Another game improvement iron thread

golfchoppin

Reaction score
Handicap
I think I have narrowed down my choices to either Ping G30 or Callaway Big Bertha. I plan on trying both out tomorrow but would like to have some opinions/suggestions from anyone willing to give them. I shoot in the low 100s and mid to high 90s on a good day so I need all of the help I can get. I also have a 2 day golf lesson scheduled Thursday and Friday and the Dresser golf school and I would like to have them by then so I can work with them there. Thanks in advance!

I think I have narrowed down my choices to either Ping G30 or Callaway Big Bertha. I plan on trying both out tomorrow but would like to have some opinions/suggestions from anyone willing to give them. I shoot in the low 100s and mid to high 90s on a good day so I need all of the help I can get. I also have a 2 day golf lesson scheduled Thursday and Friday and the Dresser golf school and I would like to have them by then so I can work with them there. Thanks in advance!

Best advise would be to get fitted to see if maybe you need different than standard LLL on a club. You also want to hopefully hit with an open mind, all brand clubs and make your choice based on the numbers you see.

But most importantly, practice practice practice. Meaning, lessons, and range work.

Now I'm not the best golfer, usually low 90's, but I enjoy the game.

If you have the chance, do try the WS D200 as well. I love mine. Really easy to hit and often long and straight.

Two good iron choices that are both forgiving. The Big Bertha set is hollow body construction which can allow for some different technology compared to irons. Think hybrid design in iron form.

Out of the two of those I prefer the Berthas but both are good iron sets.

I have a set of the Big Berthas and find them very forgiving.
I've never hit he G30's so I cannot compare.
As JB touched on the BIg Berthas are hollow body construction, so they have a slightly different sound. I have seen decent distance gains with these as well.
They are in the SGI iron category, so they are big as well.
If there is anything else specifically you'd like please don't hesitate to reach out.

What do you have now?

i'd be wary about changing clubs before a 2 day workshop. Part of what I'd expect to get from them would be advice about clubs.

As had been mentioned, don't sleep on the D200s, or the C200s for that matter. Both by Wilson Staff.

Agreed with the others - both sets are very good, there are also a number of other sets out there like the 200 line from Wilson/Staff that are fantastic, and you may want to discuss your irons with your instructor during your 2 day session. I totally understand wanting to have something new when you go to your lessons, but an instructor's eye & advice may be more beneficial to you than just our input.

I currently have fila 928 irons which I've had well over 15 years. I also thought about waiting to see what the instructor recommend but I think I would rather be instructed on the set I plan on using in the future.

It took me a long time to realize that handicap and game improvement or super game improvement clubs don't necessarily go hand in glove. You need to extensively test everything with an open mind. By handicap it would appear that I'd benefit from a larger GI/SGI iron but based on my angle of attack I need something thinner with better turf interaction so I gravitate to a thin soled iron with good toe forgiveness. If I put a G30 iron and my current i's side by side I would be chunking the G30's 2 out of 5 times whereas I'm picking the i's clean virtually every time. Hit 'em all and see what is best for you.

I have the Big Bertha irons and they are quite easy to hit. I now even have confidence hitting my 4I, even more than I do with my hybrid.

Don't sleep on the Cobra, Bridgestone, W/S, Taylormade, or Titleist offerings. They all make a good GI/SGI set of irons now, hit as many as you can and see which ones really speak to you in hand.

Back