How long do you practice??

RNG

Reaction score
Handicap
Is it based on time? Number of balls? Results? Physical fatigue? Combination of things?

How is your practice time determined?

For me, unfortunately, it turns out to be physical fatigue and time.

If I'm not pushed for time, I would say around an hour and a half. I usually hit a bucket of balls first, then hit the putting and chipping greens.

Evidently not long enough! :alien:

Somewhere around 2 hours, if I don't have time commitments. Pitching/sand first, then small bucket on the range, then chipping putting.

45 min to an hour. I go often (4 to 5x a week) and really just looking to keep that feeling I had the previous day.

with no time constraints, usually 2-2.5 hours. that includes full swing irons, full swing woods, chipping/pitching, and putting.

almost daily i've been going on my lunch break to the range by my office to practice chipping/pitching or putting, and that's capped at 30 minutes which is a good amount of time to feel productive.

Physical fatigue usually comes well after I'm mentally fatigued.

When I stop focusing on the little details in the set up and swing, that's when I know it's time to stop, or at least move on to something else (i.e. putting). When I stop focusing on those things is when I start to develop bad habits.

I rarely practice. Just lucky to have time to play.

I usually hit around 50 balls. Anymore than that and I start to tinker and do more bad than good. Chipping and putting 60 or more minutes

If things are going well with full swing maybe an hour. If things are not going well with full swing.. 15 minutes... Rest of the time pitch/chip/putt.. Some days the full swing is just not there & I have had better luck not messing with it.

I am as well limited by physical fatigue. Accordingly, how I practice is more important than the length of time I practice. I must go to the range with a plan, a plan developed with the help of my instructor. Currently, my instructor and I are concentrating on my short game. I currently try to limit the number of balls I hit with my irons, hybrids, fairway medals and driver. I do this to assure that nothing bad has occurred, just to stay in form, so to speak. Then its on to the four wedges I carry to improve my short game and my ability to get up and down. I make sure that I can spend the adequate time in the practice sand bunker. When the fatigue starts to set in, I go to the putting green, because that's less physical but extremely important to my game.

Time is limited, so I try to make the best use of it. Usually no more than 45 minutes though per session. Try to fit in three or so a week.

Since time is limited, I almost always try to devote myself to that particular element, be it range, short game, or putting.

Last edited:
Usually around 1 to 1.5 hours for me depending what I'm working on.

Time is usually the culprit from keeping me practicing more. But right now it's when I can, no matter how long or short of a time frame.

Now how long would I LIKE to practice ... about 1 hour 30 min to 2 hours at a time.

Usually 1 large bucket and sometimes another bucket or medium bucket. Depends on what I'm working on and what time of day I get to the range. This is anywhere from 1-2 hours.

If I go to the course with practice green it will be 45-60 mins on the range and another hour on the green

Usually a couple hours when time permits but I have been known to arrive at daylight and leave when the lights go on.

There is no set time for me. When I practice I keep going until I need to stop for a prior commitment or until I start to feel fatigue/lose a consistent swing.

I hit a large bucket and I'm done. It takes me about 1.5 hours to get through the bucket or 60 or so balls.

Practice? We talking about practice? We sitting here and talking about practice. Not a real game, but practice. I know it's important, but man we talking about practice. We talking about practice man.

Seriously though I never practice. I play the 2 rounds per week I'm allowed and that's it. I'm surprised my handicap hasn't increased or changed over the past couple years.

Is it based on time? Number of balls? Results? Physical fatigue? Combination of things?

How is your practice time determined?

For me, unfortunately, it turns out to be physical fatigue and time.

It depends for me. If I have three or four hours to practice, then I use up all that time getting my swing tuned in (I go VJ Sigh at the range in Laurel). I rotate my practice starting with the short irons, working my way back through the set, then Hybrids, FWW then driver. I usually do some visualization drills the last hour playing a course in my head - using the markers in in range as fairways. This will end up being about 3 or 4 large bucket of balls so by this time I'm getting a little tired. If I only have an hour, then I practice putting at Eisenhower since that is the closest course that has a decent putting surface (although I keep forgetting about Walden Golf course which is much closer to me) or I hit balls at NightHawk GC.

It varies for me. If I'm in lessons, I'll be working on whatever I was given in the last lesson. In that case, I'll hit until I feel I'm consistently getting the results that we were trying for. If I'm not there after an hour or so, I'll usually quit and try again later. When not taking lessons, I usually go to the range to work on something that's not quite right. It could be as simple as tempo, or a problem with a particular club. A lot of times, I'll dust off a drill that I was given perhaps a year or so ago that addresses the issue. Beats going back and paying for the same lesson. In regards to time spent, I get tired and bored after about an hour or so and it can become counter productive. In that case, I just move on to the putting/chipping area.

If time is not constrained, I practice as long as I feel up to it. Sometimes 1, sometimes 3 hours or more, depending how long I feel like putting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not long enough. I can hit about 100 balls off a mat.

Typically around two hours. I find as I fatigue I become less productive.

I hit a large bucket and I'm done. It takes me about 1.5 hours to get through the bucket or 60 or so balls.

I am the same way. If I take my time set up to each shot it will take 1.5 hours. I figure 60 shots.

I'll hit a large bucket, and then just work around the practice green until I'm tired.

Back