AT&T Pebble Beach Amateur handicaps

It's funny, I've seen a few posts now about the amateurs who people think have claimed a lower handicap than they really are. Whereas Chris Evans, the new Top Gear host, received a lifetime ban from the Dunhill Links for winning with a handicap higher than his actual one was LOL.

Ok, so they are actually going to try to see if Top Gear can continue? I suppose they still get The Stig.

Ok, so they are actually going to try to see if Top Gear can continue? I suppose they still get The Stig.

Ha ha, yeah, The Stig says. Matt LeBlanc (Joey from friends) has also been signed up LOL.

Key word amateur. I don't care if you're a 2 handicap and on your home course you shoot in the 70's. On that stage, with the talent around you, and national TV, I would be more surprised if there weren't any duffed shots rather than none.

I agree.

I'm a 7 and I bladed and chunked a number of shots today on a local track. I could only imagine what I would shoot with Tour conditions on TV with big crowds around.

I've played with many THPers and maybe 2 of em believe my handicap based on my play. I'm with you buddy, Pebble Beach, TV, Tour Conditions and tour players would make me look like Charles Barkley!

Funny thing about handicaps, you shoot better than what you are & you are sandbagger, you shoot higher than what you are & that is questioned.

That being said, Pebble Beach, 3 possibly 4 rounds (which not a lot of Am's are accustom too) National TV audience, playing next to a guy probably shooting par or better, hitting 2-3 shots more per hole but trying to stay out of the way of the Pro...all adds up too a lot of pressure

Yeah the handicap system is misunderstood by so many.
I'd you shoot to your cap 100% of the time your cap will drop like a rock. I believe you're only supposed to hit your number roughly 25% of the time.
It is what it is, but when you beat your cap you are questioned and when you fail to live up to your cap you are questioned which makes no sense since we all know how volatile this game can be.

I have been 1 under,even or no more than 3 over my cap the last 6 rounds and haven't seen a drop at all :(

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Two of my clients were playing the Pro-Am, both are legitimate, no mulligan or gimmee guys with low single digit caps. I saw both on TV and they weren't playing their game - texting one afterwards he said "you can't imagine how nerve racking it is knowing that you are on TV and everyone is watching you" - you think?!!

Back