The Anchoring Ban

But we do, the groove rule.........
Which is phasing out old grooves, and which already applies to USGA amateur championships.

Perhaps they should have phased out the anchored putter in a similar way.

But we do, the groove rule.........

Of which I doubt that even 25% of amateurs use the old grooves any more. Of those players who don't change their wedges at least every 5 years, most probably wouldn't know the difference anyway. I'd guess that at least 90% of amateurs have never actually seen any difference in their play when changing from the old grooves to the new, so the fact that they are still allowed under certain conditions is pretty much irrelevant. The more time that passes, the fewer of the old wedges will still be in use.

Of which I doubt that even 25% of amateurs use the old grooves any more. Of those players who don't change their wedges at least every 5 years, most probably wouldn't know the difference anyway. I'd guess that at least 90% of amateurs have never actually seen any difference in their play when changing from the old grooves to the new, so the fact that they are still allowed under certain conditions is pretty much irrelevant. The more time that passes, the fewer of the old wedges will still be in use.

And the club manufacturers have countered the groove rule with (drum roll) larger conforming grooves on the wedges. 2024 for the old wedges.... I'll be 72 and probably playing bump and run by then.

And the club manufacturers have countered the groove rule with (drum roll) larger conforming grooves on the wedges. 2024 for the old wedges.... I'll be 72 and probably playing bump and run by then.

You do know that they can't really go larger because all dimensions, including the cross section area, are limited by the rule. See this link for the limits and dimensions allowed: Appendix III 5c

Put it this way, they went as large as they could go, but unless you have over a certain swing speed with your wedges you're not going to be able to take advantage of the groove shape anyway.

That has always been true - the USGA testing before instituting the change demonstrated that only the very highest level of amateurs would even be effected. This is why they were willing to put the long break in period into the rule, because they knew that those amateurs who immediately started buying up and hoarding the old wedges would never really see any advantage from doing so. That didn't stop a lot of them from crying about it anyway.

Put it this way, they went as large as they could go, but unless you have over a certain swing speed with your wedges you're not going to be able to take advantage of the groove shape anyway.

This is not really accurate based on doppler testing.
Larger grooves channel away more debris regardless of swing speed.
This is shown quite a bit with short strokes around the green.

I miss my Scotty Kombi belly putter. Sold it on ebay after the ban went in to effect.

Should have reshafted and kept it, enjoyed the head shape.

Who has a belly putter still in their collection?

I still hate this rule and imaging.

1608652699498.png

Who has a belly putter still in their collection?

I still have... and use... my 40" Odyssey Tank Versa 2-Ball. I'm right handed. You see you can anchor the forearms without an anchoring point. This way, the left hand can be in the "normal" grip position, but cannot be with the thumb over the top - that in combination with the forearm anchoring according to the drawing creates an anchor point. If the left hand is in a "normal" grip position it doesn't create an anchoring point - according to the drawing which represents the rules. And since the single grip on the club is long I use a split grip as shown in the claw grip picture, but it's not a claw grip. It's a regular grip with my right hand near the bottom of the grip and my index finger is flat against the shaft of the club. This has eliminated the yips. The only thing I have to make sure is that I don't bend such that the butt end of the club touches my body. If I do that, the grip is perfectly legal because the club is not anchored. If anyone complains I will refer them to this drawing.

I also have, and sometimes use a 48" long putter when my back is bothering me. I use it like Langer. Anchored on the practice strokes, then not anchored on the putt.

One of the worst rules in golf stutter step Keegs may still be relevant
Never understood the ruling, but especially now in context of the technology available in putters.

"one or both elbows braced against body"
What is this? This is something I gotta try..

Don't get me started on the anchor ban. Heck, you can anchor your driver if you want to.

"one or both elbows braced against body"
What is this? This is something I gotta try..
I brace my elbows against my body with a standard putter. Everything is locked into place, swing is all shoulder turn.

I am thinking of cutting my 48" putter down 2 inches to make it easier to see that it is clearly not anchored. With it at 48" I feel like it looks like it is anchored like Langer does which I feel is a bad look.

Who cares about look? If you're not anchoring, you're not anchoring. Period.

I am thinking of cutting my 48" putter down 2 inches to make it easier to see that it is clearly not anchored. With it at 48" I feel like it looks like it is anchored like Langer does which I feel is a bad look.

Did mine at 46” and no worries

Who cares about look? If you're not anchoring, you're not anchoring. Period.

I do. Look I think the rule is stupid. That said I don’t want it to appear I am cheating. I think it is a bad look for Langer and McCarron. I have seen Langer putt in person and there is no visible gap. I don’t want people to think I am cheating.

I do. Look I think the rule is stupid. That said I don’t want it to appear I am cheating. I think it is a bad look for Langer and McCarron. I have seen Langer putt in person and there is no visible gap. I don’t want people to think I am cheating.

I understand that. But if you aren't cheating, you know you aren't cheating, and it's working for you, I say the heck with how it looks.

Back