watch GPS - good, bad or not worth it

Vdub GLI

Reaction score
Handicap
so i received an email that Dicks Sporting goods is having a flash sale on some golf apparel. i found a SkyCaddie LINX golf GPS watch that is on sale for 179.99 until 10pm tonight!

my question is, anyone have any exp with this? or any golf GPS? is it accurate enough to have an edge while playing?
any tips about GPS devices while playing a round?

link for your review.
http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p...ame__&cp=2460170.11177058&categoryId=88368276

I use my phone for GPS yardages. Accurate by about 2 yards, couldn't play a round without it.
Try that first then see if the convenience of a watch is truly needed.

Here's my decision making matrix: GPS or Laser? If GPS, watch or other?

I ultimately landed on this non watch GPS unit (http://www.rockbottomgolf.com/bushnell-golf-neo-ghost-gps.html). I've only used it once or twice but so far so good. It clips to my bag, gives me solid distances to the middle of the green and is easy to use.

I also have a Laser and that's great for getting an exact number to the flag or a random hazard, but IMO the GPS unit is faster and easier to use while playing.

I bought a Bushnell Neo XS last year with airline miles. now that I've had it I can't imagine playing without it. I'm not usually a watch guy, but I adjusted to it fairly quickly.

My father in law has a non-watch GPS unit, and it's amazing how inconvenient that is compared to a watch. I can just glance at my wrist instead of fiddling with something in the cart, a pocket, or belt clip.

I haven't used that watch specifically but have played with one (for a long time) and really enjoyed it. Worth the investment IMO.

I use my phone for GPS yardages. Accurate by about 2 yards, couldn't play a round without it.
Try that first then see if the convenience of a watch is truly needed.

I used GolfLogix GPS on my phone too.
It works fines but its a real pain because my phone keeps locking in between shots.

Luckily my Bushnell Tour X fills the void, quite well too.

i currently have an android phone, paired with my Samsung gear s watch. i use "hole 19" (http://www.hole19golf.com/) however in most cases i leave my phone in my bag/cart, so if i get far enough away it disconnects from Bluetooth because of distance.
i guess that is why i am considering a dedicated watch for potential GPS use.

reading further reviews there are yearly fees associated with the watch i posted about. are yearly fees a standard for independent watch GPS's?
if so, i may just have to stay with my current setup on with my phone.

I'm lucky enough to play on a home course that has GPS in the carts. However, I like using the Hole19 app on my iPhone which I'm told works great with the Apple Watch. I also carry a laser, but the Hole19 app does the job.

I use all available GPS and measuring devices.

I find that the watch is fastest of all, because it is always on. Laser is prob the most accurate, but the watch and the iphone GPS are within a few yards of the laser.

Watch is my preferred - because if I am off the fairway, I know how far I am from the green. No obstructed view, no getting the cart to my ball, no pulling out the phone and dealing with that. The watch tells me how far to the green, from wherever I am.

My $0.02

i currently have an android phone, paired with my Samsung gear s watch. i use "hole 19" (http://www.hole19golf.com/) however in most cases i leave my phone in my bag/cart, so if i get far enough away it disconnects from Bluetooth because of distance.
i guess that is why i am considering a dedicated watch for potential GPS use.

reading further reviews there are yearly fees associated with the watch i posted about. are yearly fees a standard for independent watch GPS's?
if so, i may just have to stay with my current setup on with my phone.

The bushnell neo xs doesn't have any yearly fees. It also has pretty solid battery life. I've been able to get nearly 3 full rounds out of a charge.

I have a GPS watch and love it, it didn't take anytime to get used to it. It's very accurate and I like the fact that I don't have something to fumble with, just look at my wrist and go.

For someone who wears a watch when they golf, I'd say they would be awesome.

Since I don't wear a watch any time, I would hate it.

I just got a GPS watch this Christmas and it is great so far. The yardage is right on point and it is much more convenient than on my phone, which I used to do. I never wear a watch so I had to get used to it but it didn't take long since I am concentrating on so many other things when golfing. There are a bunch of lists you can find online to see which ones rank high on the accuracy.

thanks everyone for your input.
i think i am going to keep going with my smartwatch and phone for now, i also use the markers on the course more than anything but oh well.

hole 19 is good since i am able to track my game and i can review and compare to past games on how i am doing. but i may consider a dedicated GPS watch later down the road after i have more than one season playing golf hahaha.

I have gps apps on my iPhone, a bushnell rangefinder with jolt; and I do NOT wear an everyday watch.

YET…I do have a gps watch (not the one specific to the OP) that is absolutely hands down my preferred method of gps device on the course. It's faster, the distance is continuous (no waiting for it to "catch up" like the apps), and it took all of three or four holes to get accustomed to wearing a watch while swinging.

I can forget my phone or my laser and not miss a beat, but I am LOST when I forget my gps watch, and find myself glancing down at my wrist for a distance even when I'm not wearing it.

Had a Garmin s1 for awhile and I really enjoyed it. Gave me yardages to front, middle and back and that was all I needed at the time. Didn't bother me one bit to have it on my wrist

I have a laser rangefinder and a Bushnell Neo x and I love both and they both have their uses. Watch is great for figuring out lay ups, club selection off the tee and depth of greens and when you have a blind shot. Super convenient. If I forget it i really notice it. I use it tons. I use the range finder for exact pin yardage and to get yardage on specific points on hazards etc.
I won't likely golf without either one of I can help it.

Not completely sure which one is more of a must have though. Maybe rangefinder, besides blind shots you can accomplish most everything with it but nearly as convenient.

Second to my clicgear, my gps watch is some of the best money I have spent on golf.

I use Arccos on my Apple Watch. Since getting an Apple Watch and using Arccos I rarely use my laser. So yes I think a watch GPS is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've used my Apple watch for golf GPS a dozen rounds or so but like any other GPS, it's not accurate enough for me. I've used a laser rangefinder for 20 years and it's really all I need. GPS watches have drastically improved but it only takes me 5 seconds or less to pull my Leupold out of my pocket and get an exact reading to any target I want. I've seen GPS carts, watches, and rangefinders be off by 10 or more yards on hundreds of occasions, so for me the laser will always be my preferred.

I walk a lot of the time with a push cart that I clip my iPhone on and use an app, but this thread really has me considering a watch. I love watches and wear one constantly, don't know why I never thought about getting one before.

For someone who wears a watch when they golf, I'd say they would be awesome.

Since I don't wear a watch any time, I would hate it.
I thought the same thing too, I have never worn a watch but had my third round with GPS watch today and still love it

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I had a Golflogix handheld, laser and iPhone app but all were inconvenient. After much hesitation, I bought a Bushnell GPS watch on a Golf Galaxy sale. It really surprised me how much better (for me) than the other devices. No fees, has distances for hazards and end of fairways on doglegs. My buddy has a high end Garmin GPS watch and another has a laser and the yardages are within +\- 2 yards generally.

I carry a range finder for the odd ball hazard, tree or bunker but my sister got me a http://golftlink.com/ for my birthday that i have hung on my bag and use it mostly.

I'm not good enough to need pinpoint accuracy, a guesstimate is just fine for me.

Back