Driver Shaft Optimization Potential - G400 Max

weten2

Reaction score
Handicap
I currently am very happy and have seen substantial gains in distance and control with the G400 Max from my 4year old Nike. I have the stock stiff shaft that was fitted in a PGASS. I have an appointment with Club Champion to see if there is a shaft that could give me another 10-20 yards. After seeing a recent YouTube testing with a higher swing speed golfer who only gained 4 yards from the stock shafted new Titleist driver to a expensive upgrade shaft am skeptical.
I’m 69 and retired and don’t want to throw away $250 up to only gain 3-4 yds. Does anyone have similar experience with shaft fitting specifically the G400?

I gained a lot better numbers in my quest for the right shaft for me in the Max.

But, a lot to me may be different than you. For me it was a bit more ball speed, better launch, and about 150-200 rpm less spin.

Fitting matters, and the only way to know is to go and see what happens. Nice thing is you don’t have to buy, but now, you’ll know!

A lot of your potential gains will be swing speed related. If you are on the fence about spending the money, the first thing to consider is what is your swing speed, and, how far are your drives going now? If you are already at your optimal distance, it would be futile to chase more gains - kind of fun to do, but, ultimately, not a whole lot of improvement. If you really feel you are leaving 10-20 yards on the table, it might be less expensive to back to your PGASS, and, see if any of the other Ping upgrade shafts work better. Good luck.

Bellken your comment hits home. Knowing there are many variables I think my last recorded swing speed of 88 mph
is producing drives of up 230y and one with 15mph wind that went 254y on a flat Florida fairway. I’m thinking that is good distance for my ss, do you? Assuming my launch is good can a different shaft profile, composition or flex produce a 5-10% gain in distance?

230 is a good distance for a 88 mph. Assuming a good launch, a gain of 5-10% would be hard to get, unless, you have spin issues - too much, or, too little. Your PGASS should have the other Ping upgrade shafts, and, you might give them a try to see if they make a difference for you. But, you won't really know, unless you do a shaft fitting, and, it might only verify to you that what you have is optimal.

I think your right about knowing the results. Since I went to CC for a Samputt lab fitting I no longer question whether my putter should have a different length, shape; etc.
Thanks

Back