Cobra KING F6 Driver - THP Review Thread

146489606_1431670320.jpg

The KING has arrived... with our initial thoughts on the Cobra F6. Golf Headquaters was nice enough to let me use their sim and get a little help in dialing in this new royal weapon

First thoughts... It's short. I don't mean distance, I mean it's short. At 45.25" it is about 3/4" shorter than my X-Hot. And I can tell the difference right away. That's not a bad thing, shorter shaft means easier to control. So I'm all in favor.
Adjustments: Holy crap, there's a lot of them. This is why I wanted / needed to go somewhere and get some help. At the stock setting in came out of the box in it was at 10.5* with the weight up front. That felt okay, but was launching between 13-15*... a bit high. We played around some with it and eventually settled on 9.5* with the weight in the back. That get the launch angle to 11-13* (closer to 11-12.5* really) which is much better. Ball speed was in the mid to upper 150's for both settings and the x-hot.
Distance: This was about equal. Considering the the F 6 is almost a full inch shorter it's impressive. They didn't have swing speed up on the display but max distance with both drivers was about 277-278 range. That was when I flushed them. When I didn't but still hit the fairway (we'll get to that in a moment) it was closer to 255-265 avg.
Forgiveness: Here is where it get's a bit tricky (with a 23.9 hcp). I've been fighting my driver swing lately (lot of push fade), I'll be honest the F-6 didn't cure it. (shocking, I know) But, at least on the sim, it seemed to be closer to playable than my X-hot. I seem to be catching it on the inside of the face, not a shank inside, but definitely more inside than out. I would have thought it would have been the other way with the sorter shaft. But that just proves it's a swing thing to be worked on more my next lesson. The F-6 did seem to keep all those shots very close to each other though, even if they were slightly in the trees.
Overall: For the first time I ever swung it, it felt pretty good. The sorter shaft may take a bit of getting used to, it also feels a good bit lighter than the x-hot. I really like the shiny black look at address (I don't think orange would have been bad either). Seeing the launch angle adjustment actually changing numbers significantly was pretty cool. Once it was dialed in they were pretty consistent too (even on push swings). That is encouraging, that the club is doing what it is supposed to. With a little more consistent swing I'm sure I can get more out it. By July it will be fully ready to collect a few Carolinian scalps. I will see if I have time to get to the range tomorrow for outdoor ball flight testing, and try to actually take it on a course this weekend (in myrtle beach no less). Once again thanks to Cobra, and THP for this awesome new weapon.

Cobra KING F6 Driver - THP Review Thread

Huhhh, first off, great write up.

But are you sure 13-15* launch was high for you? That's pretty solid for someone with around that SS (based on your distances).

Yeah, 13-15 is pretty freaking solid.

great thoughts your majesty! what was your carry at 10.5 vs 9.5? i would think that 13-15 launch would be great.

146489606_1431670320.jpg

The KING has arrived... with our initial thoughts on the Cobra F6. Golf Headquaters was nice enough to let me use their sim and get a little help in dialing in this new royal weapon

First thoughts... It's short. I don't mean distance, I mean it's short. At 45.25" it is about 3/4" shorter than my X-Hot. And I can tell the difference right away. That's not a bad thing, shorter shaft means easier to control. So I'm all in favor.
Adjustments: Holy crap, there's a lot of them. This is why I wanted / needed to go somewhere and get some help. At the stock setting in came out of the box in it was at 10.5* with the weight up front. That felt okay, but was launching between 13-15*... a bit high. We played around some with it and eventually settled on 9.5* with the weight in the back. That get the launch angle to 11-13* (closer to 11-12.5* really) which is much better. Ball speed was in the mid to upper 150's for both settings and the x-hot.
Distance: This was about equal. Considering the the F 6 is almost a full inch shorter it's impressive. They didn't have swing speed up on the display but max distance with both drivers was about 277-278 range. That was when I flushed them. When I didn't but still hit the fairway (we'll get to that in a moment) it was closer to 255-265 avg.
Forgiveness: Here is where it get's a bit tricky (with a 23.9 hcp). I've been fighting my driver swing lately (lot of push fade), I'll be honest the F-6 didn't cure it. (shocking, I know) But, at least on the sim, it seemed to be closer to playable than my X-hot. I seem to be catching it on the inside of the face, not a shank inside, but definitely more inside than out. I would have thought it would have been the other way with the sorter shaft. But that just proves it's a swing thing to be worked on more my next lesson. The F-6 did seem to keep all those shots very close to each other though, even if they were slightly in the trees.
Overall: For the first time I ever swung it, it felt pretty good. The sorter shaft may take a bit of getting used to, it also feels a good bit lighter than the x-hot. I really like the shiny black look at address (I don't think orange would have been bad either). Seeing the launch angle adjustment actually changing numbers significantly was pretty cool. Once it was dialed in they were pretty consistent too (even on push swings). That is encouraging, that the club is doing what it is supposed to. With a little more consistent swing I'm sure I can get more out it. By July it will be fully ready to collect a few Carolinian scalps. I will see if I have time to get to the range tomorrow for outdoor ball flight testing, and try to actually take it on a course this weekend (in myrtle beach no less). Once again thanks to Cobra, and THP for this awesome new weapon.

holy **** the King of the Blues!!! you guys need to check out BB live from Japan,1971. :banana:
Anyway, how does the new KING driver compare to the old Amp Cell/Bio Cell in terms of lateral forgiveness and ball flight?

holy **** the King of the Blues!!! you guys need to check out BB live from Japan,1971. :banana:
Anyway, how does the new KING driver compare to the old Amp Cell/Bio Cell in terms of lateral forgiveness and ball flight?

Having reviewed and/or gamed all 3 of those heads, the F6 will launch easier and spin less. In fact, a good bit less, ESPECIALLY compared to the Amp Cell.

Additionally, the E9 face has evolved quite a bit and the ability of the face to retain ball speeds on misses is improved, particularly lower on the face. It really is a significant improvement IMO.

All hail King Huhh. Congrats again on winning THP King of the Month for February and killer first writeup.
Enjoy the driver.

wow that sounds nice. Now I have to seriously consider that one. Can't wait for demo days here in europe. stupid winter:banghead:
The Driver is pretty much my worst club in the bag, hopefully this one can help me out a little bit:) It even got to the point to where I was carrying a 3 wood as the longest club in my bag during the summer.

Huhhh, first off, great write up.

But are you sure 13-15* launch was high for you? That's pretty solid for someone with around that SS (based on your distances).

Yeah, 13-15 is pretty freaking solid.

I don't know, 13-15 felt good. The guy (store peasant) helping me wanted to get it to 11*. The distance at the lower launch was a bit less, but may have been a touch straighter. He said he liked the carry numbers with the lower launch. Though...I can't remember what they were.

I don't know, 13-15 felt good. The guy (store peasant) helping me wanted to get it to 11*. The distance at the lower launch was a bit less, but may have been a touch straighter. He said he liked the carry numbers with the lower launch. Though...I can't remember what they were.

Yea 11* for me is low, and from your ball speed/distance numbers we're pretty close. I see a lot better carry/total numbers with it up towards 13-14*. If the 10.5* was about that, I'd give that a go. That's really solid.

Yea 11* for me is low, and from your ball speed/distance numbers we're pretty close. I see a lot better carry/total numbers with it up towards 13-14*. If the 10.5* was about that, I'd give that a go. That's really solid.

The nice thing is that it seems pretty easy to switch around. Hopefully I'll get to try it outside and may switch it back.

The nice thing is that it seems pretty easy to switch around. Hopefully I'll get to try it outside and may switch it back.

Very true. Gotta love adjustable drivers!

Okay so, I'm in Myrtle Beach. Got the chance to hit a range (no time for anything else yet) and after fighting my swing through 1/2 bucket I seemed to get it under control. THEN I hit some driver. After several shot at 9.5* I switched back to 10.5* to see if I could tell a difference. The 10.5 felt way more forgiving and seemed to go straighter. Now, being on the range, I have no idea how far it was going but it did FEEL more solid at 10.5 than 9.5. Weight in the back for both. I starting to get some confidence with this club. I'm anxious to try it on an actual course.

Good stuff King Huhh. Looking forward to hearing about course time.

Figured this was the year I would finally buy myself a new driver and after hitting everything I could get my hands on, the F6 was the best for me. Even though I probably won't be able to golf outside for at least another month I bought myself an early birthday present (a month early but who's counting, haha). Unfortunately I don't have any numbers to show but I do remember I was hitting it about 20 yards further consistently than my Adams Fast 12 and the feel was amazing. Not even sure how to really describe it but it put a smile on my face....one of those "here just take my money now" moments. So hopefully once the Wisconsin winter leaves I will be able to give some more feedback. Oh and btw thanks Jman for the review, if I wouldn't have read it I probably wouldn't have even thought about hitting a Cobra!!

It was a busy weekend, but I did manage to get in 9 holes at Myrtle Beach yesterday (myrtlewood: Pine Lakes course if anyone knows it).

Actual on course testing of the Royal F6 results: Very good. It wasn't a particularly long course (from the whites) so I only pulled it 4 times. But of 3 of those 4 times I was in play. That may not sound like much but it is a HUGE improvement over what I have been fighting. By "in play" I mean a foot to 5ys off the fairway. Even the one I missed wasn't that bad, just hit a slide slope and rolled into water tight on the right side. Distance seemed pretty good. I only got two good measurements (1st one I forgot, and the one in the water I couldn't be super accurate where it landed). Both the measurements were 248, and both were into the wind, so I was happy.

The only drawback is this club does sometimes have a feedback problem. On the range many times I felt like smoked one, but the result was well... not smoked. I can feel it off the toe, but inside on the face and even low on the face FEEL pretty solid, even though they are not. It's not a huge problem (it's not like hitting a pillow) and is WELL worth the trade off in forgiveness. Especially since knowing where I missed, for me, usually results in adjustments that make it worse.

Overall, I really like this club and it is very close to being permanently crowned: Gamer.

THAT IS WRONG!!!! TAKE IT BACK. Golf mart must did a switch the cobra max shaft does not even have an adaptor on it.

Eventually I made it back to Golf Mart and they agreed to change out the shaft and even gave me the Cobra Max white Tie for my trouble. So now I have the real deal white tie and the cobra max white tie. I haven't hit the new real deal white tie yet but it does feel noticeably stiffer than the Cobra Max White Tie after bending both shafts. I really expected them to be identical and don't think it's just an illusion but you never know. Maybe Cobra and Matrix work together on a little less stiff shaft for the Cobra Max driver...

shafts_zpslm048u41.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Eventually I made it back to Golf Mart and they agreed to change out the shaft and even gave me the Cobra Max white Tie for my trouble. So now I have the real deal white tie and the cobra max white tie. I haven't hit the new real deal white tie yet but it does feel noticeably stiffer than the Cobra Max White Tie after bending both shafts. I really expected them to be identical and don't think it's just an illusion but you never know. Maybe Cobra and Matrix work together on a little less stiff shaft for the Cobra Max driver...

shafts_zpslm048u41.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

For whatever it's worth, both shafts were tweaked by Matrix for Cobra according to the head profile.

3be38542ed4a0437d6bb2711ece9fae5.jpg

Cobra F6 + Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue + Lamkin grip = Awesome setup

This looks like a combo of Duke Blue & Carolina blue. Carolina is better.
I might need to copy that blue grip for my next driver, which easily could be this F6.

I love this. I hope you hit it long and straight.

Hit the F6 on Trackman indoors today. Red tie stiff. Set to 9*. Weight back.
Numbers:
Ss: 106
Launch:12-13
Spin: 2600
Carry: 240
Total: 260
Also hit the Ltd with pretty much similar numbers but actually preferred the feel of the F6.
F6 felt a little heavier and I liked the bigger footprint at address.
Can anyone tell if those numbers are decent based on my ss?

Hit the F6 on Trackman indoors today. Red tie stiff. Set to 9*. Weight back.
Numbers:
Ss: 106
Launch:12-13
Spin: 2600
Carry: 240
Total: 260
Also hit the Ltd with pretty much similar numbers but actually preferred the feel of the F6.
F6 felt a little heavier and I liked the bigger footprint at address.
Can anyone tell if those numbers are decent based on my ss?

Those are pretty solid.

I have no doubt that some will come in and say lower spin would help, but IMO you are in a really really solid place there. I'd bet though if you tried it up a degree and got that launch up juuuuuuuust a bit more you would really unlock it. Its truly a really really good head.

I love this. I hope you hit it long and straight.
13/14 FIR yesterday. Didn't get yardages yesterday but I was in spots I typically am. The swing is still a work in progress, but certainly improving! This club does give me confidence standing over the ball, which doesn't hurt at all. Once the weather warms up, and I get a better handle on my swing, I expect the distances to creep upward some.

Back