“Power Spec” Irons - What Analytics so you use to evaluate other Irons?

Iceman!

THPer formerly known as "markm778"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
So for the last 3 years I’ve been playing “Power Spec” or “Strong” Lofted Irons ( Bridgestone JGR Hybrid Irons and Rogue X) and I’ve built my bag around them. Just for giggles I’ve been looking at other irons that are almost a club difference in loft and by testing the same difference in distance.
As an example, a Big Bertha 7i Iron goes the same distance as my Rogue X 8i. The loft between them is 1.5° (31.5° in the Rogue 8i vs 30° in the BB 7i).

So how do I look to replace my Rogue X irons?
Try to find a 7i to 7i match on Distance?

Accept that there is no exact match, my 7i is now my 8i and add an Iron or Hybrid to the top end the set.

I’m I caught in a “Power Spec Iron” world and never to come out of it??

Maybe I wait until Callaway has a replacement to the Rogue X Irons!? @Dnevs has said on a couple of interviews that 50% of Callaway Rogue Iron sales are X Irons, so I can’t see them not replacing them.

How have others dealt with an Iron evaluation between sets when there was a difference in lofts?

Unless there's something you are looking to change one model year of irons is probably not enough to really differentiate.

I've been all over the map with iron changes. I think it comes down to personal preferences. That said unless you want to change wedges or hybrids you have to find transitions that work on both sides. I'm using fairly weakly lofted clubs 716 AP2 right now and love it. I just picked them up at the end of year last so this may be the honeymoon talking, but I ended last season using the irons with a marked improvement in accuracy over G15 / 718 AP1. The heavier shafts may be helping me (DG AMT R300).

DT

Back