Electronics Pondering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Picked up the LG V10 today (and switched my wireless provider). Absolutely love the phone so far, but I'll spend the next few days getting used to it.
Got one during the Christmas promo. Extra battery and 64gb card for free with the v10 purchase. Love the phone!

I'm going big with a TV. Is 4k UHD worth it?

I'll say this: the talking heads say don't bother yet. Wait another year. But if you like it go for it. They are gorgeous.

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Looking at 50"-55" TVs to replace my 37" Sony Vega. Looks like some good Super Bowl sales are coming up, I'm trying to keep it to $500 or less if I can. No need for Smart TV with a Wii and a PS4 that'll be hooked up to it. Taking a hard look at this one right here, from reviews it seems to be a good price for a set of this size & decent audio quality.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba...lack/4203600.p?id=1219707771149&skuId=4203600

Looking at 50"-55" TVs to replace my 37" Sony Vega. Looks like some good Super Bowl sales are coming up, I'm trying to keep it to $500 or less if I can. No need for Smart TV with a Wii and a PS4 that'll be hooked up to it. Taking a hard look at this one right here, from reviews it seems to be a good price for a set of this size & decent audio quality.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/toshiba...lack/4203600.p?id=1219707771149&skuId=4203600

That's a pretty solid price - if they have them in stock, maybe go check it out in store?

We've had good luck with TVs in the bargain price range at Costco if you've got a membership there.

That's a pretty solid price - if they have them in stock, maybe go check it out in store?

We've had good luck with TVs in the bargain price range at Costco if you've got a membership there.

That's the plan. I'm going to head out one night this week to check them out.

No Costco here, but I did check the TVs at BJs last week. I wasn't too impressed with their pricing in comparison to BB and Target.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd look for Vizio and Samsung first. I have no idea if they come in your size and budget though.

I haven't heard great things about Toshiba in quite a while but that set seems to get good reviews.

Electronics Pondering

Thought I would post some initial thoughts here on a security camera system I recently received after a long kickstarter program...the home security camera scene appears to have been coming on strong lately and instead of paying $200 for a dropcam I dropped $300 on a 5 camera system with Blink:

http://blinkforhome.com/

After quite a long wait my system arrived about a week ago and I got them installed at all the entrances of my home. The cameras are completely wireless and run (supposedly up to a year) on 2 AA batteries. They are about the size of a post it note pack and they are pretty easy to mount anywhere or they will stand on their own if you prefer putting them on a bookcase or shelf. Anyway, you can get all the details and see videos and such on their website but it was super easy for me to set up and the quality of the video feed is really good. It wasn't just the cheaper start up cost that led me to this, but they also offer free cloud storage and are working on local usb storage via the sync module.

The system is still young and they are rolling out updates and improvements throughout the year supposedly. The app needs work but for just getting off the ground I am really happy with the system and excited to see what may come. They have stated an outdoor camera is their top requested item so I will be curious if that is ever produced.

Anyway, you can read up more on their site and I would be happy to answer any questions anyone might have. I'll grab some stills from my phone and post them up via tapatalk soon.

Screenshot of the app where you can update preview pics as well as arm/disarm, activate live view and change camera settings:
10fc5a6eba9c0d471f2b1fda9f4532d8.jpg

Example of video:
https://vimeo.com/152993563

Last edited:
I did a very quick skim and didn't see anything on dash cams so forgive me if I overlooked it. I am pondering a dash cam, but there are so many to choose from, most are from China and the same models have different names as well as distributors. So I am looking for advice on one. Nothing to expensive, but not something that isn't at least well made. Something that will take a 32 gig micro sd, camera that will swivel, has sound, with good day / night resolution and one that records in 1080p.

Need a cheap pc to run LM software 4gb ram and 3D graphics card

Rancey I'm assuming this needs wifi to work?

Yes sir. So far so good for me. Its nice to know when your kids get home from school. Not so nice to know every time your dog moves so I had to adjust the sensitivity a little. I keep forgetting to disarm it each morning and evening so I have been able to accidentally test it alot. They definitely need to add geo fencing, scheduling and a few other things that they say they are working on.

Happy so far

My wife just got an XPS 13 laptop with the 3200x1800 touch display. Consider me fully jealous.

My wife just got an XPS 13 laptop with the 3200x1800 touch display. Consider me fully jealous.

I've got the non touchscreen version. Best windows laptop I've ever owned.

This has been a ponder for awhile, but I know it will lead to new speakers so I haven't pulled the trigger. That said I'm considering a Denon AVR-S910W to replace my Pioneer VSX-1020 K.

Bought a new travel router as my hootoo was just too big

I believe Nikon has a 360 camera either here or coming too.
And I know GoPro will be next.

My JayBirds are not holding the charge like they used to, might be time for a new pair of bluetooth earbuds. Anyone have any better recommendations than JayBirds? I've had no issues with mine and have enjoyed them, just wanted to see if others are using another brand and can comment on quailty.

I believe Nikon has a 360 camera either here or coming too.
And I know GoPro will be next.

GoPro needs something. Holy crap that company is in the tank.

Hey fellas
Need a wifi signal extender for a reasonable price. Noticed over the last few months the connection sucks on the 2nd floor and our bedroom is the furthest from the router...thoughts

I can live with that price...did u notice it slowing down your internet speed at all?

Not really. It was not as fast as being close to or plugged in, but was faster than it was without it.

So we're in the process of finalizing our basement project with our contractor. I'm stoked! We're sinking some serious cash into the lower level and can't figure out if I want a projector/screen or flat screen.

Things just running through my head...

The flat screen at 80" will cost some serious coin. Probably in the tune of $3k-$5k. At that price I may as well get a projector/screen setup.

If I go this route I'm looking at the higher end Epson or the JVC 4K Home Theater Projector and would setup the screen at either 80" or 94". I'm wrestling with whether 4K res would be necessary at this size? Right now I'm browsing various screen innovation models that could compliment the projector.

Let me know if anyone has thoughts/feedback to help my decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back