Wedge selection help

Big Bertha 2016

Reaction score
Handicap
Hello everyone this is my first post on this great site. I'm getting back into golf this year and I will be buying all new clubs. I am getting the Callaway Big Bertha 3-4 hybrids and 5-pw in stiff steel shafts set. I believe the pitching wedge is 44 degrees. I'm looking to buy three additional wedges to fill the gaps from my pitching wedge. I need some help on which three degrees should I get that would make sense. I'm looking at the Cleveland 588 rtx 2.0 and the Callaway md3 and Mack Daddy's. I'm probably a mid to low 90's shooter right now only playing 5-10 times a year, but I plan on practing and playing a lot this year. The other question I had is what grind to get. Ty

Welcome aboard.
Myself I have a 4° separation between wedges. And I love the RTX wedges.
Good luck
Tazz

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy s5

Welcome to THP! I like my full swing wedges to match my irons and then I go with other wedges to fill the distance gaps for normally less than full swings. I like no more than 3 to 4 degrees between all clubs including wedges.

I have Big Bertha 3h-7h and 8 iron-SW. Love the clubs

It looks like the 50, 54, 58 is a popular combination from some of the other post I've read. I'm glad to hear that you love the Big Bertha iron and hybrid set that you bought. I really wanted to get the new Callaway XR OS iron and hybrid set which is even cheaper then the set I'm buying. After hitting them both on three different occasions the hands down winner for me was the Big Berthas.

Welcome to the forum! Does the Big Bertha offer a set GW/AW? if it does, it might help the gapping better and then you would only need 2 add'l wedges that fit for you. You can't go wrong with the Cleveland's or the MD3s though.

PW 44, AW 49, SW 54. They can get me the AW for an extra $100. They couldn't find the SW at any of there other stores because these clubs are now discontinued. The XR OS are replacing them. I'm sure I could find one somewhere if I tried.
Cleveland actually has a special on there wedges right now. If you buy three they take $90 off. So are you suggesting maybe buy the AW 49 then maybe go with a 54, 58 Cleveland?

Welcome to THP! Like others have said 3-5 degrees is the gapping that works best for me. The Callaway MD 3, Shamrock wedges are next on my list.

You might bend the 44 to 45, and then go 50-54-58.

With the amount you play, I think the 58 is more useful and easier than a 60 around the greens. I believe the S Grind is Callaway's most versatile grind, so if available I'd use that in 50-54. Of course, if you don't open the 54 up and want an easier bunker wedge for more help -- try the W Grind; and then the C Grind in 58 - the C Grind gives you relief in heel and toe and allows you to open up the face without raising the front edge. So as you learn more versatile shots - flops, opening up, laying the shaft downwards, laying it back, the C will help. The MacDaddy PM grind is versatile, too, like the C Grind, and is for an aggressive player. Just don't know if you would benefit from it yet - depends on your skill level, and it is not an attractive looking wedge. I do like the shape of the MD3 -- the slightly rounded shape and leading edge allows you to nip -- get under -- the ball easier.

Roger Cleveland makes a nice wedge. Good luck.

Last edited:
and it is not an attractive looking wedge. I do like the shape of the MD3 -- the slightly rounded shape and leading edge allows you to nip -- get under -- the ball easier.

Roger Cleveland makes a nice wedge. Good luck.

I just got a PM grind wedge and I'm really struggling with the looks of it. The MD3 on the other hand is a great looking wedge.

I just got a PM grind wedge and I'm really struggling with the looks of it. The MD3 on the other hand is a great looking wedge.
I was not a fan of the PM grinds looks but honestly after getting the Matte Black one I really don't notice it as much anymore! The MD3 is a fantastic wedge as well!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Four degrees is typical loft gapping. As far as bounce and grind go, that is something you have decide on your own.

Welcome to THP!

I'd be looking at callaway preowned site for an AW then get 56*/60* wedges

Hello everyone this is my first post on this great site. I'm getting back into golf this year and I will be buying all new clubs. I am getting the Callaway Big Bertha 3-4 hybrids and 5-pw in stiff steel shafts set. I believe the pitching wedge is 44 degrees. I'm looking to buy three additional wedges to fill the gaps from my pitching wedge. I need some help on which three degrees should I get that would make sense. I'm looking at the Cleveland 588 rtx 2.0 and the Callaway md3 and Mack Daddy's. I'm probably a mid to low 90's shooter right now only playing 5-10 times a year, but I plan on practing and playing a lot this year. The other question I had is what grind to get. Ty

I love my MD3s. As for grind, that depends on the type of conditions you play on as well as the type of shots you make with them. You can go on the Callaway website to see what they recommend for that.

Back