Traveling to St. Andrews in June - what should I know?

aenemated

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys! So ... ultimate bucket list trip was booked in December. I'm playing the New Course, the Old Course and Carnoustie in June! It's a celebration for my dad - who got me started in this game as a kid - who passed away 20 years ago. We always talked about going there so the trip is in tribute to him.

This is actually my first trip to the UK, so I'm wondering what I - as a good ol' boy from the south that found his way to California and has only been out of the US once (to Costa Rica) - ought to know.

Any travel tips from yall that've been or live over there?

Hey guys! So ... ultimate bucket list trip was booked in December. I'm playing the New Course, the Old Course and Carnoustie in June! It's a celebration for my dad - who got me started in this game as a kid - who passed away 20 years ago. We always talked about going there so the trip is in tribute to him.

This is actually my first trip to the UK, so I'm wondering what I - as a good ol' boy from the south that found his way to California and has only been out of the US once (to Costa Rica) - ought to know.

don't be afraid to drive, even though it's on the wrong side of the car, and wrong side of the rode, it's ok. Drive to St. Andrews from Edinburgh is quite simple really.

I can't give you any tips but... if there is the chance you are there the 29th thru the 4th of July. C u there, let's play

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

One thing. Don’t be THAT American. That “mulligan” is called a “Three”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Take pictures but keep up, slow play by their standards is faster than US play.
Buy or at least offer to get your caddie, if you get one, a sandwich or drink at the turn, there’s a food truck.
Take it in, it’s beautiful. The way Golf was meant to be played.
Go to Dunvegan and have a pint. It’s awesome.
I don’t know if you walk or carry your bag but if you do, work it into the conversation. Your reads & lines get better when the caddie figures out you play proper golf.

Take rain gear!!!!!

Take rain gear!!!!!

Forgot that one. I hauled mine around for 8 rounds, never so much as unpacked it much less used it. But sure glad I had it.

Walk and get a caddy. The caddy really adds with course knowledge and local lore. Take a picture on the bridge. You will be surprised how many non golfers go on on the course to have there picture taken there. Go to the Museum right by the course. It is worth it. Lots of great little pubs and golf shops in walking distance. Beware of the gorse and pot bunkers. Have fun!

Read Tom Coyne’s book “A Course Called Scotland”. Great read about every aspect of Scottish links golf. He plays and reviews every links course in Scotland. It’s not a travel guide but more of a memoir. Coyne is a really good writer and an absolute golf nut.

Odd I was just yesterday thinking if I’d ever get to take a trip out there. Loving paycheck to paycheck not able to save money and almost 4 with two bachelor degrees. Wondered how much I’d need to save and thought about 6k - 10k to do the trip right. Meaning eating well, staying well and playing all the courses i can in 7 days. Then thought I’d probably want to have about 250k saved before taking 10k to blow on a trip plus I’d need to have kids college paid for in cash saved as well so I quickly realized I’m never taking this god damn trip.

So I gotta ask: how much have you budgeted for this trip to play 3 rounds?

The Keys Bar in St. Andrews. Fantastic selection of swing lube.

There may be towns folk watching you tee off of 1 and come back in on 18 (Old Course and Carnoustie). It's fun just enjoy it.

Try everything on the breakfast plate no matter how it looks.

Read Tom Coyne’s book “A Course Called Scotland”. Great read about every aspect of Scottish links golf. He plays and reviews every links course in Scotland. It’s not a travel guide but more of a memoir. Coyne is a really good writer and an absolute golf nut.

Awesome - I went back and re-read "Golf in the Kingdom" right after I made these plans. Will definitely pick that up. Might be a good read for the flight. Thanks!

Walk and get a caddy. The caddy really adds with course knowledge and local lore. Take a picture on the bridge. You will be surprised how many non golfers go on on the course to have there picture taken there. Go to the Museum right by the course. It is worth it. Lots of great little pubs and golf shops in walking distance. Beware of the gorse and pot bunkers. Have fun!

Oh yeah, definitely getting a caddy. Did that for my Pebble Beach trip and it was absolutely awesome money well spent.

Take rain gear!!!!!

Planned! One of buddies from my regular group is from Ireland and that's the first thing he told me!

Odd I was just yesterday thinking if I’d ever get to take a trip out there. Loving paycheck to paycheck not able to save money and almost 4 with two bachelor degrees. Wondered how much I’d need to save and thought about 6k - 10k to do the trip right. Meaning eating well, staying well and playing all the courses i can in 7 days. Then thought I’d probably want to have about 250k saved before taking 10k to blow on a trip plus I’d need to have kids college paid for in cash saved as well so I quickly realized I’m never taking this god damn trip.

So I gotta ask: how much have you budgeted for this trip to play 3 rounds?

Haha well, the golf, lodging and flight are already paid for. :)

Lodging and golf worked out to about $4500ish after exchange rates. I have a Citibank AA card and used the AA miles for the flight, so that wound up being free with the exception of taxes and a couple hundred for upgraded seats.

Ah, my trip is the first week of June. I'll post some photos to get you stoked for July!

Have a great time! Sounds awesome and you’re dad will be happy you made it. He’ll be looking down on ya and maybe you’ll get a member bounce or two

1. First bit of advice, get a round in at Kingsbarns.....

2, abd 8Bsmith- I just did a trip there last June. We booked through a tour group, so same guy drove the 8 of us from Glasgow to Trump Turnberry, played at Turnberry one day, Royal Troon the next. Same guy then drove us to St. Andrews where we stayed at the hotel on the 18th fairway of Old Course, can't remember name. We then played St. Old Course, Jubilee, Muirfield, and
Kingsbarns. So for the hotels, transportation and green fees it cost us about 5500 bucks. You can definitely do it cheaper without the tour group.

Hey guys! So ... ultimate bucket lst trip was booked in December. I'm playing the New Course, the Old Course and Carnoustie in June! It's a celebration for my dad - who got me started in this game as a kid - who passed away 20 years ago. We always talked about going there so the trip is in tribute to him.

Nice one!

First they drive on the correct side of the road ;)

Pack for all weathers, 4 season in one day at St Andrews!

Try Haggis, its lovely and a bacon buttie, bacon is head and shoulders so much better than the so so stuff here.

Find a place to sample so local whisky.

As for golf.

Take a caddy and do what he says even if it looks ridiculous.

Enjoy the atmosphere and location soak it all up and just enjoy your time and then tell us about it when you return.

I live in Dundee, 30 mins north of St Andrews, 15 mins from Carnoustie

If i can, happy to answer any questions

I live in Dundee, 30 mins north of St Andrews, 15 mins from Carnoustie

If i can, happy to answer any questions

first question that comes to mind, can you get us a tee time on the old course? I'd be happy to pay for your round

first question that comes to mind, can you get us a tee time on the old course? I'd be happy to pay for your round

Unfortunately not at this time, I don't have the contacts.

Best option is ballot if you are in Scotland, or try your luck as a single player on the day

don't be afraid to drive, even though it's on the wrong side of the car, and wrong side of the rode, it's ok. Drive to St. Andrews from Edinburgh is quite simple really.

I'm indifferent on this. I drove myself and wish I hadn't as it was foggy (always is) and those roundabouts in the wrong direction suck. If u do drive get a small car as the roads are super narrow.. also, whatever u do, play Carnoustie!

There are so many great courses in this area, if you can't get a tee time on the old course look elsewhere. A great source is Erik Anders Lang's scotland video series, watching it means you can pick the course you like the look of most.

Also check out "No Laying Up : Tourist Sauce (Scotland Golf)" on youtube, they visited during the best weather in recent years and played a lot of courses

I rented a car and drove all over the UK when I went. If you don't drive a stick and don't want to do it backwards, insist on automatic. Most people still drive manual over there. That being said, it took me 15 minutes to adjust to driving on the other side.

I rented a car and drove all over the UK when I went. If you don't drive a stick and don't want to do it backwards, insist on automatic. Most people still drive manual over there. That being said, it took me 15 minutes to adjust to driving on the other side.

yeah I rented automatic. I stopped in Northern Ireland first and din't need a car there, so Scotland was my first time driving. I booked the smallest car possible, and when I got there I ended up with a bigger SUV. 10-15 minutes sounds right to me, and the drive from EDI was a great way to ease in to it, being that the first portion is highway. Just had to get used to narrow left, wide right turns. I ended up driving the rest of the tip when shot back to Ireland. Being on the left side of the road and right side of the car was really no big deal for me.

Back