IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I never really thought about this in quite this detail, but some interesting thoughts to keep in mind when trying on shoes. Source: FJ.
70% of golfers where the wrong size golf shoe
MENS SHOES

ARE YOU WEARING THE RIGHT SIZE?

Size Matters. Testing has shown a 6 - 21% increase in performance for people wearing properly fit golf shoes. Simple enough, right? Well, did you know more than 70% of people are wearing the wrong size?

How do you know if you're right?

ROT_Correct.jpg

Rule of Thumb
The opening at the top of your shoes should be about a thumbs width apart. Other factors, like arch height can affect this, but it is a good place to start.
LongestToe.jpg

Longest Toe
Leave about ½” of space between your longest toe and the end of your shoe.
FelxPoint.jpg

Flex Point
When flexed, the break of the shoe should fall perfectly with the flex of your forefoot.
Listen.jpg

Listen
If the shoe's volume fits your foot, then you may hear a whoosh sound when you insert your foot.
TestDrive.jpg
Test Drive
There should be no excess movement in the shoe when you walk.
SwingTest.jpg
Swing Test
Simulate your golf swing and make sure nothing feels too loose or too tight.

Great post. Like all things golf properly fit equipment, including shoes is huge for performance.

how are 70% of people not wearing the right shoe size? That's such a strange stat and I don't see how it's any different than buying shoes in general. Pretty sure putting them on should tell you if they fit or not. I think some people might just like certain styles that don't come wide enough for them or something, but I highly doubt nearly 3 out of 4 people are unknowingly wearing the wrong size.

Do golf shoes sizes not run the same as regular shoes? I know some golf shoes are cut different from brand to brand but that was all. I wear a 9.5 M (I think?) but if I buy a Nike shoe that size and walk, I am sure to get a blister!!! Every other brand, 9.5 M, with no known problems!!

I have Ecco golf shoes. I wear size 44 (10-10.5) and they seem to fit right. I don't think the shoes are the problem of my game, it's the space between the ears that's the problem for me.

I am one of the 70% and I know that. I should wear a 13.5 W, and they simply don't exist

how are 70% of people not wearing the right shoe size? That's such a strange stat and I don't see how it's any different than buying shoes in general. Pretty sure putting them on should tell you if they fit or not. I think some people might just like certain styles that don't come wide enough for them or something, but I highly doubt nearly 3 out of 4 people are unknowingly wearing the wrong size.
I thought the same thing when I saw it, does that mean that out of my 4 pairs of shoes I own, 3 could be the wrong size!!! I'm joking tongue/cheek of course, but just sounds crazy that 3 out of a foursome would be wearing the wrong size.

Many people buy golf shoes, or any shoes, on line without ever trying them on until they receive them just because they have to be the first to own a new release. Bragging rights can be a painful and expensive experiment.

70% of people must be coming from island tribes and have never worn shoes before lol

Its a marketing message based on their numerical values for fitting.
Basically, they could say "any number here" because nobody uses the same measurements.

Oh crap, I need to go buy a pair of footjoys right now. I need the right size shoe.

From now on, I'm buying my shoes from you Icey !!

60% of the time it works every time.

70% are wearing the wrong shoe??

I wish I could find a shoe that fits my size 14 4E feet without paying over $200 for My Joys. Seems like companies are making their shoes smaller. FootJoy makes an X-Wide up to size 13. Special order for anything above a 13. Wow!!

New Balance and True Linswear have narrowed there shoes too...

Am I wearing the right size? No, can't find any....

I wish I could even find a dang shoe that fit and looked good these days. I'm ready to just play in running shoes and say screw it.

I wish I could even find a dang shoe that fit and looked good these days. I'm ready to just play in running shoes and say screw it.

Preferences are personal, but I bought these because I can get away with them when I golf for business and just about anyplace else if I don't wear shorts. I've only worn them in my sim league, but they are extremely comfortable and supportive thus far.

These were a gift, and the buyer ordered two pairs in two sizes because of what I normally wear and what the Amazon fit analyzer recommended. The analyzer was right. Even if you're trying them on in person, the fit tool is worth a look, IMHO.

When I try on shoes (any not just golf) I just go by feel.
There has never been a time when my size changed or another size "felt" better.
My size has remained the same for over 50 years.

Back