UST Mamiya Recoil ZT9[emoji2401] Iron Shafts

SquirrelyDave

Allegedly....
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 22.7
I didn’t see a dedicated thread on these so I figured I’d put one up. (Mods if I missed it please feel free to merge)

UST website for these:

https://www.ustmamiya.com/golf-shafts/brands/recoil/recoil-zt9-iron/

From the website:
Recoil Technology provides greater consistency, distance and trajectory control

Recoil Technology provides optimal spring effect in the walls of the shaft and more efficient energy transfer to the ball for increased velocity and greater distance.
ZT9 = for better impact strength and feel

Higher damping provides better elongation of material to increase damping rate for better feel on mishits.
Ion Plating (IP) creates a stunning and premium finish vs. traditional paint

The raw shaft is put into a vacuum chamber where metal ions are emitted and bond to the shaft.
The process takes extra time and is more expensive than traditional methods.
This extra step is all done in-house, so we are able to ensure tighter control for the best quality.

I’m gaming these in a huge chunk of my bag, 3h-AW. I’ve been very impressed with the vibration dampening in helping reduce elbow pain, and I don’t feel like I’m losing any feedback from the shaft.

I’m getting plenty of spin from these for holding greens with my irons, and honesty they feel great throughout the swing. I don’t feel like I have to overpower the shaft or take it easy. Overall I’m pretty sold on them.

They really do look very good, and look like a premium shaft.

The only in hand photo I’ve got of them:
5b45ccb094e81b453824bcc1f9bbe9b3.jpg

I didn’t try any other shafts in these heads when I got fit, but I have gamed other graphite shafts, these feel better and don’t feel so “graphite-y” as some of the others have. Even on a missed hit it feels solid throughout, nothing terrible, and it doesn’t cause the pain in the elbows that a chunky hit would cause with a steel shaft.

Please ask if you’ve got any questions.

I didn’t see a dedicated thread on these so I figured I’d put one up. (Mods if I missed it please feel free to merge)

UST website for these:

https://www.ustmamiya.com/golf-shafts/brands/recoil/recoil-zt9-iron/

From the website:

I’m gaming these in a huge chunk of my bag, 3h-AW. I’ve been very impressed with the vibration dampening in helping reduce elbow pain, and I don’t feel like I’m losing any feedback from the shaft.

I’m getting plenty of spin from these for holding greens with my irons, and honesty they feel great throughout the swing. I don’t feel like I have to overpower the shaft or take it easy. Overall I’m pretty sold on them.

They really do look very good, and look like a premium shaft.

The only in hand photo I’ve got of them:
5b45ccb094e81b453824bcc1f9bbe9b3.jpg

I didn’t try any other shafts in these heads when I got fit, but I have gamed other graphite shafts, these feel better and don’t feel so “graphite-y” as some of the others have. Even on a missed hit it feels solid throughout, nothing terrible, and it doesn’t cause the pain in the elbows that a chunky hit would cause with a steel shaft.

Please ask if you’ve got any questions.

I'm interested in these and hopefully can hit this combo in my Club Champion fitting tomorrow since I currently have the SMACWRAP recoils in my Big Bertha OS. The new Big Bertha is on my list to give a try so we'll see where this goes. I've been quite happy with my current shafts so I'd like to see if there is anything better than them and how these compare.

I’d think you should be able to hit them since they’re a stock offering.

what type of player are these designed for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would think a lighter shaft like this is going to help anyone who has a hard time with a push. You should be able to get the club around easier and square the club face. They will also help if your wrists and elbows hurt after golf by absorbing some of that impact.

looking at the Weights I would guess People with slower swing speeds. They will also help people who have joint pain in the upper body with less vibration than steel.

I would think a lighter shaft like this is going to help anyone who has a hard time with a push. You should be able to get the club around easier and square the club face. They will also help if your wrists and elbows hurt after golf by absorbing some of that impact.

looking at the Weights I would guess People with slower swing speeds. They will also help people who have joint pain in the upper body with less vibration than steel.

Solid answers here. The F4/S-flex is recommended for players with 90-105 MPH driver swing speed, so definitely not for someone that’s playing X flex, they’re also a mid-high flight shaft, so people that need help with launch might find a good fit as well.

I can't wait to test out this shaft in my 3H (and eventual 4H, ha). It looks really good in hand.

I had the stock Recoil in my Epic hybrid, and I didn't love it. It definitely helped me launch the ball much higher than the Synergy in my Rogue, but my dispersion was not very tight. Even in F4, the shaft felt a little loose to me. The ZT9 has a "stabilized tip," and I can definitely tell in my waggle test. Very excited to actually hit some balls.

Solid answers here. The F4/S-flex is recommended for players with 90-105 MPH driver swing speed, so definitely not for someone that’s playing X flex, they’re also a mid-high flight shaft, so people that need help with launch might find a good fit as well.

f4 sounds up my alley

I can't wait to test out this shaft in my 3H (and eventual 4H, ha). It looks really good in hand.

I had the stock Recoil in my Epic hybrid, and I didn't love it. It definitely helped me launch the ball much higher than the Synergy in my Rogue, but my dispersion was not very tight. Even in F4, the shaft felt a little loose to me. The ZT9 has a "stabilized tip," and I can definitely tell in my waggle test. Very excited to actually hit some balls.

Loose is a really good term. I played the old IRN shafts in an older set of irons and they felt loose. These do not, they feel really clean all the way through my swing. Very very stable.

f4 sounds up my alley

I think that’s where I’d start if you’re looking this year. I’m not sure how available these will be, but I’m thinking they shouldn’t be too hard to find.

They look so good Dave, there graphics are top notch and the feel just as good I bet. I should have tried.

Giving a set away on Instagram right now. Love this picture.

6fdd62d2051fcb1f258abb99c793470c.jpg

Anyone compare these to the standard 760ES's?
Wish to change my Fuji Pro 65i's.
Thank you

OK thank you - hopefully someone else has tried one.
Just felt the Fujikuras boarding for a graphite shaft.
Thanks again!

Just picked up my JPX-900 5-P reshafted with Recoil ZT9 F3. My driver SS hovers @85. Previous shaft in these were KBS Tour 90 R flex. Went with the Recoils due mostly to 65 year old body pains. LOL.
After one round and a range session, I find the ball flight definitely higher with the recoils. Initially, most my shots were right quite a bit. Haven’t figured that one out. The range session brought back center.
These are definitely lighter, like 25 grams lighter than the Tour 90(s) they replaced. There is also a considerable difference in feel.
Appears to have plenty of stopping power, even with the mid irons.
As it was a very quiet afternoon on the golf course, I hit several approaches on many holes. On one hole, 146 yd approach. Would normally be a well hit 6 for me. Hit 6 iron pin high. It felt ok but not like a great hit. Then took a 7 iron, solid contact. Walk up to green. Balls two feet apart.
I believed once I get them locked in I will gain a club. Like others have described , initially they did feel loose. But seemed to dial them in quite a bit with a focused range session.
Will get another range session and maybe 9 holes this morning.
Did I get the desired results with the Recoils? Definitely. My elbow sure felt better. Even after two large buckets on the range yesterday. Nice night ball flight and increased distance. Not bad for an older guy. ;-).
Is there a cost for that performance? Very much so. As an old forged guy who was played old MacGregors and MP-33s back in the day, the cost is feel. SGI heads with graphite shafts, although fly further and straighter, feel dull or muted. There’s nearly no feedback. Ball flight is the only indicator of a decent struck or poor hit. That’s not a knock to theRecoils or the JPX-900s. Just an observation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back