THP Regional Rivalry - DC/MD/VA vs Carolinas Sponsored By True Temper

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by mikedean441
So now that the fields are set, and the formats are known, what kind of golfer benefits/compliments you most as a partner?

Do you need length off the tee to have shorter iron shots, need someone with a good short game, or a good putter...etc?

I copied this from the Ohio Michigan thread.... What do you think???

i believe my game is complimented by a golfer who understands we are amateurs and we make bad shots and no need to apologize for that. I also feel I can adapt to any playing partners style and I don't have a preference on type of partner other than one how like me tries to keep the ball in front of them.

quote_icon.png
So now that the fields are set, and the formats are known, what kind of golfer benefits/compliments you most as a partner?

Do you need length off the tee to have shorter iron shots, need someone with a good short game, or a good putter...etc?

Give me someone that puts me in the fairway off the tee or at least always keeps the ball in play. I normally feel pretty good with irons/wedges in my hand although lately my game has been reversed.

I could certainly use some length!!

So now that the anticipation is over how's everyone doing? The weather seems to be getting ready to make a turn for the better, the courses are getting ready to come in to form, spring is almost here. You guys got the itch? are you day dreaming yet?

Hopefully the guys that didn't get picked will continue to post in here and support their regions, there are so many events this year it's not funny and the opportunities abound.
I'm not going anywhere, i loved this place long before the event, and will love it long after RR has come and gone. I'm heading into a very busy time of year at work, but you'll still see me here and throughout the forum, supporting the team in anyway I can, and still plan on coming down to the event.

This is really well said.
Its a lose lose lose lose lose lose lose situation all for a win win win situation.
You have 7 spots and 20 people that want to be a part of it. All 20 can make a case that they are amazing THPers, are looking to be a part of something memorable and just want a chance to join in.
Random to start with gave each team 5 players (including the captain). Then they have to choose another 3 players out of a dozen or so and no matter what, there will be joy and there will be disappointment. The agony that these guys had to go through knowing no matter what they did, they get sh!t on is something that I have felt before, but its never fun.

T2GRN is absolutely right though, each person can choose to deal with that how they may and with a full schedule of awesome events this year including some pretty darn grand events, we hope they continue to be a part of the community.

I would really hope nobody gave any captain Sh*& over not being picked. Did I tell T2GRN18, I was disappointed as hell? yes I did, I would hope he'd expect that, you don't want someone who it didn't really matter to. But I also told him I understood he was in a no win situation and had to do what he felt was right for the ENTIRE region. I do realize it's not just a DMV team, but Virginia is a pretty big area.

As said above, I'll support the event as much as I can from the non playing aspect. It'll be great to go down and meet the CAROLINA guys I haven't met, hang with the DMV team as much as the format allows.

To sum it up...I"m not going anywhere, despite what anybody thinks!!!

edit: fixed to not exclude the great state of South Carolina!!

Last edited:
It'll be great to go down and meet the NC guys I haven't met, hang with the DMV team as much as the format allows.
Again with the forgetting of SC! I'm gonna fight every one of you guys when RR rolls around if you people keep doing this!

LOL.

Spoiler
No, I'm really not going to fight anyone. That's just silly.

Again with the forgetting of SC! I'm gonna fight every one of you guys when RR rolls around if you people keep doing this!

LOL.

Spoiler
Well I used to live in SC, so I have a good reason for forgetting it.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Well I used to live in SC, so I have a good reason for forgetting it.
Ouch! Would say this should probably be saved for over a beer, but maybe we'll let sleeping dogs lie ... ha ha ha

i believe my game is complimented by a golfer who understands we are amateurs and we make bad shots and no need to apologize for that. I also feel I can adapt to any playing partners style and I don't have a preference on type of partner other than one how like me tries to keep the ball in front of them.

Remember you said that. :D

LOL.

Spoiler

Wait are you telling me we have two Carolina's in this country?

I can top it, and not really much of a need for that out on the course!

One day you're going to be under a tree and need that shot and regret not putting the 4 wood in the bag =)

quote_icon.png

I think I need a partner who likes to smile and forgets bad shots quickly.

We should pair up well!

I could certainly use some length!!

That's what she said!

A question for the participants: What can those of us not playing in the event do most to show our support or help the effort. I plan to:
* Still be as active as possible in the thread, maybe a bit more reading now than posting, but will contribute thoughts where I have them.
* Try to a call out or two of the local guys when I can
* May have the chance to play RNK next Thursday and pass along any info or tips that I come up with
* Join guys at the range or have them out to my course for practice sessions
* And of course I plan on making it down to RNK for the meet and greet, range session and dinner if available.

But beyond that if there is anything specific we can do that would help you guys get prepared and stay motivated

quote_icon.png

I've got enough distance, in most cases, to keep a reasonable club in my hand for an approach (providing the ball stays in play). I would be best off to be paired with a good green reader. It's a weakness of mine. I can't get down and read putts like most because of my knees... and I miss a lot of what others see.

Someone with a good short game would be good, too. I tend to miss a lot of greens... so knowing that if I leave my partner within 30 yards of the flag we've got a decent shot at an up & down will make for more comfortable swings on approach shots when the time comes.

A question for the participants: What can those of us not playing in the event do most to show our support or help the effort. I plan to:
* Still be as active as possible in the thread, maybe a bit more reading now than posting, but will contribute thoughts where I have them.
* May have the chance to play RNK next Thursday and pass along any info or tips that I come up with
* And of course I plan on making it down to RNK for the meet and greet, range session and dinner if available.

But beyond that if there is anything specific we can do that would help you guys get prepared and stay motivated

Challenge the local guys, Stay active on the forum.

I think a big one for me is talk the event up to others that may not even be on THP. Just a hey this is an awesome thing happening in our region and btw they have them all over the country topped off with the biggest event of them all the Granddaddy. This helps grow THP outside of what we currently are.

Most of the Carolina team has never been to an official event/are newer members and the same with many DMV members new members are good for us all and help drive the site to be able to do bigger and better things each year. It leads to us being able to have more and more people that share a common interest locally and allows for us to expand the amount of people we play with which is always a good thing. Best of all it introduces us to amazing people we otherwise may not have met.

So in summary I think the best thing is be an ambassador on the site and off the site.

Definitely what Ron said. I found this place on my own, searching for information on golf courses where I moved. Over the last 2 weeks or so, though... I've spoken to a lot of my golfing buddies about it. Now... they're not the type of people to jump on internet forums, necessarily... but they've definitely asked me about this event and how I got involved.

On a note unrelated to the current conversation... I got out this morning and posted a 9 hole score of 47, with a 12 on my 3rd hole. For handicap posting, it was an ESC score of 42. Outside of that horrible hole, I finally felt comfortable standing over a golf ball for the first time this year. It was nice to hit shots I know I'm capable of hitting again.

Free Beer would be nice!!

Seriously, maybe some good practice matches would help considering the geographical challenges we all face!!

Carolina guys I was looking at somewhere to play Check out larkin country club in Statesville, NC. Rates are really good and it has good reviews. Maybe we cant get up a few tee times and play a round or 2. It seems to be kinda in the middle for alot of us. For me it will be about an hours drive.

Carolina guys I was looking at somewhere to play Check out larkin country club in Statesville, NC. Rates are really good and it has good reviews. Maybe we cant get up a few tee times and play a round or 2. It seems to be kinda in the middle for alot of us. For me it will be about an hours drive.

I've heard good things about Larkin. I used to pass by there when it was still Fox Den all the time when I covered locations in Troutman and Statesville. I always wanted to take an early afternoon off and play there. I'd definitely be interested in meeting there at some point.

I've heard good things about Larkin. I used to pass by there when it was still Fox Den all the time when I covered locations in Troutman and Statesville. I always wanted to take an early afternoon off and play there. I'd definitely be interested in meeting there at some point.

I'm game. Tuesday's and Thursday are the only days during the week I can play. Looking at their site the am rates are around $30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larkin isn't far from me, and it's a decent course. I'm hoping to play there Sunday, in fact.

Larkin isn't far from me, and it's a decent course. I'm hoping to play there Sunday, in fact.

Cool. Looks like several of us are fairly close. I guess let's try to pin down a day in the coming weeks to meet up and maybe play all day.

quote_icon.png

I think a solid iron player, or a good putter will complement my game a lot. As for a partner, I don't need or want a big cheerleader. I'm good with someone telling me to hit it close or whatnot, but constant cheering shuts me off. Also, I'm not looking for a caddie or coach-someone who wants to talk about every little thing about each shot.

Basically, I want a partner who wants to have some fun and pound that little ball all over New Kent.

I think a solid iron player, or a good putter will complement my game a lot. As for a partner, I don't need or want a big cheerleader. I'm good with someone telling me to hit it close or whatnot, but constant cheering shuts me off. Also, I'm not looking for a caddie or coach-someone who wants to talk about every little thing about each shot.

Basically, I want a partner who wants to have some fun and pound that little ball all over New Kent.

Pretty much ditto. He kinda stole my words

Back