Lost ball out of bounds rule

dthogey

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm curious as to how and proceed under this rule. Do you drop in the Fairway equidistant from where are your ball comes to rest in the out of bounds, or do you play it from where it crosses the out-of-bounds line? For example if I block a t shot and it goes out of bounds 50 yards from the tee but ends up flying 250 yards. Am I able to go up to the spot where my ball is 250 yards away and drop it in the Fairway with a two-stroke penalty?

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

You have to check with the course to see if the "local rule" allows players to take advantage of the new rule. If so, you can drop it in the fairway at the point where the distance to the hole is no less than the distance to the hole where the ball came to rest out of bounds. And yes, you would tack on 2 strokes so be hitting 4 (assuming it was a drive) from that point. It is basically the same as penatly as hitting a 2nd ball from the tee. It does certainly have the advantage of not having to worry about repeating your first OB shot and really skyrocketing your score on the hole.

Okay thank you, that's what I thought. A couple of the videos I watched indicated that you had to use the point at which the ball crossed the hazard line. That could significantly change the distance

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

It is where the ball crossed the OB not where it ended up in the OB.

Okay therein lies the confusion. Is it where the ball comes to rest or where the ball crossed the boundary line? This could be hundreds of yards different.

Both are right, but different penalties, I believe.

If you take where you crossed into the hazard, it is a one stroke penalty. (old rule, which continues)

If you take where the ball lies in the penalty area, it is a two stroke penalty. (new rule)

I don't think so. If it's out of bounds there was never an option to take relief with one stroke from where it crossed the boundary line. You had to rehit from tee

When hit out of bounds, it is where the ball crossed.

"This option allows the player to drop in a large area between the point where the ball is estimated to have come to rest or gone out of bounds and the edge of the fairway of the hole being played that is not nearer the hole."

https://www.usga.org/content/usga/h...nges/golfs-new-rules-stroke-and-distance.html
If you watch that video it appears to imply you can use the point of where the ball is estimated to be (not where it crossed the out of bounds line). I think that's what's causing so much confusion.
http://www.usga.org/content/usga/ho...nges/golfs-new-rules-stroke-and-distance.html

Okay. I think that clears it up for me. It's where the ball goes out of bounds not where it ends up. Thank you.

That is the video that I watched that confused me so much. If you look at the diagram below the video it seems to be different. For a lost ball you have to estimate where the ball came to rest. For one that goes out of bounds you have to use the point where it crossed the boundary line

If you take where you crossed into the hazard, it is a one stroke penalty. (old rule, which continues)

If you take where the ball lies in the penalty area, it is a two stroke penalty. (new rule)

That is not even remotely close. You have never been able to just drop w where it crossed for only one stroke penalty for out of bounds.

New rule is as follows:

Find where the ball went out or estimated where it is lost, find the nearest edge of fairway no closer to the hole, drop within two club Lengthsof that point for two strokes.

c68856982914053735b23fc0f9eb359d.jpg

So yes where the ball crossed is your reference point. Not where it landed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haha sorry I was late. I read that post a bit ago and was working on getting information together but I had to pause while driving ha ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. The old rule is go back to the tee and play your third from there.

Okay thank you, that's what I thought. A couple of the videos I watched indicated that you had to use the point at which the ball crossed the hazard line. That could significantly change the distance

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Since I can't play I haven't fully figured these new rules out. So my thinking is, based on the above scenario, and you saying that I have to use the point (50 yards up) that the ball went OB, wouldn't it be better to just re-tee? Even hitting PW as your 3rd from the tee would put you in a much better spot than hitting 4 from 50 yards in front of the tee.

So on a clear OB hit, can you still hit 3 from the tee? This isn't a lost ball situation where you're already up there, the ball is gone and you know it. Can you retee still?

Since I can't play I haven't fully figured these new rules out. So my thinking is, based on the above scenario, and you saying that I have to use the point (50 yards up) that the ball went OB, wouldn't it be better to just re-tee? Even hitting PW as your 3rd from the tee would put you in a much better spot than hitting 4 from 50 yards in front of the tee.

So on a clear OB hit, can you still hit 3 from the tee? This isn't a lost ball situation where you're already up there, the ball is gone and you know it. Can you retee still?

"Reteeing" and, or, playing a ball from its original position is always an option. This is true for an OB situation, lost ball situation, hazard, unplayable lie, or even a putt.

Nope. The old rule is go back to the tee and play your third from there.

Not to be argumentative where I'm clearly looking for answers on the new rules ^^, but crossing into a hazard and tee ball OB are two different things entirely (by the old rules). New rules, I'm just trying to get a grasp.

"Reteeing" and, or, playing a ball from its original position is always an option. This is true for an OB situation, lost ball situation, hazard, unplayable lie, or even a putt.

This was my first thought as well, but if the course adopted the local rule to play the out of bounds as a drop, wouldn't you have to play by the course's local rule?

Gotcha. Thanks. I figured it was, but I've also "figured" my way into additional penalties in the past.

This was my first thought as well, but if the course adopted the local rule to play the out of bounds as a drop, wouldn't you have to play by the course's local rule?

Tournaments should have a statement about Rules, including reference to the USGA Rules of Golf as well as any "local Rules" to be observed during tournament play.
For establishing and, or, maintaining a handicap I think most regional golf associations allow/expect observance of both USGA Rules as well as local course Rules.
For non tournament play and, or, players choosing not to post scores for handicap purposes, I guess it is up to the customer (player) to decide the Rules he/she wants to observe.

And now I'm back to figuring, lol. They should let me write the rules to golf. It'd be dumbed down to the point where there'd be no question as to what to do.

Rules officials would be SOL. If only I was the king of golf for a day....

The difference would be if it were a narrow Fairway with out a bounds down the right-hand side and I hit a hard shot with a wicked slice that sailed down the right rough and sliced out of bounds 230 yards out I could just take a two-stroke penalty and place the ball in the Fairway 230 yards out versus reteeing and taking the chance of hitting a shot out of bounds again. So for me the decision will definitely be where the ball cross the out of bounds. If it's only 50 yards out or so I will probably re-tee.

Not to be argumentative where I'm clearly looking for answers on the new rules ^^, but crossing into a hazard and tee ball OB are two different things entirely (by the old rules). New rules, I'm just trying to get a grasp.
I understand your question. I was responding directly to the other poster who posted an incorrect statement regarding the rules.

Aaaaaand I'm more confused than when I opened this thread.

Back