Srixon 545 iron oddity.

Popeye

Reaction score
Handicap
I recently pulled a shaft on a z 545 9 iron. First thing I notice is the shaft was not installed all the way in the hosel but I had not taken notice that it was longer than normal before disassembly. The shaft was at normal installed and butt trimmed length. So I noticed a small red tip in the shaft and pulled it out. It weighs virtually nothing and I find it hard to believe it's a tip weight. The 6 iron I pulled had no red tip.

Anyone see this before? Reason for it?
6787581297f695e5f0c5b1566e0ca692.jpg

Hoping someone has insight because I'm curious now as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Prevent epoxy from going up into the shaft?

Prevent epoxy from going up into the shaft?
No, you want epoxy to be in the shaft, it helps lock the head to the shaft.

The shaft came with that in tip when it was new. Installer forgot to remove it? So it's an error? That is my guess.

The shaft came with that in tip when it was new. Installer forgot to remove it? So it's an error? That is my guess.
I've bought a lot of shafts and have never seen one in a blank. There appeared to be a bit of epoxy on the red piece, so it looks like it was done on purpose.

I've bought a lot of shafts and have never seen one in a blank. There appeared to be a bit of epoxy on the red piece, so it looks like it was done on purpose.

Weird - very weird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Measure twice, cut once, mess up & insert red thing?

Maybe he trimmed (ground) too much off the tip....??? IDN

It's to prevent too much epoxy from going up the shaft. There is a pin hole on the top right? That's to vent air during installation.

I think that particular shaft didn't need a tip weight whereas some others did. I think it's there so add a little (miniscule) length to match the other shafts with tip weights.

I think that particular shaft didn't need a tip weight whereas some others did. I think it's there so add a little (miniscule) length to match the other shafts with tip weights.
The 6 iron had nothing at all, no lead at all...but that is the only explanation has some credit to it.

I figured someone would know for sure why that was in there.

I have no idea what those are but when I pulled the stock shafts from my callaway forged wedges all of them had the same piece in the tip. I have wondered what they are as well.

Is it a plastic thing? If it is my Callaway apex irons i just took the heads off all had one in the bottom of the shaft.

Yes it's plastic. I guess it's in place instead of a lead tip weight that may be used somewhere in a set. I just could figure out why my 6 iron didn't have one.

It's to prevent too much epoxy from going up the shaft. There is a pin hole on the top right? That's to vent air during installation.

I agree. It is to keep epoxy from going into the shaft which could come loose later.

I just pulled a shaft from an apex MB installed by callaway and it had the same thing. Other callaway irons have had it too and I've confirmed with callaway that they do not do anything to the integrity or swing weight of the club.
6ce3d4c3ba16d2ba32224f648a6318d8.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just pulled a shaft from an apex MB installed by callaway and it had the same thing. Other callaway irons have had it too and I've confirmed with callaway that they do not do anything to the integrity or swing weight of the club.
6ce3d4c3ba16d2ba32224f648a6318d8.jpg

Thank you, still makes me question why the one and not the other. Plus the half way install

Thank you, still makes me question why the one and not the other. Plus the half way install

I've had shafts back out due to too much epoxy. We're these installed my the manufacturer?

I've had shafts back out due to too much epoxy. We're these installed my the manufacturer?

The clubs were bought on ebay, Srixon box and all the wrappers were on the heads and the shafts. So as near as I can tell it was all factory done. All other clubs are the correct assembled length. I got them very cheaply. I figure maybe someone saw the difference in installed length because of the bad epoxy job. So maybe they were seconds, just a guess.

The clubs were bought on ebay, Srixon box and all the wrappers were on the heads and the shafts. So as near as I can tell it was all factory done. All other clubs are the correct assembled length. I got them very cheaply. I figure maybe someone saw the difference in installed length because of the bad epoxy job. So maybe they were seconds, just a guess.

I would t worry too much either way. As long as the heads are good you are fine.

The first time I saw one of those red thingies in the shaft I was so confused so I called callaway. Unfortunately Google isn't much help because I didn't even know what to call it.

Could it be used to dampen the vibration. I know of one very well respected club maker who uses wood dowels to achieve that.

Could be a "mixed" set and the long irons came from elsewhere to complete it. Just a thought.

Back