Highest Handicap Range for Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons

PowerCobra98

Reaction score
What would you say is the highest handicap range in which a golfer should/could play the Callaway Apex CF 16 irons? Realistically would a higher handicap player suffer significantly from playing them vs a game improvement set? From many of the comments I've seen in the past people speak highly of the Apex range (both the current version and the past) but I'm curious if there is a real world cutoff where a certain handicap will just not do well with those type of irons.

This set is very forgiving.
I think it can be used by most golfers.
If Cup Face tech is what you are after, they do offer it in larger offerings like XR and XR OS, but I find the Apex CF 16 to be very forgiving laterally and one of the most forgiving I have played, in a package like this, low on the club face

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think handicap matters for club selection. If they feel good, look good to your eyes, and give you results you want ... take them to the bank.

I wouldn't use handicap as an indicator for making a club selection for a set like this (not like we are talking blades which are significantly tougher to hit consistently). Plus high handicaps can occur for many reasons outside of iron type/ball striking.

The face is very forgiving. Do you need the help of an especially larger sole or more offset? If not, you very likely will be fine with these clubs, regardless of your handicap.

Harry Arnett told me something on the course that is soooo true. 98% of the clubs technology is in the bottom groove haha by far the most forgiving iron i have played and perfect for a wide range of handicaps

Handicap wouldn't tell the whole story anyway. I know high handicapers that are great ball strikers and just struggle in other areas. You just have to hit to see if they fit you.

Not that my handicap has dropped significantly at a 13.5ish but I was playing CB3s when I was a 16 and these are more forgiving for sure and I played those irons pretty well, now I will say that I don't think either of those irons were outside of my game, tee game and some aspects of short game can be the bane of my handicap. Every person will be different it's too hard to say not knowing what part of a persons game is the cause of their handicap I've seen good ball strikers struggle with other parts of the game and bad ball strikers be downright tight around the green chipping and putting.

I'm a believer in hitting it, do you like it? Yes. Okay play it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What would you say is the highest handicap range in which a golfer should/could play the Callaway Apex CF 16 irons? Realistically would a higher handicap player suffer significantly from playing them vs a game improvement set? .

Great question! As HH, I struggle with this same thought. Glad you asked it.

Go get fit and compare them to your gamers. Handicap is a poor measurement of ones ability to play certain irons. What is someone is an 18 Handicap, but strikes his irons like a 7 or an 8, but cannot get off the tee or putt?

What if, conversely, someone is a 7 or an 8 because they stripe it off the tee, and have a great short game, but their iron play isn't very good?

You see the issue here? I have never been a fan of putting a "range" of handicaps on clubs. I find the CF16s to be some of the most forgiving irons I have ever hit FWIW, but I cannot recommend a handicap range for them.

I agree with all the comments above. You can't go wrong with these clubs but I would get fit for the best shaft for your swing.

As others have said. I would say this would be a fine set for ANY handicap level.

Thanks for all the responses. The reason I asked is because I've been thinking about possibly moving to these irons and I'd also like to possibly go graphite for the first time ever. Obviously it would be a large investment so I thought I'd solicit opinions from those who have played them. I agree handicap isn't the only indicator of what you should play. In my circumstance my issues are more off the tee and short game. I'm generally decent with irons; though I'm not especially long. I'd say I'm average at best. So I guess what I'm trying to figure out is...is average good enough for Apex? Saying "get fit" is certainly good in practice but it's just simply not a reality for a lot of people who aren't near big club fitters. I'd love to be able to to hit all sorts of clubs with different shaft combos but it's just not possible. Making semi-informed gambles is about the best some can do! Thanks again for all the responses. Appreciate it THP'ers.

Thanks for all the responses. The reason I asked is because I've been thinking about possibly moving to these irons and I'd also like to possibly go graphite for the first time ever. Obviously it would be a large investment so I thought I'd solicit opinions from those who have played them. I agree handicap isn't the only indicator of what you should play. In my circumstance my issues are more off the tee and short game. I'm generally decent with irons; though I'm not especially long. I'd say I'm average at best. So I guess what I'm trying to figure out is...is average good enough for Apex? Saying "get fit" is certainly good in practice but it's just simply not a reality for a lot of people who aren't near big club fitters. I'd love to be able to to hit all sorts of clubs with different shaft combos but it's just not possible. Making semi-informed gambles is about the best some can do! Thanks again for all the responses. Appreciate it THP'ers.
If you are an average iron ball striker these clubs shouldn't be out of your league.
I demo'd them with Recoil (graphite) shafts...man that combo felt great to me.

If you can hit the XR's I think you would be able to hit these. Especially with the recoils, that is one smooth combo.

I don't think they are for everyone, but hdcp shouldn't be the judging factor.

Mentally I had a little trouble with the shorter heel to toe length when I switched to the CF16s from the D200s. I eventually got past that, but if you struggle with ball striking laterally, I'd recommend a wider iron for the comfort level it would probably give you.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think handicap matters for club selection. If they feel good, look good to your eyes, and give you results you want ... take them to the bank.

I agree 100%!

They are for 10.3 caps and under.

I'm carrying a 11.6 at the moment and love my set...

Dax

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back