Tech Talk: Odyssey Stroke Lab Putters

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a deep dive tech talk for those that really enjoy learning about creation.

One of the biggest new releases in 2019 is the Odyssey Stroke Lab Putter Series. It looks different, has a ton of new tech and we wanted to get all of the details.

What better way than have our R&D Expert, chat with Putter Guru Austie Rollinson about all of the changes, why they took place, what they mean and how it all impacts you, the golfer in this episode of Tech Talk.

Great video and really good explanation of how these came to be! I maintain that these are the best putters I’ve ever hit. Hands down. What they did here is really really cool.

That was a really great breakdown of the Stroke Lab tech. I didn't realize how much they had to put in to changing the face when trying to improve the sound/feel. They definitely put out a product they should be proud of.

Great video and really good explanation of how these came to be! I maintain that these are the best putters I’ve ever hit. Hands down. What they did here is really really cool.
That was a really great breakdown of the Stroke Lab tech. I didn't realize how much they had to put in to changing the face when trying to improve the sound/feel. They definitely put out a product they should be proud of.
I agree with you both! Seeing these for the first time back in December and listening to the great minds talk about them and still continuing to learn about them is really cool! I love my DoubleWide and cant wait to role my Vegas when it comes in March with the Strokelab tech in it as well!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Holy cow what a tech filled video, I feel like I say this all the time, but I feel smarter after watching, such a great technical explanation of all the amazing stuff odyssey packed into this new line.

I caught a glimpse of the stroke lab profile late in 2018 and didn't put a ton of thought into what it would take to combine steel and graphite.... Nor did I really think about what it would take to lighten a shaft and maintain a steel profile. Wider for lighter and stiffer would absolutely suck. What I wondered about, was what made them go to the traditional color palette for each (silver steel, black graphite). I often feel surprised that they didn't go one color profile, but it would tell the story a lot worse.

Also, weight of a head... Talking a lot about weight of a head as the years pass, but I wonder how much green speed has an impact on what works, as courses improve their manicuring techniques, and the difference between what works on lightning fast tour greens, and what fits amateur golfers on a low to mid tier green.

• Admin
I caught a glimpse of the stroke lab profile late in 2018 and didn't put a ton of thought into what it would take to combine steel and graphite.... Nor did I really think about what it would take to lighten a shaft and maintain a steel profile. Wider for lighter and stiffer would absolutely suck. What I wondered about, was what made them go to the traditional color palette for each (silver steel, black graphite). I often feel surprised that they didn't go one color profile, but it would tell the story a lot worse.

Also, weight of a head... Talking a lot about weight of a head as the years pass, but I wonder how much green speed has an impact on what works, as courses improve their manicuring techniques, and the difference between what works on lightning fast tour greens, and what fits amateur golfers on a low to mid tier green.

I believe it was Austie that mentioned head weight got heavier in part because greens got so much faster.

I stopped halfway through to go to the Odyssey site to read a bit more on the shaft and I am glad they did. Marketing with this in it was AWESOME.

560008cde5e3eba8cf5aba46afae3ff5.png

I believe it was Austie that mentioned head weight got heavier in part because greens got so much faster.

that was the correlation I was trying to make. Justifying it because we're seeing such an increase in speed across the board.

Makes me super comfortable continuing on my 350/360 blade weighting with slightly heavier mallet options.

That always seemed so backward to me. Then again I'm not exactly a whizz at putting :bulgy-eyes:.

At about 5 minutes into the video they start talking about the insert... A natural progression for Odyssey as it's their bread and butter.

Talking microhinge progression and the feedback on soft feel. Then the endless love affair with white hot. Now we're in the same family but a different feedback audibly. Which I think is HUGE because the muted soft feel of Microhinge, at least for my taste, was a bit too much. AWESOME call.

At about 5 minutes into the video they start talking about the insert... A natural progression for Odyssey as it's their bread and butter.

Talking microhinge progression and the feedback on soft feel. Then the endless love affair with white hot. Now we're in the same family but a different feedback audibly. Which I think is HUGE because the muted soft feel of Microhinge, at least for my taste, was a bit too much. AWESOME call.

I completely agree with your thoughts on the original Microhinge. I know many really like it but the new WHM really takes me back to the White Hot insert which is still one of my favorite feeling putter's I've ever gamed. Now you add some technology for better forward roll and it's almost perfection.

Hardly even started, and already need to comment.

Vrska and Austie = Guaranteed content I have to hear.

True story. We shot a good video with Sean Toulon on the line, and it will be coming soon as well. Austie came over to me and we were chatting about the upcoming THP Event with Odyssey (which is going to be insane). He said you want to dive deep into tech? Michael Vrska said "yes we do" and off it went. With these two chatting, it is literally press record and walk away because you almost don't want to hear it until you can watch it on video when its all done.

I could listen to Austie talk putters all day. Dude is a wealth of knowledge.

I could listen to Austie talk putters all day. Dude is a wealth of knowledge.

I feel the same way. It doesn't hurt that he is such a nice guy and always willing to help.

Such a great video. Love all the amazing info. Looking forward to getting the 1 in my bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel the same way. It doesn't hurt that he is such a nice guy and always willing to help.

My first thought was he's such a nice and smart guy!

Awesome video by the way. I love the story here and really enjoyed hearing about it during the Grandaddy.

This was awesome - I've listened twice so far and I need to go back in again. I might have a new putter very soon.

This was awesome - I've listened twice so far and I need to go back in again. I might have a new putter very soon.

It was interesting to hear Michael Vrska so “hot” on the tech here.

That was my favorite thing about the Odyssey Experience last year. Listening to Austie, Sean, and Luke impart their knowledge about putters.

Great video! Really intrigued by the tech in these putters. Was definitely happy to hear that the insert has a firmer feel to it. The softness of a lot of inserts I have tried in the past is what has kept me away from non-metallic insert putters.

I had the pleasure of talking with Austie a few weeks back and was very intrigued by his explanation. I’m always amazed at how they can keep on improving.

Great video! Really intrigued by the tech in these putters. Was definitely happy to hear that the insert has a firmer feel to it. The softness of a lot of inserts I have tried in the past is what has kept me away from non-metallic insert putters.

It definitely has a touch firmer sound to it.

Great video, cool insight on the history and I must say Michael is just getting so much in the groove in front of the camera, he is turning int a natural. Great job Michael!

Back