I started off with a starter kit from our local store and have expanded out from there. They will know best on how to get you started into exactly what you want to do. Brewing all grains take a lot of time, and skill, being an entry level brewer myself I recommend trying out some of the brewers best extract kits you can pick up at your local store and going from there. They have everything you need in them, including the step by step recipe so you can get what you want out of it.

The only recommendation I have for everyone though is.... do not go cheap and buy a Mr. Beer kit, spend a little more and buy a decent starter kit.

http://www.brewersbestkits.com/recipes.html

Crap WU, that's a HECK of an awesome set up! Next time we get together, you need to bring a few bottles of you best stuff to try out!

It's something I've thought about doing in the past, but never felt I had the time, money to skills to make it work.

I'm pretty excited about this stout, I've Brewed some decent beers thus far, so I'm hoping this one turns out good as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have any of you ever had your beer while fermenting come through you air lock? I had it happen with this batch, and I am not 100% sure what would have caused it

Have any of you ever had your beer while fermenting come through you air lock? I had it happen with this batch, and I am not 100% sure what would have caused it
It just means that the fermentation is going crazy and there is not enough head space in the fermentor. It's no problem. Just make sure the airlock and lid is still tightly sealed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Damn what a set up. Like I mentioned before it has always been a ponder of mine, but have never found the time.

For those that have been brewing, would you recommend any of those starter kits, or are they just that starter kits? I would be looking to do a chocolate porter or stout of some sorts.
If you want to make the drive, Cleveland Brew Shop is a great local shop for all the supplies you'd need to get started.

It's just some overzealous yeast fermentation.
It happens everytime I brew a Hefe.
Try this to off set it:
carboy-blowoff.JPG

Commonly called a blow off tube. Just run tubing from the fermentation vessel to a container that has some Star San (or whatever you use for sanitizer).

Crap WU, that's a HECK of an awesome set up! Next time we get together, you need to bring a few bottles of you best stuff to try out!

It's something I've thought about doing in the past, but never felt I had the time, money to skills to make it work.

Unfortunately I have zero home brew right now as my kids crap has taken over my brew setup. I will be brewing something for the summer.

Normally I have several beers on tap.
63C3A682-DA1D-4D6C-8D71-4569AF44C5A7-8141-0000050AB15565DD_zps2b6fb018.jpg

798E301E-8448-4D99-ABFC-C6A5DA72CB7B-461-000000449D9BBE70_zpsf63c0958.jpg

It just means that the fermentation is going crazy and there is not enough head space in the fermentor. It's no problem. Just make sure the airlock and lid is still tightly sealed.

Thank you for your information, my airlock seems to be a little low liquid wise ( It is filled with stout right now) should I pull it, clean it, refill it, and resanitize the it and put it back in or just leave it?

Unfortunately I have zero home brew right now as my kids crap has taken over my brew setup. I will be brewing something for the summer.

Normally I have several beers on tap.
63C3A682-DA1D-4D6C-8D71-4569AF44C5A7-8141-0000050AB15565DD_zps2b6fb018.jpg

798E301E-8448-4D99-ABFC-C6A5DA72CB7B-461-000000449D9BBE70_zpsf63c0958.jpg

thats a very cool setup

Thank you for your information, my airlock seems to be a little low liquid wise ( It is filled with stout right now) should I pull it, clean it, refill it, and resanitize the it and put it back in or just leave it?

I would just leave it.

You can probably go either way. As long as the airlock stays sealed you should be fine. However, I usually clean it and replace or switch to a blow off hose.

If you do choose to clean and replace, be sure to replace the airlock quickly to avoid too much air getting into your carboy or bucket. If it is still fermenting, you'll have enough of a CO2 covering over the beer to prevent it getting infected and any air would get pushed out of the airlock rather quickly during fermentation if you are able to switch it out quickly. I try to have an extra airlock or my blowoff tube handy that I can sanitize quickly if I need it.

My last batch blew off pretty heavily but that happened because I overpitched the yeast so the fermentation was very quick.

I'm thinking I didn't leave enough head space on this, and it's showing as a higher gravity stout due to the increase in malt. I have a feeling that is what my issue was

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pretty much copied this guy when I went all grain: http://hbd.org/cascade/dennybrew/

Its a pretty simple method for sparging and was pretty easy to cobble together the hardware.
There's probably a bunch of apps out there these days that can calculate the water temps you need as well.

Damn what a set up. Like I mentioned before it has always been a ponder of mine, but have never found the time.

For those that have been brewing, would you recommend any of those starter kits, or are they just that starter kits? I would be looking to do a chocolate porter or stout of some sorts.

If I had remembered this thread, I could've talked your ear off about it last weekend.

Might be of interest but this company has just released all of it's recipes, I can vouch the make some great beers
https://www.brewdog.com/diydog

If I had remembered this thread, I could've talked your ear off about it last weekend.

That would have been great. Guess we will need to get another round in soon.

For anyone interested, BrewDog from Scotland (who is building their American brewery here in Columbus) has released home-brew recipes for their entire beer catalog.

https://www.brewdog.com/diydog

I'm prepping to make the Electric India tomorrow.

Sitting at jrex1434's place having a few beers and trying his latest batch. Peanut butter stout. All I can say is this is amazing. Tastes like Reese's puffs cereal and coffee in a beer. Hats off to you brother!

Last edited:
Sitting at jrex1434's place having a few beers and trying his late at batch. Peanut butter stout. All I can say is this is amazing. Tastes like Reese's puffs cereal and coffee in a beer. Hats off to you brother!

That sounds good. Interesting, but good.

Back