Golf Technology vs. Playing Golf

Technology can useful. Launch monitors provide accurate ball flight and distance numbers. SAM Puttlab measure putting strokes. Video enables to teachers to see more of the golf swing. All of these can be beneficial during the offseason or in confined spaces they can work wonders. I think the biggest key is finding someone that can interpret those numbers and not chase someones idea of the perfect swing. ultimately you need to swing your swing and find out the numbers that work for you. On the golf course you only get one swing.

Technology or get better?

aoz8kgx8pzknypz7z38n.jpg

Isn't this a chicken or the egg question? You need both but new clubs makes me happy!!

Isn't this a chicken or the egg question? You need both but new clubs makes me happy!!

I don't think it is a chicken or egg question. Question wasn't really about new clubs; it was about using technology to fit yourself to a perceived optimal launch condition. When on the course you probably never achieve that condition for a variety of reasons.

We have been discussing using technology to verify feel more accurately than you can visually.

I would say 100% learn to play the game. equipment can only help to a point. I mean you are the one swinging the clubs, if you dont have any idea how to swing it what good is the best driver in the world.

I don't think it is a chicken or egg question. Question wasn't really about new clubs; it was about using technology to fit yourself to a perceived optimal launch condition. When on the course you probably never achieve that condition for a variety of reasons.

We have been discussing using technology to verify feel more accurately than you can visually.

So for the old school fitters that don't use technology to fit their clients would you say they are not helping their client find the best fit as if they were using a launch monitor? I know a guy who uses a gc2 only as a confirmation for the client when doing fittings.

So for the old school fitters that don't use technology to fit their clients would you say they are not helping their client find the best fit as if they were using a launch monitor? I know a guy who uses a gc2 only as a confirmation for the client when doing fittings.

I think there are some people that are probably close to being as proficient as the monitors and I think any fitting is better than no fitting at all. Any technology or fitting is only as good as the instructor. If the fitter can't interpret the numbers correctly it is a waste.

My putting instructors uses Puttlab reports to verify what he sees and his recommendations as well.

For me using tech during practice is away to confirm changes are moving numbers in the right direction, re-enforcing good swings with data that shows I'm doing it right. Tech helps me create a repeatable swing that gives me optimal numbers, maximum control and consistency.

That all leads to playing golf once on the course, knowing how to manipulate your swing to manufacture a shot is how you become a "player" imo. If you are looking just to play the game then using tech isn't necessary.

While you can fit well if you have done it forever I probably wouldn't have a fitting done with someone who doesn't believe in using technology, specially to really dial things in. Maybe they can tell the difference between 2000 rpm and 2250 rpm by eye but I doubt it.

While you can fit well if you have done it forever I probably wouldn't have a fitting done with someone who doesn't believe in using technology, specially to really dial things in. Maybe they can tell the difference between 2000 rpm and 2250 rpm by eye but I doubt it.

Are golfers improving because of technology?

I have a theory that golfers aren't getting better because the attributes that make great golfers cannot be taught. There is nothing that can be done to improve hand eye coordination. At the same time, we have all of these tools to help get better. But what never improves is the desire for unmotivated individuals to spend the effort to maximize their abilities.

The one guy I know has been in the business for a long time and is someone that other fitters and OEM reps respect. He watches how a person loads a club, the ball flight, contact point on the club face. The gc2 without software is the lm he uses and it's there for the client to see the numbers and he looks at it periodically to see the numbers but for the most part uses his knowledge and experience to fit. And the difference in ball flight and numbers between 2000 and 2250 is nothing. There are people who can estimate pretty much tell within a couple hundred rpm of spin.

After reading the what gives you the most satisfaction thread it is apparrent that people prefer to strike the ball well vs scoring well. I continually read threads about people seeking optimal numbers on launch monitors. We see threads that show technology that helps select the perfect club and shaft for you. Posts are always tauting the technology used in clubs. Technology advancements are supposed to make us better golfers by putting the best equiment in our hands and help build swings that acheive optimal results. However, surveys continually show golfers are not getting any better.

Buying new equiment is fun, but the question is should people focus on technology and chasing numbers or spend time learning how to play golf?

IMO, too many golfers focus way to much on launch monitor data and new technology. I had this discussion a few months ago with a group of low index players at my club who have a weekly game the last 18 years every Friday morning. They reserve the 11:10, 11:20, and 11:30 tee times each Friday and the unwritten rule is you have to be a low single digit or better to play in the group. There's not a lot of money on the line but on a very bad day you could lose $30 assuming no side bets. That week there were 10 of us and I asked how many had been on a launch monitor that year. Only 2 had, both on a Trackman outside at our range for a driver selection but both had made adjustments to length, shaft flex/type, or loft after their initial fitting. Three of the players had drivers over 4 years old, 2 of those were Nakashima drivers. Four of the ten had irons over 5 years old and only 1 of the 10 had irons that were less than a year old, yours truly. The thing all these guys had in common that I almost never see from a bogey golfer, sound fundamentals. All had good alignment, posture, grip, ball position, and tempo. All of them also practice their short game more than their full shots. BTW, the guy with the worst index that day was a 2.4, and he was 68 years old.

I have, don't really care if other people have. That said it was probably due to playing a lot of golf and working to get better.

I think whoever dumps excess money into their bags does both.

Back