What golf ball are you gaming this season? (2019)

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Time for a new iteration of this annual classic?

Whatcha gaming? Why?

Got a #BagBattle there? What is it? Why?

CS Truvis is my stand by, but I want to try: 19 ZStar, 19 TP5, 19 ProV1X, and ERC. Wouldn’t be surprised if the ZStar or TP5 end up the gamer. Will be fun to try them all. 17 ZStar wasn’t as long as the other guys for me, but was the most consistent and straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh damn that's a good one, and at this point I don't know. Im going to try to get out tonight and gather some data on the new Srixon Zstar lineup. Will be able to compare those to the QST and even the soft feel. That should give me a good understanding of the entire line.

Recently though during testing, I switched to a ProV1 and picked up ball speed and spin, which is both a good thing for my current game.

I've been a Bridgestone guy for quite some time, I dabbled a bit with the Chrome Soft Double Dot, QST has been in the mix too. TP5 had a short run, mostly cost kept me from gaming them full time.

Got 3 dozen Chrome Soft X sitting in my closet so I'll run through those this year. Tempted to test out the new TP5/TP5X, but that won't happen until the summer to get a good test in.

Snell Black.... performance is better than my game deserves, and the price is nice... no down sides to playing this ball.

Duo U until supplies run out then on to the Duo Professional.

Been loyal to the zstar xv for a couple years now. Going to give the tp5x a whirl though as I've heard it's a spin killer. Unlikely to stick though because it ain't yellow.

Calloway Super Hot bold Or Truvis.
I got some Super hots on sale so they should carry me for a few months.

Vice Pro Plus this season - using both the white and Neon Yellow.

Tried these at the end of last year and performed very very well. I have always been a fan of Pro V1X and Srixon Z-STAR but the cost is prohibitive when you are losing at least 1 ball per round.... So At $2.29 (1 pound 79 pence) per ball these are the same proce as the Srixon AD333 but you are getting a "premium" ball.

Leaning towards the BS Tour Bx but still want to try the new TP5x and give the new PV1x a few more rounds.

Frankly the Snell Red @ $31 is right there with all of them so far, just a little short on greenside spin imo which is not a deal breaker but different.

Looking very forward to trying the Callaway ERC w/ Triple Track and The Bridgestone new balls

I've got 10 dozen Pro V1s remaining that I'm dying to burn through because I want to switch to TP5. Though last year I managed to only go through 3 dozen. It may be a long process.

Bought 4 dozen of Srixon Q Star at the end of last year, so I'll start out with those.

Bridgestone B330-RX until my rather large hoard runs out.

When you don't get to play but a handful of rounds a year and have a nasty over the top/in-out swing, you play cheaper balls. Got a couple dozen of older Duo's still sitting in the garage that I'll burn first but in the mean time, I'll be looking for either prior season balls 2/3 layer balls or some slightly used "fancier" tier balls like the BS 330's. I really loved the Top Flight Gamers but those have been discontinued, which I'd purchased more when they were running those cheap deals late last year.

Probably a combination of the Callaway ERC, Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X depending on what kind of performance I need for the hole when standing on the tee.

Right now will be between z star and z star xv. I'm impressed with both balls and will need to get out to the short game area to help determine and a few more rounds. So far the xv improved on the previous model with better feel and short game spin while the new z star also improved feel. Deciding factor will be that different launch window and mid/long iron play.

Things I want to try:
Tour B X
Tour B XS
New TP5x
New Pro V1
New Pro V1x

Titleist AVX. Got hooked when they came out and I love everything about the ball. Cant imagine changing.

In rounds that matter, the AVX. Otherwise I'm using Z-Stars (both types), and RZN Platinums.

I am curious about the ERC. I won't pay 40.00 a dozen for them though, might as well buy the AVX for that price. But I'll pick up a sleeve to try them out and if they can outperform the AVX for me, then I'll spend it I guess.

Picked up some bargains on last years TP5 and Chrome Soft when prices dropped before new releases. I had been using Chrome Super Soft. I was getting a bit disappointed by its performance and I thought it was me. This time it turned out to be the arrow and NOT the Indian. When I switched, I immediately picked up 20 yards off the tee. My guess is that the SS was TOO soft and losing all its energy on compression and just falling out of the sky. (Swing speed about 103, last I checked)

Leaning super hard on AVX to start out my year.

The idea of buying balls at 50 bucks a dozen makes me cringe very very hard though.

I still have a stockpile of Kirkland balls (3 & 4 piece). I’ve found I prefer other balls to these but I can’t bring myself to buy any more until the Kirkland supply is gone. I don’t like either iteration off the putter. The 3 piece is too light and unresponsive, the 4 piece feels heavy and dull.

I do like the prov1 and prov1x, however I played a callaway hex black yesterday that I had found and it performed extremely well for me. I really liked the feel and response off the putter. Distance was good and free side spin was very good. Good enough to bump the prov1 from the top spot of they are cheaper.

I still have a stockpile of Kirkland balls (3 & 4 piece). I’ve found I prefer other balls to these but I can’t bring myself to buy any more until the Kirkland supply is gone. I don’t like either iteration off the putter. The 3 piece is too light and unresponsive, the 4 piece feels heavy and dull.

I do like the prov1 and prov1x, however I played a callaway hex black yesterday that I had found and it performed extremely well for me. I really liked the feel and response off the putter. Distance was good and free side spin was very good. Good enough to bump the prov1 from the top spot of they are cheaper.

They are a nice sim ball due to their price, but dear lord the Kirklands spin like crazy.

I have a backlog of Top Flite Gamers that will last me years. I bought them up just a little more than $0.50 a ball! Good ball, great price, lots of inventory :)

DT

I've got 10 dozen Pro V1s remaining that I'm dying to burn through because I want to switch to TP5. Though last year I managed to only go through 3 dozen. It may be a long process.

ProVs are a great ball. They'll do you well if you choose to use them otherwise you could sell them.

DT

Back