Lie adjustment question

Trevor68

Reaction score
Handicap
I recently went to a fitting and after using the impact board, it became apparent that I strike the toe end of the sole. However, the fitter told me that he would not recommend that I adjust the lie due to the fact that my current miss tends to be usually a pull and sometimes a hook. He thinks that if I make the proper lie adjustment (bending the lie more upright) it would make my miss worse.
Does this make sense?

Driver: Nike Covert 2.0 12.5 degrees
Fairway: Callaway X2Hot 4 Wood
Hybrid: Callaway X2Hot 5 & 6
Irons: Taylormade Rocketbladez 8,9,P
Wedges: 52 Mizuno, 56 rtx, 58 smart sole, 64 rtx
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR 33

Ball flight laws states that a ball that starts left or starts left and hooks has a face that is closed to the path of the club. So it makes sense in theory. The premise with lie angle is that a the point of impact will slow down and the other end of the club will pass it. Meaning a heel hit will result in the toe passing the heel and shots going left and in your case the heel passes the toe and the ball would go right.

I don't know why he wouldn't want it to go back flat. To where the sole is hitting everything in the middle ... not the toe nor the heel. Just so it's square thru impact. That doesn't make much sense to me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

In theory, too flat of a lie would cause the ball to go right, so if your miss is left it *might* help with that, but I think you'd be better off fixing the swing fault and then figuring out whether you need your lie adjusted, as fixing the fault might change your swing.

Back