Full swinging....but cross handed?

NTXNoodler

Reaction score
Handicap
Is this a thing? Was at range for a bit today and noticed it happening down the row. Tried not to be a stalker but man I have never seen this before. He was flipping wedges down there like it wasn't nothing. Impressed me.

He had a couple woods on ground. I should have hung around longer.

Anyone seen this before? I have enough of a challenge with proper grip let alone backwards. Lol
d01cc2a81840d6d413f39e20a0435442.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Is this a thing? Was at range for a bit today and noticed it happening down the row. Tried not to be a stalker but man I have never seen this before. He was flipping wedges down there like it wasn't nothing. Impressed me.

Anyone seen this before? I have enough of a challenge with proper grip let alone backwards. Lol

There was a guy on big break several years ago that did this. If I remember correctly he was pretty dang good and it was the same year that Tony Finau and his brother gipper were on the show.

There was a guy on big break several years ago that did this. If I remember correctly he was pretty dang good and it was the same year that Tony Finau and his brother gipper were on the show.
All I was thinking is his hand eye coordination has to be better than mine the way the club was flipping thru at the bottom. I would be chili dipping like crazy.

There was a gentleman in Central Virginia doing the same thing and when I discussed it with him he explained it was due to an injury. He said that was the only way he could swing. He was hitting a driver well cross-handed and it blew me away.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

There was a gentleman in Central Virginia doing the same thing and when I discussed it with him he explained it was due to an injury. He said that was the only way he could swing. He was hitting a driver well cross-handed and it blew me away.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
That's awesome, I mean not the injury but just the motion of the swing and making it work.

Here's a pro that plays cross handed....

Never heard of this. Pretty cool though.

Isn't Charles Barkley's new go to the reverse grip? Pretty sure I read somewhere that he loves it.

There is a guy in my golf league that plays this way. He actually hits the ball pretty good and is a high single digit. It looks awkward as hell to me but I can't even putt left hand low

That is pretty crazy. I have tried hitting with my hands separated and that was hard enough. I need to try this next time I am on the range. Of course I will use my old irons in case I snap the head off.

My 7 year old swings this way. It bothered me and the dad and coach in me were about to come out. Didn't say anything at the time. Researched it later after we got home from the range and basically all the research say that for a kid his age, just let him do his thing.

Never seen an adult doing it though. First brain pass thinking about this, it fixes some problems and creates some.

As someone with a home grown long drive type swing, if it works, go ahead and rock it. Can't imagine you could generate much CHS that way, but I can see someone being able to dial in shorter clubs. Yin and Yang.

For the last few years, off and on Vijay Singh has been playing his green side chips and pitches with a cross handed technique.

For the last few years, off and on Vijay Singh has been playing his green side chips and pitches with a cross handed technique.

anybody with the chipping Y-word should consider experimenting with a left-hand-low technique

anybody with the chipping Y-word should consider experimenting with a left-hand-low technique

I suffer from chipping yips and have tried left-hand-low, but without much success. I may give it another try
Sadly, the only way I shoot a low score is if I hit just about every green in regulation, and that is very hard to do.

Back in NY, there was one guy on LI who played with us maybe once per month in a money match who played that way.

Darn good player, near scratch. Wasn't very long but was really accurate with great touch.

I've heard that a lot of children just naturally grab a club and swing this way. That's where I have seen it the most.

I played a scramble with a guy that played cross handed, it was so awkward just watching it. He was unbelievably bad though, I was actually questioning to myself if he could be any worse swinging the club normally. But maybe he was having an off day, he has to be playing that way for a reason.

A guy at my club plays this way

I have played with him once and to me it looks strange but it works for him and he hits the ball fairly well

On one of Erik Anders Lang's recent youtube videos in Scotland (think it may have been Dunbar) the pro he played with gripped it this way.

It's strange to watch but he was a hell of a player.

Apparently it's relatively common in Ireland, because that's how they use their hurling sticks

My brother and I were both sub-6 handicaps in high school, and when we visited my grandmother in Warrenton, GA, the pro at the local course played his ball against our best ball... He kicked our butts, and played cross-handed the entire time. This was probably in 1980.

We asked him to swing slowly so we could see how he did it. His swing was very solid and free, but neither of us could make a cross-handed swing without a lot of discomfort. The dude was a damn good golfer though, and could outdrive us too.

One time at the 500-Club in Phoenix, AZ, we saw a guy teaching students with some bizarre grip (it seemed almost like a split grip with a claw - to this day I can't remember exactly how it went). But all of the students were crushing long irons to the back of the range, carrying about 270-yds! For several years, I heard from others that had seen people playing this way, but that was mid-1990's and I guess that fad never went very far.

My brother and I were both sub-6 handicaps in high school, and when we visited my grandmother in Warrenton, GA, the pro at the local course played his ball against our best ball... He kicked our butts, and played cross-handed the entire time. This was probably in 1980.

We asked him to swing slowly so we could see how he did it. His swing was very solid and free, but neither of us could make a cross-handed swing without a lot of discomfort. The dude was a damn good golfer though, and could outdrive us too.

One time at the 500-Club in Phoenix, AZ, we saw a guy teaching students with some bizarre grip (it seemed almost like a split grip with a claw - to this day I can't remember exactly how it went). But all of the students were crushing long irons to the back of the range, carrying about 270-yds! For several years, I heard from others that had seen people playing this way, but that was mid-1990's and I guess that fad never went very far.

When I was about five years old, I picked up the bat cross-handed and my dad said, "Don't do that - you'll break your wrists!" To this day, thinking about even trying left hand low putting makes me think twice.

Charlie Owens played cross-handed and had some success on the senior tour in the eighties. He had a remarkable story. Self-taught golfer, played football at Florida A&M, drafted into the army where he tore up his knee parachuting. While he was in a hospital rehabbing after a knee surgery he picked up a golf magazine and decided he could be a pro golfer. He was probably the first to use a long handled putter. He won a little money on the PGA Tour but won twice on the Senior Tour.

Back