Ever learn something contradictory?

russtopher

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Band
While I was at the range today, a pro was giving an older teen a lesson a few bays away. The teen had a very exaggerated reverse pivot, and the pro wanted him to keep getting into that position. I will be very up front and say that I don't know what they were working on directly - maybe he tended to sway too much in the backswing and the pro had him exaggerating his body going forward in order to feel like he wasn't swaying back? But it made me think about learning things we thought were contradictory but in fact, they end up helping us.

Were you ever taught something that you initially felt was contradictory to "traditional" golf learning, but ended up helping your game?

The student is probably learning Stack & Tilt. But I hate to say it but sometimes a method is simply taught improperly. The swing is based on MORAD (Mac O'Grady), The Golfing Machine, and Mike Bender. They took very good information and they went extreme with it. I bet the posture of the kid at your range looked similar to this video. This is on the official Stack & Tilt Youtube page. This is being taught very poorly. It should not look like this. Reverse pivots are bad.

This position is very bad. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. This "C" at the end of the swing just hurts my back looking at it.

This is the way the Stack & Tilt swing is supposed to look (Mike Bennett):

Unfortunately it's instructors like those in the first video who have given S&T a bad name. Run don't walk away from that pro at your range. Quality professional instruction is very difficult to find. Ask around some of the better players who is a good teaching pro before you take lessons from anyone. If you find someone good, consider yourself lucky.

I've been through three golf instructors. I've been with my current instructor for a year.

I use a few.

"Hit down to send the ball up", especially in hybrids, irons and wedges.

"Putt in a straight line" - of course I don't putt in a straight line, but that's a cue to flatten my putting arc.

And this one may only work for me - "Bring the hands up and left" on the backswing, it's my shoulder turn that sends the hands around.

The student is probably learning Stack & Tilt.

I can't 100% say it wasn't S&T, but I highly highly doubt that's what it was that was being taught, based on my knowledge of this instructor. He's been around 40 years, teaches a more traditional style of swing from what I heard. I've seen him working with other students and never have I seen this before at this range.

My post wasn't to cast aspersions at what was happening, just that what I was watching in between shots seemed to be very contradictory to what you'd expect to see someone do in the backswing, and again maybe it was just because the student needed to feel less of a weight shift on the backswing. Just curious if others had been told to do something that they thought "no, that's not what you're supposed to do" but it ended up working for them.

The student is probably learning Stack & Tilt. But I hate to say it but sometimes a method is simply taught improperly. The swing is based on MORAD (Mac O'Grady), The Golfing Machine, and Mike Bender. They took very good information and they went extreme with it. I bet the posture of the kid at your range looked similar to this video. This is on the official Stack & Tilt Youtube page. This is being taught very poorly. It should not look like this. Reverse pivots are bad.

This position is very bad. Every action has an equal and opposite reaction. This "C" at the end of the swing just hurts my back looking at it.

This is the way the Stack & Tilt swing is supposed to look (Mike Bennett):

Unfortunately it's instructors like those in the first video who have given S&T a bad name. Run don't walk away from that pro at your range. Quality professional instruction is very difficult to find. Ask around some of the better players who is a good teaching pro before you take lessons from anyone. If you find someone good, consider yourself lucky.

I've been through three golf instructors. I've been with my current instructor for a year.

very well said. that first video is NOT stack and tilt, and if they're certified instructors I hope mike and andy get them straightened out before they do any more damage to people's games or worse their bodies!

I could watch mike make that swing all day. beautiful, and so controlled. I spent about 18 months with stack and tilt, but I've since moved off it to a more traditional swing. I could still benefit from some of its teachings, but the trouble with the longer clubs was more than I could overcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back