Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Fairway Wood Review

had a free day yesterday so went to golfsmith to che k out the new stuff and ended up trading in my 915F and bertha mini for this in 16 degree. very very consistent club....no death toe hook like the titleist lol. distance seemed on par maybe just a touch longer but tighter dispersion is what did it. 14* would make a great tee club but wasn't getting enough height off the deck so went 16. hit a bucket at the range afterwards and liked what I saw. really blew away all the other fairways. looking forward to putting it in play sunday.

had a free day yesterday so went to golfsmith to che k out the new stuff and ended up trading in my 915F and bertha mini for this in 16 degree. very very consistent club....no death toe hook like the titleist lol. distance seemed on par maybe just a touch longer but tighter dispersion is what did it. 14* would make a great tee club but wasn't getting enough height off the deck so went 16. hit a bucket at the range afterwards and liked what I saw. really blew away all the other fairways. looking forward to putting it in play sunday.

Nice! Looking forward to hearing how it treats you on the course Sunday!

got out today but had 2 situations to use this club. 1st was second shot on a par 5....pushed it right of the green from 260 out and second was off tee...260 right where I was aiming. happy so far. usually use woods more but it was a short wide open driver friendly course.

great feeling. and by far the best looking.

This is a very solid fairway wood. Not a huge callaway guy but this is a very solid offering for sure. I hit 7 different 3 woods when I went in and this was in the top 3 which 1-3 were really interchangeable. Anyone considering a new fairway should definitely give this a look.

This thing is a weapon. I still find myself SEEKING out reasons to hit it more. That is saying something.

I had three opportunities to hit my 3 wood today and all three swings were awful. Topped two of them and then barely made it to the bottom groove on the third one. But somehow it still went 240. It's scary how good these fairways are. My 5 wood is just as fun as the 3 wood

Have demo'ed this one a few times, and like it more every time. Just a great looking and feeling club, with more forgiveness than I would have expected. Very strongly considering the 16 degree, and I got the best results with the heavier weight in the back.

Question for you guys, is the stock Rogue that I was hitting a pretty low launch/low spin shaft? From the numbers I was getting I need a little bit more launch. So pondering between putting in a higher launch shaft, maybe the kuro kage black or matrix white tie, or going up to the 18 degree and sticking with the stock shaft. Any suggestions or input? Thanks.

it is a low launch low spin shaft. had trouble getting the 14 up in the air off the deck so went with the 16 and it's perfect. gets up and just goes. white tie would be a good choice to help getting the ball up.

Have demo'ed this one a few times, and like it more every time. Just a great looking and feeling club, with more forgiveness than I would have expected. Very strongly considering the 16 degree, and I got the best results with the heavier weight in the back.

Question for you guys, is the stock Rogue that I was hitting a pretty low launch/low spin shaft? From the numbers I was getting I need a little bit more launch. So pondering between putting in a higher launch shaft, maybe the kuro kage black or matrix white tie, or going up to the 18 degree and sticking with the stock shaft. Any suggestions or input? Thanks.
I think you will be pleased with this if you go for it. My suggestion is to go with something a little higher launching than the low/mid Rogue I/O but staying at a loft that will fit in your bag distance gap wise. Staying with Aldila, the Tour Green launched a smidge higher for me and the Blue higher than that (Blue is a great option imo). White tie is another option but not sure if it's no-upcharge. Kuro Kage as you mention is probably a good Avenue too for no up charge.

I haven't hit this Callaway offering yet but I will give it a demo after reading you guys gush over it. I've been playing Callaway fairway woods since the XHot line came out a few years ago. Currently my XR Deep and XR16 Pro are performing amazing but the GBB adjustable weights are pretty cool. Can anyone compare the flight of the GBB with the heavy weight forward to the XR Deep or Pro? I'm hitting the XR Deep and XR16 Pro very high(not too high) with an x flex Tour Green Shaft.

I think you will be pleased with this if you go for it. My suggestion is to go with something a little higher launching than the low/mid Rogue I/O but staying at a loft that will fit in your bag distance gap wise. Staying with Aldila, the Tour Green launched a smidge higher for me and the Blue higher than that (Blue is a great option imo). White tie is another option but not sure if it's no-upcharge. Kuro Kage as you mention is probably a good Avenue too for no up charge.

Thanks buddy. I only carry 1 fairway wood, and this will be it. So probably going to stick with the 16. Can always loft up with the adapter too. Aldila Blue is a good suggestion as well. Gonna pull the trigger today I think after I ponder the shaft a little more. I had the impression the Rogue I/O was def a lower launch shaft, so glad to hear it confirmed. Think this will really work well for me with a slightly higher launching shaft.

Thanks buddy. I only carry 1 fairway wood, and this will be it. So probably going to stick with the 16. Can always loft up with the adapter too. Aldila Blue is a good suggestion as well. Gonna pull the trigger today I think after I ponder the shaft a little more. I had the impression the Rogue I/O was def a lower launch shaft, so glad to hear it confirmed. Think this will really work well for me with a slightly higher launching shaft.
The I/O I've found to be low/mid launch. The weighting system can also help with launch if you put the 16g back. Keep us informed on what you end up with and hopefully I will see it in action sooner rather than later.

I foresee me trying one of these this season!

Pulled the trigger on this last night. 16 degree with the white tie shaft. Was a slight upcharge, but I know this shaft is a good fit for me as I have it in my driver. Club was pretty expensive anyway, whats a few more bucks to make sure I love it. Cant wait to hit it.

Has anyone gamed the 815 fairway and the 816 fairway?
Is there a major difference between the two clubs or just subtle changes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone gamed the 815 fairway and the 816 fairway?
Is there a major difference between the two clubs or just subtle changes?

Yes. I played the 815s last year. The 816 is much better. I have the 816 in a 16° head. It sets up better to my eye. The current offering is both more forgiving and more controllable.

Yes. I played the 815s last year. The 816 is much better. I have the 816 in a 16° head. It sets up better to my eye. The current offering is both more forgiving and more controllable.

I am looking for a fairway that only wants to go straight, no working of the ball, and minimal use of the tee. Would the 816 still be a far superior option or would those needs level off the playing field?

I am looking for a fairway that only wants to go straight, no working of the ball, and minimal use of the tee. Would the 816 still be a far superior option or would those needs level off the playing field?

Far superior. I was on a Foresight G2c+HMT last week hitting cuts and draws with mine.

if you are looking for a FW and you don't want all the tinkering that comes with it, check out the XR lineup. The 816 is a forgiving option, but what you are describing, I believe you can get within the Callaway family for a little less. Best way to find out is to hit them.

I think if you gave the 816 a chance you wouldnt think twice about the 815

I demo'd the 815, but bagged the 816. It's my favorite FW wood to date and one of the very few that I can hit off of both the turf AND the tee consistently.

Just got the shipping notice on mine. Will be arriving by the end of tomorrow. Quick turnaround on a customer order by Callaway. Impressive.

OK so I finally got this bad boy reshafted with this limited edition Grandaddy shaft.
c24660fb3d908f70390a7b6340c2252a.jpg
dcd10272706f0fb1cbae4660fd53b7cf.jpg
cf2e73d7a4c5cc37d0191de532df900d.jpg

I hit it in the indoor simulators yesterday. Took some getting used to because I haven't played a 3 wood in two years but man it is LONG. I hit a couple absolute missiles and it feels amazing off the face. It is so solid and had a great sound. I lofted up to 16* with the 16 g weight in the back and may have found my new favorite club! So glad i bought this thing and cannot wait to get on the course.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Back