course for 6+ years, there are plenty of people who wear long sleeves to protect themselves from sun damage.

Then if you're not going to approve compression under shorts, why allow compression under polos?

It isn't an apples to apples comparison. Compression tops were created for use as a core warmth product, not sun protection. If some choose to wear compression tops for sun, so be it but not many will be wearing long sleeve warm gear intended to trap body heat for core warmth in Florida in July. I can't imagine many will choose to wear tights in Florida in July either and certainly not for sun protection.

We're talking about Nike, and it's the only line of golf tights they market currently.

I mean, if guys want to wear Lululemon yoga pants under shorts ... again, whatever. Maybe some can pull it off, but by and large, not many people are going to wear this out on the course. If it were me, I'd rather wear joggers.

With that, it's pretty silly to argue tights ... so I'm out. :tongue:

We are talking about Nike. Point is, Nike makes more than one type of tight. I doubt Brooks and Tony were talking about wearing hyperwarm while in the gym in the article.

The tights might actually help with swamp ass, as the fabrics tend to wick sweat away from your body.

I can attest to the results of such products when the material makes contact with the skin. Not so much in areas where the material doesn't touch the skin. The result for me when wearing boxerjocks and other similar products have resulted in swamp-ass. I can't imagine these being any different.

There are some red herrings. First, no evidence that allowing this stuff would grow the game at all. Second, there seem to be no limits on what could be acceptable as long as there's some remote chance an extra young person takes up the game.

so be it but not many will be wearing long sleeve warm gear intended to trap body heat for core warmth in Florida in July.

As someone that lives here I can say that there are FAR more than you realize. TONS of golfers are wearing them for sun protection.

It isn't an apples to apples comparison. Compression tops were created for use as a core warmth product, not sun protection. If some choose to wear compression tops for sun, so be it but not many will be wearing long sleeve warm gear intended to trap body heat for core warmth in Florida in July. I can't imagine many will choose to wear tights in Florida in July either and certainly not for sun protection.

Not all compression gear is warm gear.

Under Armour example:
https://www.underarmour.com/en-us/m...st-flight-compression-leggings/pid1275499-002

Nike example:
http://store.nike.com/ca/en_gb/pd/pro-hypercool-tights/pid-10862681/pgid-11173071

Both designed for warm weather and the UA is quoted as having UV protection.

LPGA is fine with it, along with shorts. Just look at Michelle Wie.

Because women wear that type of garment all the time. Yoga pants are in and that tour is supportive of probably more than they should be.

Because women wear that type of garment all the time. Yoga pants are in and that tour is supportive of probably more than they should be.

True, though outside of activities, do many wear them under shorts or skorts?

Then if you're not going to approve compression under shorts, why allow compression under polos?

I really don't think they are comparable, but I also don't think there are many courses out there right now that allow shorts in their dress code but wouldn't tolerate the use of 'tights' or 'compression' underneath. It seems to me like those are two different discussions between what is within a dress code and what looks acceptable/ridiculous.

For the latter, freedom of expression speaks about as loud as freedom of speech.

Haha.
I suppose you are a big wearer of khakis during outside activities? :alien:

As someone that lives here I can say that there are FAR more than you realize. TONS of golfers are wearing them for sun protection.

I have family in Charleston and Bluffton, SC and we take a buddies trip to the deep south every summer and I can't recall seeing "tons" of long sleeve compression tops being worn anywhere, including Florida.

Again, not something I would choose! To each there own.

I really don't think they are comparable, but I also don't think there are many courses out there right now that allow shorts in their dress code but wouldn't tolerate the use of 'tights' or 'compression' underneath. It seems to me like those are two different discussions between what is within a dress code and what looks acceptable/ridiculous.

For the latter, freedom of expression speaks about as loud as freedom of speech.

Just wonder, why?

I have family in Charleston and Bluffton, SC and we take a buddies trip to the deep south every summer and I can't recall seeing "tons" of long sleeve compression tops being worn anywhere, including Florida.

Again, not something I would choose! To each there own.

Vacationing in the state occasionally and living here are a bit different. Odds are on your "buddy trips" you are not hanging with the locals at the country clubs, but out playing your round and enjoying the weather like most tourists would do.

Its very popular here and at our previous club, there were almost half the mens league wore them in the hot months.

They are not my thing personally, but I certainly get it. Especially down here with the skin cancer talk being so common nowadays. Is it as common as not wearing them? Of course not. But neither is pants, and those are accepted. I remember when people thought spikeless shoes were the devil...Golfers hate change more than just about any other sport in my opinion, and I agree on a lot of fronts, but this one could actually have some merit to skin concerns.

It's an interesting comparison... I wear compression while golfing and basically nowhere else. My wife wears yoga pants outside of golf and probably would wear it to the course if she felt they wouldn't have a problem with it. As she's fair weather golfer who enjoys the sun, it's not something she would consider.

I'm not here trying to make blanket assumptions on what people would like or do, just trying to relate to my every day. If people need to wear compression to hide their skin from the sun, I support it 100%. If they are doing it for fashion, I'll have a chuckle with them and let them know that it clashes with their orange puma gear (assuming they are friends). My bet is, I don't run across anyone at my course this year who is a male and wears tights or yoga pants or compression pants with shorts.

Just wonder, why?

Because compression tops allow for additional layering without the bulk. It serves a purpose to wear a polo with a compression shirt rather than a long sleeve polo or sweatshirt... You're combating the weather, staying warmer, and not losing out on upper body movement. In what world does a golfer lose out on flexibility by wearing pants that are the same material as their shorts? They aren't.

To me, this is fashion over function.

Vacationing in the state occasionally and living here are a bit different. Odds are on your "buddy trips" you are not hanging with the locals at the country clubs, but out playing your round and enjoying the weather like most tourists would do.

Its very popular here and at our previous club, there were almost half the mens league wore them in the hot months.

They are not my thing personally, but I certainly get it. Especially down here with the skin cancer talk being so common nowadays.

Maybe it's a regional thing. My family members in Charleston and Bluffton aren't seeing "tons" of long sleeve compression tops being worn outside of the winter months. I still don't see how compression tops and tights are comparable. It isn't an apples to apples comparison.

Will those same people wearing compression tops for sun protection wear compression bottoms as well?

Because compression tops allow for additional layering without the bulk. It serves a purpose to wear a polo with a compression shirt rather than a long sleeve polo or sweatshirt... You're combating the weather, staying warmer, and not losing out on upper body movement. In what world does a golfer lose out on flexibility by wearing pants that are the same material as their shorts? They aren't.

To me, this is fashion over function.

I can't say I agree with it, but I see your point for sure.

It's not a fashion forward style that I'm into, personally. Like other have said, if they are wearing them for skin protection that makes 100% sense to me, but for being fashion forward? I think I'm going to pass. Don't get me wrong, I own a pair of compression pants and shirts. I wear them early morning, cool morning outside workouts/runs, to keep warm. I wear them for extra layers when it's cold all the time, but I'm not going to wear them as a replacement for pants. I doubt we see most, if any, Tour players doing this either. Who knows, maybe I'm just to old school, and that's saying a lot for a guy under 40.

Will those same people wearing compression tops for sun protection wear compression bottoms as well?

No idea, time will tell.
I wont be, but I dont think it should be discounted just because its different.
Heck we had 5 guys wearing compression tops for multiple reasons at the last THP Event.
5 years ago that would have been considered crazy.

Women at our club wear tights under skirts/skorts for golf. My daughter did exactly that last weekend when we went to hit balls.

I can guarantee that my club wouldn't allow men to wear tights under shorts. The shirt tucked in, no cargo shorts, and belt rule is strictly enforced at every private club I've been to in the last decade and I just don't see any of those clubs allowing tights under shorts for men.

Women at our club wear tights under skirts/skorts for golf. My daughter did exactly that last weekend when we went to hit balls.

I can guarantee that my club wouldn't allow men to wear tights under shorts. The shirt tucked in, no cargo shorts, and belt rule is strictly enforced at every private club I've been to in the last decade and I just don't see any of those clubs allowing tights under shorts for men.

Same for where I work. Though, there's nothing that says someone couldn't walk to the first tee with shorts, shirt tucked, and a belt on with tights underneath, under the current code.

The bigger problem I see, is that it means a tour player wearing shorts. Think this argument from a tour perspective means that if they approve this, they'll almost certainly have to approve shorts only. If not right away, in due time.

My club has those same rules and would allow tights.
I can say for fact that one of the finest in this state, Quail West does as well.

Back