Getting your swing back after the winter

Trevor68

Reaction score
Handicap
Every time the winter is coming to an end, I notice the same thing: my swing is nowhere to be found. Yesterday, i took a few swings in Golf Galaxy after an 8 week layoff and it was pretty ugly...
Even during mid season, I tend to have a slight over the top move, but that fault becomes magnified right after the winter. Yesterday, I was pulling everything. It is as if my brain believes that turning my shoulder fast will generate speed, but all it does is pull shots.
Does anyone face the same issue after a prolonged layoff? How do you get your swing back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I used to have the same issues but I stopped not swinging a club for extended periods of time. I work on my swing all winter long, along with strength, flexibility, chipping and putting. Our season is typically too short to spend the first 6 six weeks just trying to get back in golf shape, IMHO!

I do what I can to keep my swing as fresh as possible. I take two lessons a month and play on a simulator at least one time a month.

I swing as much as I can in the Garage using my Mat and Net, also Sim golf is a fun way to get some swings in.

I'm not a huge Leadbetter fan but I occasionally catch his morning show on the PGA Tour XM channel in my car. He advocates 100 full speed swings each day to increase the speed of your swing. I've been doing it with a weighted club in my man cave on those days and or weeks that I don't play golf and I can honestly say it helps keeps the flexibility and tone in my golf muscles.

Yup, been following the 100 swing thang-2 or 3 times a week along with some yoga

Swing is feeling good at the indoor range and didn't **** the bed at a warm weather golf trip a couple weeks back.

Confident it transfers to grass once they start to open-getting excited

It's funny, in the past I would do zero work on my golf game during the winter and my first few rounds would be in the 70's. I always started the season swinging nice and easy and not try and do too much and played fantastic. I think the break also helped me forget any bad habits I got in to toward the end of the season. I'm curious to see how I start out this year having practiced way more over winter.

Getting your swing back? :banana:

I used to have this problem. Last year was first year it was actually close to what I had during the season. I try to get in swings around the house when possible and do drills in the house to try and maintain it as much as possible

When my swing is good, I make a short list of my swing thoughts and keep it in my phone. After a layoff I review it when I get to the range.

Last edited:
Mine normally comes back in just a few rounds. The only thing I do over the winter is putt inside at home.

Even though I use a kid's club inside to practice the swing, the swing is still not there once at the range. I video, then schedule a lesson. A good refresher lesson with video prevents bad habits from leaking into your season.

I'm usually the same. I remember posting here last spring, after hitting in the sim over the winter my first range session on grass was a disaster. This winter I'm making a point to hit the sim & heated range a lot more, and swing more inside rather than stay away from my clubs. We'll see this weekend if that actually pays off.

I have a mat and net in my garage. I also get to play year round now that I live in the south so it solves the issue.

I try to not have a long layoff. I take lessons once a week and try to hit the sim a couple times a month. Also, if we get lucky sometimes you can get an outdoor round in every once in a while.

Luckily I'm short enough where even with my lowish ceiling in the basement, I can still swing up to a 5 iron with out worrying about hitting the ceiling. So, there's not many days that I don't take about least a dozen swings or more.

Outside of that, my boss has a building he owns that's sort of like his own sports zone if you will. His daughter is BIG into a lot of sports, so he has a net and turf set up for indoor hitting and I go there when he lets me. I think I'm going to start hitting about two or three times a week starting next month. I've got a BIG time #THPCallout that I want to do in April at a specific location that I'm hoping I can get set up. That's my own teaser.

I'm in a sim 3-4 times a week during the off season plus I'll do 1 golf vacation to get some rounds in. When my home course opens I'm pretty close to game ready.

Back