cyoung2ty

Reaction score
Handicap
I've always held the club in the most comfortable way for me, which has apparently always been wrong. I've used an overlap grip, but what was most comfortable for me was to have a strong left (top) hand and a weak right (bottom) hand. I've played a fade for as long as I've played the game. I assumed it was because of my over-the-top out-to-in swing. I felt comfortable with the club in my hands as it was, so I never bothered to change it.

Recently, I've been working on things in my garage with the Optishot system. A lot of my shots would read as a straight path, but with an open clubface. I experimented with turning my bottom hand underneath the grip some, giving me a strong grip with both hands. It instantly improved the clubface AND the swing speed.

Thing is... it feels very awkward. How long do grip changes typically take before they become 'normal' for most players? Is it something I can expect to 'work out' in a week or so if I'm either in the garage or on the range daily for a few hours or should I anticipate longer?

To me they take about 200 swings.

That's not as bad as I assumed! I can deal with that.

Sent From My Samsung Note 4 Using Tapatalk

Part of my efforts to rebuild my swing dealt with grip changes. It take time to get used to it, and for me, I need to consciously make sure I don't revert back to my old grip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really quick for me, less than 30 swings. I have a very light grip so the feeling of a changed grip is not as pronounced.

I've always held the club in the most comfortable way for me, which has apparently always been wrong. I've used an overlap grip, but what was most comfortable for me was to have a strong left (top) hand and a weak right (bottom) hand. I've played a fade for as long as I've played the game. I assumed it was because of my over-the-top out-to-in swing. I felt comfortable with the club in my hands as it was, so I never bothered to change it.

Recently, I've been working on things in my garage with the Optishot system. A lot of my shots would read as a straight path, but with an open clubface. I experimented with turning my bottom hand underneath the grip some, giving me a strong grip with both hands. It instantly improved the clubface AND the swing speed.

Thing is... it feels very awkward. How long do grip changes typically take before they become 'normal' for most players? Is it something I can expect to 'work out' in a week or so if I'm either in the garage or on the range daily for a few hours or should I anticipate longer?

Depends how long you've been playing/using the other grip I would say. I went through a grip change last year and it took me a while. Especially because the results will be a bit ugly at first generally. Also, when you play on the course, rather than just on the range, or practice swings, its very easy to cheat and resort back to what is comfortable. Good luck.

I went from an interlocking to an overlap and it took a couple range sessions until it felt comfortable. Now interlocking feels weird. But I grip the club better and it's helped a lot with power and consistency. Stick with it and you'll get it.

Everyone is different in terms of how much time it will take, but I've also been going through a grip change recently, took me a couple of weeks to feel comfortable, and that was with hitting balls twice/week. What also helped me is that I have a spare club in my house, I'll use that club to practice my new grip for 5-10 minutes at a time while watching TV. That helps me get used to the feel of the grip without the added stress of hitting balls with a new grip.

Everyone is different in terms of how much time it will take, but I've also been going through a grip change recently, took me a couple of weeks to feel comfortable, and that was with hitting balls twice/week. What also helped me is that I have a spare club in my house, I'll use that club to practice my new grip for 5-10 minutes at a time while watching TV. That helps me get used to the feel of the grip without the added stress of hitting balls with a new grip.
That's what I do often. I keep my bag in my living room most of the time, so I'll grab a wedge or something and just grip it while watching TV or talking with my wife.

Sent From My Samsung Note 4 Using Tapatalk

Just changing strong to weak or weak to strong shouldn't take long, maybe a few hundred balls.

Just hate making grip changes wether it's for the irons or putter. Even small changes feel awful and it takes me a long time to convert. Like others have mentioned, practice your new grip while watching TV. I find that it does help shorten the adjustment period. Give it a try.

I use a modified baseball grip on neutral position. It took me a couple of years to adjust, coming from an interlocking grip for 16 years. But it was worth it.

I'm not sure if it's going to work for you, but if you have a neutral grip, it may be easier to square the clubface without overcooking or undercooking it.

I changed my grip about 15 months ago and it wasn't hard from a swing perspective. Hardest part was to be very conscious of making sure that I didn't lapse back to my old grip. Now it's pretty much second nature. It was a key to bring a better ballstriker.

I switched to a stronger grip last year and it took me a couple of rounds and a few range sessions to get used to it. For me it was finding a routine that made me make sure my old muscle memory didnt creep in and go back to my old grip. I feel like i'm hitting the ball straighter now and less of a left to right ball flight.

I went from an interlocking to an overlap and it took a couple range sessions until it felt comfortable. Now interlocking feels weird. But I grip the club better and it's helped a lot with power and consistency. Stick with it and you'll get it.

This was me as well. I also feel like the overlapping lets me get the grip more in the fingers of the right (lower) hand which really helps with power and getting a square(ish) face at impact.

My instructor had me strengthen my grip and it still feels a bit strange.
I will keep at it though.

I have played a fade for the longest. My instructor had me working with a stronger grip and it has straightened my ball flight out alot more than I ever expected. It feels extremely weird, but the results are there. It is the first swing thought that I have on my mind when I walk to the tee box or at the range.

i'm going on over 2 years. it still doesn't feel right, and i'm not sure it ever will.

Depending on how drastic the change it can take a while.

Can be extremely tough to change for some folks. Took me 6 sessions of 45 minutes each before I could put my hands on the club the new way and not think about it!!

Keep your clubs in your house. Walk by from time to time and grab one for a second with the new grip.
I changed my grip between a month layoff, and by the time I played a round it felt normal.
I went from from a weak top hand and neutral bottom. To strong and strong. Felt weird at first around house, but I killed it on the course. Oddly enough, it tamed my hook to draw. I think it helped to naturally turn my shoulders at address.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I went to the range this morning and hit some balls. It definitely feels odd, and there were some shots that were just... whoa... but overall, I was definitely hitting the ball straighter. Now I'm finding that I pull the ball. It used to be that it started out left and would work back right, but now it's a straight pull.

The most difficult part for me is that I feel like my right wrist is at a very odd angle to start the swing. It's certainly not a 'natural' feel.

I'll stick with it and see what comes of it.

I went to the range this morning and hit some balls. It definitely feels odd, and there were some shots that were just... whoa... but overall, I was definitely hitting the ball straighter. Now I'm finding that I pull the ball. It used to be that it started out left and would work back right, but now it's a straight pull.

The most difficult part for me is that I feel like my right wrist is at a very odd angle to start the swing. It's certainly not a 'natural' feel.

Check your club position throughout the swing.

If you haven't already, get videos of down the line and front views of your swing and post them in the Swing Tips section of the forum for the site pro Tadashi/Freddie to view. Video is going to be the best way for people to help you with the next step to correct the pull.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?29-Swing-Tips-With-Freddie-Kong

I had to weaken my grip in small steps. Took me about 2 months to get it to where I wanted it, now my old grip feels completely weird.

Back