2019 Waste Management Phoenix Open

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Let the debate live on whether the drunkfest of the par 3 is good or bad for golf.

Last year's winner was Gary Woodland.

2019 Waste Management Phoenix Open

The 16th is like a car wreck. You can’t help but stare.
It’s part of that tourney.
I don’t think it does anything for the game. Just a bunch of people looking for another reason to get hammered. While I’m sure there are a bunch of golf fans hanging out at that hole, I’d say the majority (90%+) are there for the social aspect.
Which works for that event.
It should be named the Happy Gilmore Classic.

Last edited:
I think its fun for golf. The guys all pretty much seem to get into it. Why not have a little fun once in awhile?

A fun dru k crowd is cool. Wouldn't want to be there when everyone leaves.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Interesting for sure. I think all the pros are okay with it.

I like it. It can’t be at every tournament and this one seems to have embraced it. Not sure it would work at any other venue.

I think its fun and different, not sure I'd like it if all tournaments were like that but once or even a few times a year is fun

Freaking pumped!

One of the best events of the year, mainly because it makes the hardcore traditionalists cringe.

Freaking pumped!

One of the best events of the year, mainly because it makes the hardcore traditionalists cringe.

I think it's the best part about the whole thing

I think the contradictions of it all make it wonderful. If another tournament did this it would diminish the awesomeness of this event. Also, I think most of the tour pros fully understand the atmosphere and the ones who absolutely hate it avoid the stop which is the one cool thing about golf.

One day I will go.

Freaking pumped!

^^^this.

I like the electricity and excitement. I wouldn't mind seeing another tourney or two try something similar.

I really like it because if gives the golfers a sense of how an athlete in the “big 4” feels the crowd’s energy. Because it’s only once a year makes it more special, wouldn’t mind another tournament or two having a hole like this but I think part of the allure is this is the only place it exists that I’m aware of outside of maybe the Ryder or Presidents cup.

I'm glad 16 and the Waste Management Phoenix Open exists, but I'm equally glad it's just this tournament.

I have been there and there was not as many drunks as you might think. Maybe later in the day but morning through early afternoon it was good. Everyone was just having a good time. Lots of yelling and cheering.

Let the debate live on whether the drunkfest of the par 3 is good or bad for golf.

Last year's winner was Gary Woodland.

Seeing the playoff last year on 18 made me think they should go all in on hole 16 and if there is a playoff, just go back there and play that hole till they get a winner. I personally love it, but I also dont want to see it copied by struggling tourneys to try to draw more fans. It's a unique thing for this event which has always had a spring break type vibe for the fans.

Always an exiting event and an even more exciting hole. Love it!

I love it! In basket ball you have guy in your face guarding you with 50K fans yelling and screaming and you have to make a shot but in golf , if there's the slightest noise you interfered with. Sorry, I just don't get it. We need more events like this!!

I think it is a cool hole, I wold not be there as I do not drink and have a low tolerance for "over imbibing". I am fine if you want to drink around me, but the raucous drunkenness is too much. That being said again, i like the hole and the guys rolling with it , throwing out swag and the PGA is wrong to eliminate the caddie races too.

DYLuNt2UQAEqaOs.jpg

Fun Sucks!!

I love it! In basket ball you have guy in your face guarding you with 50K fans yelling and screaming and you have to make a shot but in golf , if there's the slightest noise you interfered with. Sorry, I just don't get it. We need more events like this!!

We went to the Fort Worth rodeo Saturday & the very same thing occurred to me. The announcer is talking, music is playing, people are moving all around you, gates banging the whole deal & I remember being perfectly fine with it. I’m all for quiet reflection but they take it to seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good for golf because it brings in a lot of fringe fans and possible sports enthusiasts. Bad for the old curmudgeon who is stuck in his ways and unwilling to embrace a completely different event. It’s entertainment

I love watching the finish of the Wasted Management Open. Especially when it helps avoid turning on the excessive pre-Super Bowl coverage.

I’d love to visit the tournament some time, but I’m going to need parental supervision.

The start of gold digger season in Scottsdale. Look for a rich golfer, if that doesn't work then find the baseball player during spring training. Excellent people watching opportunities if you are into that sort of thing.

The 16th hole has become a "must see" event for a lot of fans (golf and non-golf). It has driven ticket sales which in turn increases revenue which in turn increases donations to charity. Waste Management has done a real good job promoting green alternatives during the event. Not to mention the extra revenue brought in to local businesses. It sucks for us locals that we can't get a good tee time for 1 week out of the year but the impact to the area is huge. It is a gimmick that works for Phoenix and I for one am happy to see it continue.

I'm going Saturday with a few buds from MI who are coming in for golf and WMPO. Really looking forward to it.

I'm going Saturday with a few buds from MI who are coming in for golf and WMPO. Really looking forward to it.
Thanks for the invite :alien:

Back