M2Giles

Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8ish
For 2018 I went through a lot of equipment. I tried a lot of different things and ultimately used this bag or some form of this bag towards the end of 2018.

Driver: Ping G400 LST 10*, MCA Tensei Pro White 70TX tipped 1"

Driver has been a battle between the g400 and the srixon z785. Both of these are amazing clubs. I find the srixon a bit longer while the g400 lst is a little more forgiving.

3 Wood: Taylormade M4 15*, Aldila Silver 110 MSI 70X

3 wood has been an interesting debate for me most of the season. I have a '16 M2 3HL that has seen a fair amount of time in the bag as well. 3 wood is supposed to be a club I can pull when I cant hit driver because I would go through a fairway. Off the fairway, I tend to not pull the club as much.

Hybrid: Cobra F7 3-4 set at 19.5*, Graphite Design 95X

This is the toughest part of my bag to fit because I want it to do a lot things. I need it for tee shots and attacking par 5s in two. Because of that I often bounce between different clubs. I like the f7 hybrid a lot, but it spins the ball a lot. I often swap it out for a taylormade p790 udi with modus 130s depending on the time of year. Both clubs are awesome for what they do.

4 iron: Taylormade P790, Nippon Modus3 130S

4 iron is a club that means a lot to me. Growing up I didnt play a hybrid because I didnt really know much about them and my 4 iron from my set was my utility club. This continues. If I need to take iron off the tee to make sure I'm in play, this thing is a rocket. Do I need to recover and hit a 220+ yard hero shot, this is the club. On top of all that the club actually feels nice.

5-PW: Srixon z765, Nippon Modus3 130S

These clubs are amazing. They feel wonderful and the v-sole really makes them get through the turf. They look great and the added blade length w/ tungsten really helps the forgiveness of these more player profile clubs. The only thing I did to these was change the lofts and lies a little bit to work on gapping. The other thing is double check the lengths of these clubs, they usually come a little long compared to other manufacturers.

GW, SW Cleveland RTX3 48*, 54* both bent weak. Nippon Modus3 130s

Between the rtx 3 and 4 the biggest difference is the offset and the roundness of the heads. I like the rtx 4 in the 54 and 58, but the 46 and 50 look too close to the irons after a while. The rtx 3 is easy to hit a multitude of shots and can spin the ball quite well. I usually try and take the least amount of loft I can when playing around the green. When approaching from the fairway, care needs to be taken on how I hit the shot since trapped balls will spin back quite a bit while high soft shots will just sit.

LW: Titleist SM6 60* Low Bounce K, Dynamic Gold S400

I think this is a cool club. The low bounce k is playable from a variety of lies. This club has helped me get out of situations. The only complaint is the low bounce can sometime slide under the ball a bit to easy if I'm not focusing on strike.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

I've bought a lot of putters over since coming back to gold. The 2.5 and toulon San Francisco are the 2 putters I've gone back to on numerous occasions and have survived my sell offs. When I went to club champion they recommended me going to a mallet with more loft and more upright. The Newport 2 in the picture was bent to the specs they recommended. I'm not exactly happy with how its rolling. The Spider Tour is the next putter I'm trying since I'm not exactly happy with my putting currently.

Ball: 5th Generation Srixon Z Star XV

I tried a bunch of balls in 2017 and 2018. My first consistent ball was the chrome soft x, but mostly because it was sold in the PX. I then moved towards Vice Pro but they got damaged too quickly. I had an on again off again play with prov1 and prov1x at this point but hated the price point of them. I then learned about Srixon and tried the z star and xv and was blown away by the performance of the balls. I loved the XV off my longer clubs and greenside spin was okay. The z star was better around the green, but stuck with the firmer ball. The only other contender was the snell MTB. The black was a solid ball, but I went back to the XV for the feel.

The q star tour is a great ball as well and I now have the 2 new Z stars in testing. So far I'm impressed with both.

Glove: Srixon. It's cheap durable and all leather. Was what got me to consider the Srixon brand

Bag: Ping Hoofer. I walk a majority of my rounds and this carry bag is pretty comfortable. It also has a pass through for those cart days. I'm also in the thought process of going towards a push cart to help ensure I'm not hurting my back and shoulders while playing. Also to help me actually use any technology to help me ensure I'm playing the right strategy.

Range Finder: Bushnell X2. It works really well. The only other range finder on my mind is the Garmin with the GPS overlay. I've also used game golf and shot scope. Between the two shot scope I preferred and cant wait to give arccos a try.

Now, I cant wait to put in my order for the Morgan Cup tomorrow. Next update will be when the clubs come in.

9dc9dcbf5ed959d7dd0395fc28acf58c.jpg
7250dcb2070e1a80870a7763ee292b10.jpg
f50b015b30e2f9a44a4a7184c3471be5.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice!!!!

Morgan Cup bound!

F9 9*, +1*, Atmos TS black 7X
F9 3-4, -1*, Atmos TS blue 7X
F9 Tour 4-5, std, Atmos TS ble 7X

F9 Irons 4-G, c-taper lite S

King Black Wedge, Widelow 56*, 60*

Let's go Team Paradise
186c79c8d1b5e93c0d84ec871156822c.jpg
5a159cf72ee0b5f90e645a6017b5e3b2.jpg

Morgan Cup bound!

F9 9*, +1*, Atmos TS black 7X
F9 3-4, -1*, Atmos TS blue 7X
F9 Tour 4-5, std, Atmos TS ble 7X

F9 Irons 4-G, c-taper lite S

King Black Wedge, Widelow 56*, 60*

Let's go Team Paradise
186c79c8d1b5e93c0d84ec871156822c.jpg
5a159cf72ee0b5f90e645a6017b5e3b2.jpg

That is a good looking bag!!

Dig it

that driver headcover is so freaking money

Sweet set up, loving that driver headcover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great looking setup!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm waiting for 2 clubs to come in, but I think I got my 2020 bag sorted out. I may fiddle with the top of the bag shafts a little after they get in.

I will take pictures soon of what's currently in the bag.

Quick history of my bag since the Morgan Cup.
It's interesting compared to my pre Morgan Cup bag. My Morgan Cup bag changed quite a bit. While I loved the woods, the irons and wedges were only okay. I think the heads were fine but ctaper lite S was way too light for me and I lost the ability to control some shots. It was fun hitting my 7 iron 200ish yards but I had a lot of weirdness 8 iron on down.

My initial changes was to pull the 4 iron and add a 5th wedge which worked out okay. But having 5 wedges really messed with my head and i really didn't like pulling a club labeled P for 150+ yard shots. While i loved the f9 irons for how easy they were to hit, they were crazy hot off the face.

I then moved from the f9 irons into the cobra ftb. Those more or less resolved the hotness issue I had with them. I think I still have my best ever ball striking round with them. But for whatever reason I decided to move back towards more traditional lofts. At this time I also went back to rtx4 wedges. Again not a head issue but a shaft issue.

My movement back to more traditional lofts went the way of mizuno jpx 919 tours. Which are probably one of the best irons I've ever used. Those heads are somehow forgiving, long, and workable. I then took a fly on a set of mp20 combo set which failed due to the build (c9 just way too light). I promptly returned those. I also got a used set of z785s again to try out graphite which was interesting.

For my current set of irons, I've always liked the cobra CB/MB irons. The CBs look great and the MBs have tungsten in the toe making them very forgiving for the blade length. Unless I find a set of srixon z745 or z945 I'm probably not moving from these unless the new Cobra MiM iron blows these away. Shaft wise I went with modus 130X. I like Project X 6.5 and 7.0 along with Ctaper S and S+. The Ctaper X feels too brittle and that is the one flaw with that profile for me. The Modus 130, and I heard tour v has a similar profile as well, has all the stability but with a tip that has some life to it. I even got the gap wedge for the full sole. I bent a 52* classic king wedge (chrome) to 54* and have a 58* king wedge wide low. Both have matching modus 130X in them.

At the top of the bag there was very little changes. My 5 wood was literally unchanged from the Morgan Cup. My driver I switch from the yellow head to the Masters head. Same loft setup. I did change into a tensei pro orange 70tx from the atmos ts black 7x and tensei pro white 60tx. 3 wood was more of an adventure than the 5 wood and driver. I tried out a thriver (f9 12* turned up to 13.5*). However the thriver had a nasty habit of turning over and while I could play it from the turf wasn't as controllable. It sorta worked as a draw biased tee club with driver being a fade biased club, but even that had its limitations. I eventually went back to the f9 3 wood and put a tensei pro white 70tx in it. Needless to say it's been awesome and has slotted back into bag wonderfully.

Going into 2020 the changes at the top of the bag are slowly coming in. I'm sticking with Cobra after taking a look at the SIM. At driver I have a 9* Speedzone Xtreme in Tour Length. 3 wood is a big tour 3 and 5 wood is a tour 5. All of them have Project x smoke yellow 70 6.5. I will likely tweak the shafts and am intrigued by the Ventus lineup. Tensei has been a good lineup for me as well.

20200316_171808.jpg20200316_171758.jpg

Some quick pictures of the bag right now.

Currently under the headcovers:
SZX 9* set at -1*D w/ Project X Smoke Yellow 70 6.5 at 44.5"
F9 14.5* set at STD w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX at 42.5"
F9 Tour 17.5* set at STD w/ Fujikura Atmos TS Blur 7X at 41.25"
Spider X Chalk Single Bend 34"

Irons
4-6 Cobra King Forged Pro CB w/ Modus 130X
7-GW Cobra King Forged Pro MB w/ Modus 130X

Wedges
52*: Cobra King Wedge Classic Grind, bent to 54* w/ Modus 130X
58*: Cobra King Wedge Widelow Grind w/ Modus 130X

All currently in my Morgan Cup bag with 2 SWAG towels.

Let's Go Team Paradise!!!

Nice looking bag and clubs!!

Slight change yesterday. I put a Tensei Pro Orange 60tx in driver at the same setting. So far working out great. Speedzone Xtreme can hit bombs.

Also pretty sure my 3 wood and 5 wood are going to be several weeks delayed given the current world situation.

Nice looking bag for 2020! I absolutely love those pocket pair SWAG headcovers

Nice looking bag for 2020! I absolutely love those pocket pair SWAG headcovers

They are my favorite they've done so far. I have some stacked skulls, but these blow them away.

Probably the only other ones that have caught my eye were the money ones.

Having some fun with my backup bag. I need to get it on the course ASAP.

Driver: G400 LST
3 Wood: CBX 119
5 Wood: SZ Tour
4-P: JPX 919 Tour
GW/SW: RTX4
LW: SM6 Low Bounce K

20200611_094159.jpg20200611_094205.jpg20200611_094213.jpg20200611_094226.jpg

Nice secondary setup, like the Cobra bag. (y)

Back